Is it worth it?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigOldYamaha

Reaction score
Hey everybody,

My roommate just got a job at a scooter shop and he told me that there was a big Yamaha in the junkyard around back. I ended up going over and checking it out. And sure enough it's a vmax. I dont know too much about them, (aside from the fact that they are monsters) It's an '85, the odometer says 401 and it looks to be in mostly decent condition apart from being partially disassembled. Apparently the shop owner got it at a sheriff auction and was never able to get it running (with the techs he's got working there, I'm not surprised.)

I guess what I'm asking is what's a low mileage, non running '85 vmax worth? and how much am I going to have to replace?

P.S. I'll try to get some pics up sometime soon.

If it's decent cosmetically and you really want a project, offer them $250. Get a new tank, clean the fuel pump, and find a set of working carbs. It might be closer than you think. Sean has an electrical test kit that might help troubleshoot as well. With the help here, you can do almost anything.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4 Beta

The question is....what is it worth to you? I paid BLUE BOOK value on my 07 from a dealership...because I wanted it. 250 to 500 sounds about right, but there are people on this forum that have every part that you need...but realize that it will take you time and money to fix.

That being said, I like projects too. I have a 66 Dodge that you can see weeds growing thru the floor board, Ive had it for 14 years, and its outlasted 3 divorces.

I say jump at the chance because in the end, if you can get it running then you have one hell of a good bike at a steal. I picked my vmax up for 500 bucks because it wasn't running. With the help of this forum and all the great folks who post here I was a blue to get my max running for a total investment of $2000 including the cost of the bike. I've been wrenching on cars for 25 years but never a motorcycle so I do have some skills but with this forum I never had to rely on an outside mechanic or stealership for help. Also, if you need parts, this forum is a one stop shop, if you can't find it here then I doubt you will find it anywhere. Finally, as your getting that bike running, this forum helps you fix bugs before they mess with you if you just read a little, things like the crimp fix, the fur blur or steering head bearing fix and others. I am fairly new to this forum and the vmax scene but the help I've received from some of the guys on here it feels like I'm a part of a very select club and have been treated very well. Good luck if you choose to try a get her running.

Nah a complete waste of time, don't bother! But, you could tell me where it is!

#1 thing that I am surprised at is no one asked you for the serial #. That is something you want to know. A low production # & you jump to the top of the 1985 production registry! Big bragging rights on here for that.

ALso, it's a question of how-much $$ do you want to spend? There are enough people on here who live near you that you could ask for help in getting it running. And, as was mentioned, parts from guys on the forum are plentiful. At least you could find-out what's the matter w/it, and whether or not it's worth it to you to return it to the road. It could cost a few hundred bucks to being nothing more than a parts bike (still worth $500) depending on what all is there and what is broken or missing, or irreparable. I say, go back w/cash and get it for as cheap as you can, and then post pics-lots of pics! Then we may be able to see what's what. Remove the spark plugs, shoot some penetrating oil in the holes, and jump the starter, turn it over to see if it's stuck. Oh, and make sure it's got oil in it. If it's free and not stuck, a "good sign."

Go get it, as-cheaply as possible, and post your pics. Be prepared for a lotta posts after that.

What are the common problem areas? When I do take pics I want to make sure they speak to the scale of this project.

What are the common problem areas? When I do take pics I want to make sure they speak to the scale of this project.

Well, if this thing is in the weather, is the airbox still in-place? If the engine doesn't have carbs where they should be and an airbox sealed, you probably already are facing possible $$$ due to water infiltration of the engine. Parts bike! Or at least, a likely total teardown to see what's what. If the crankcase is filled with water, "parts bike!" Is the oil port showing white soapy looking residue? Ditto the oil port. A bad sign.

Look in the stickys and the How To threads for info on buying a used bike, and things to look for. That's the easiest, and will save us from re-posting all those things from scratch. Well-focused pics of components and assemblies and a few overall would allow us to se what is there. Don't forget the serial #! Since it's a theft recovery, the white I.D./VIN label may be gone from the steering head, but the number should be punched-into the metal tube next to where the label should be on the right side. Also take a pic in focus of the engine serial # too.

Here's a start: http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=28261&highlight=bike+things

http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=26991&highlight=bike+things

http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=26993&highlight=bike+things

I'd say it depends on how much spare time you have, what your spare time is worth and how much you enjoy troubleshooting and working on bikes as opposed to riding. If that bike has been sitting for so long, it is going to need LOTS of time and $$$ to get her street worthy and reliable. Getting it to run is the easy part, getting it to run right and replacing all the rubber, seals, cables, tires, shocks, etc... is going to be very time consuming and frustrating if you want a bike you can go ride anytime soon. I guess the answer to this question will be different for each person...just depends how much you love working on bikes as opposed to riding them. Sure sooner or later you'll have it all sorted out and she will be a great, reliable bike. Me personally, I'd rather spend $2500-$3000 for an 85 that has been maintained and is running well and go ride it that same day than to spend $2500-$3000 bringing a bike back from the dead and investing countless hours getting her there....but thats just my opinion..... You will definitely get a great sense of personal gratification from fixing up an old bike. I've definitely been there and done that, so choice is yours.....whats it really worth to you?
If you're looking for a project bike, then I say go for it! :punk:

Agree with most of what has been said above but I think Mr Boostmax sums it up succinctly.

Before wasting too much time check that the engine will turn over. Remove the plugs put it in second and turn the back wheel.
If it won't then you could be facing corrosion in the bores.
This could be anything from very light rusting where you could free up and if fortunate just replace the rings OR it could be a rusty pond in which case walk away. A gander down the plug 'oles may help establish how far gone they are.

If it is a going project then estimate how much it will cost in money and time...then double it at least!

Unless you like bringing bikes back from the dead spending the same or more than a running version doesn't make much sense to me.

Man if can post some pictures, so the guy's here can see it... There's some great guy's here that will help.

Make sure you take pics of : tires, frame junctions, inside gas tank, bottom of pipes/frame, Forks/bars straight on. That way the guys that know the most can give you good advice. I hope you get it for cheap and get it running.

I like the thought of ANYONE that keeps a Vmax from rusting into the ground. These are beautiful bikes...and dont deserve a death like that.

I think the other side of that is what are your skills? One of the biggest problems is going to be getting and replacing the small parts. Have you talked to the shop owner about what he might want for it? Plain fact is that there is no doubt a lot of good parts in that bike that you could strip out and sell on ebay. Thats a hassel but it can net you a good profit IF you get the wreck under $500. The other issue is if the dealer got a title with it. If its beens sitting for as long as it seems, that may be a big issue if you want to restore and ride it.

Now I think about anyone on this forum would jump on that bike for under $500. A lot of us would restore it and get it back on the road. That said, from a cost point of view, as you have no v-max experience and unlike a lot on here have no spare parts, The cost of restoring the bike will be high enough that I don't believe you will be able to sell it for more then you put in it. You can have a hell of a ride if you restore it to ride (assuming the title is not an issue). The big difference in riding and selling is that you have a great ride that looks kind of ratty.

The V-Max is not all that hard to work on. If you have worked on cars or other motorcycles, you can get your way thru it. If I could get it for $500, I would tear the whole thing down, then build it back up replacing parts, repainting, polishing as I went. You get it down and pull the heads and find a real mess, then you start selling parts.

I think the other side of that is what are your skills? One of the biggest problems is going to be getting and replacing the small parts. Have you talked to the shop owner about what he might want for it? Plain fact is that there is no doubt a lot of good parts in that bike that you could strip out and sell on ebay. Thats a hassel but it can net you a good profit IF you get the wreck under $500. The other issue is if the dealer got a title with it. If its beens sitting for as long as it seems, that may be a big issue if you want to restore and ride it.

Now I think about anyone on this forum would jump on that bike for under $500. A lot of us would restore it and get it back on the road. That said, from a cost point of view, as you have no v-max experience and unlike a lot on here have no spare parts, The cost of restoring the bike will be high enough that I don't believe you will be able to sell it for more then you put in it. You can have a hell of a ride if you restore it to ride (assuming the title is not an issue). The big difference in riding and selling is that you have a great ride that looks kind of ratty.

The V-Max is not all that hard to work on. If you have worked on cars or other motorcycles, you can get your way thru it. If I could get it for $500, I would tear the whole thing down, then build it back up replacing parts, repainting, polishing as I went. You get it down and pull the heads and find a real mess, then you start selling parts.[/QUOTE]

Yep, pretty-much what I was saying earlier. If you have a place to work on it, and the skills, you may have a diamond in the rough, seems like so-far the "rough" thing is the only part we know!

My post about water in the engine, and how intact it is, and the possibility about it being nothing-more than a parts-bike, is still awaiting additional info. Even if it's incomplete, and depending on what it's missing, and how-much effort you want to put into it, you could make money most likely, even if it is only for parts. Or, if you luck-out, and it's complete, the engine isn't seized, and the electrics are intact, along w/the carbs, then you can at least get it to run, and see whether or not it is a sponge for your time and $$. I wouldn't buy this as a bike you are going to easily return to the road and to sell at a profit. Needing several expensive items, such as the CDI box, the crank position sensor, a good set of carbs, new downtubes, and rubber boots for the carbs, well, at new stock prices, your talking several thousand dollars! Used is available, and is what I would recommend, but until you get it and see what's what, it's all b.s., conjecture, and W.A.G's. (wild-assed-guesses).

I'd say, buy that sucker for as-little as-possible, and then post a request for some guys on-here to come-see what you have. A case of beer and some sandwiches should get you an answer to, "is it a princess, or a pig?" Then you can either part it out, or embark on your journey. If you choose the latter, take pics, lots of pics. I suggest a cheap digital camera on a tripod you leave set-up, and document your disassembly, step-by-step. It makes it easier on reassembly, and we can see when you post 'em, what's OK and what's not OK.

Even if you part-out the bike, you may decide to buy one in better shape. I'd say that a $2500 investment should get you into a solid VMax w/a fair #/miles on it that you can replace what's needed, and maybe some of the stuff you don't sell can serve as either cores or exchange for better ones from someone like Patmax for powdercoated stuf; Kyle, who always sniffs-out used parts bikes, who has a lot of used parts to keep or get us running; or Sean Morley, who will be happy to hold your hand as you build a screaming performance machine, or poof-it-up w/eye-candy aftermarket or refurbished parts.

But, we are patiently waiting to see some pics, and,

what's the &^%$&^%!** VIN number??!!???:rofl_200:

Inquiring minds want to know.

Computer--- List all scooter dealers near pittsburgh, PA

"hello? Do you have an old Wreck of a Yamaha..."

BOYam... If you don't get some info on here soon, you're gonna have an impromptu bike rally at your shop. We all love these bikes. Some have waited years to get ours and poured blood, sweat, cash, and relationships into them.

Super Daves?

Nevermind... He specializes in Vmax's and surely would be able to get it running...

Last edited:
The way I see it is get the thing and show her some love. Worst case seniaro you buy a solid used engine and call it a day! I mean if you spend a couple thousand on it, you just bought yourself 2 new things. A Vmax and an education. Than you can be the one helping other people with their maxs like these other fine fellows. :punk:

I bought a $500 85 that was rough, but the guy started coming out with boxes of extras. Spare high millage engine, 3 extra complete heads, a Corbin seat, a stock seat. I've rebuilt the stage 7 carbs. that were on it. I started selling off a few parts, then it hit me. Why not put it on the road?

Latest posts

Back