Is there a simpler way

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Transam

Reaction score
Well I need to change my fork seals and I have a few questions.
I've read through most of the posts but seem to remember someone
saying you could pop the seals out the top then drive the replacements
down using a piece of pcv pipe without fork disassembly. Is this
correct ? Also I can't afford springs right now so I bought some
Bel-Ray 15wt hoping to increase dampening. Can the springs be
added later without taking the whole fork assembly apart ?
Last will a piece of pcv pipe work in lieu of a seal install tool ?
I'm sure some of these questions are answered in some link
just haven't found it.
Thanks for the patience,
Chris

you are going to have to take them apart to replace the seals. take out the lower allen bolts with a impact gun with the springs still in usally works then remove the springs. remove the dust caps exposing the wire clips remove them then use the lower leg like a slide hammer up and down a few times and there you have it. leave the forks in the trees until they are apart its easier that way. i could not find the right size pvc pipe to drive them but i did find i believe a 1 1/2" pvc coupling that almost worked i took a saw and cut it in half which made it the perfect diameter. just hold them together with one hand and use a piece of pvc pipe with the other hand and drive it down on the coupling. its a fairly easy job once you see how they work. the 15w oil will help and you can change the springs without taking them apart later.
Chris

vmax1125, I've never worked on forks before so maybe this is a stupid question. If you were to remove the bottom bolt would you not be deluged with fork oil? Not that its an issue if your ready for it because you could just drain the forks at that point but, I saw no mention of being ready with a pan for the oil.

Thanks Chris,
Will an electric impact suffice ? Man there
are a lot of Chris's on here. :punk:
Chris

sorry i did not mention that oil would come out when the bolts are removed i assumed that anyone looking to do this project has read up on it. you also have to release the air in the forks before removing the bolts. i was just giving the general bulk of it i can give you a detailed 2 pager if you want it but if you look they are already posted. i guess what they say about assume is right!
Chris

vmax1125, I've never worked on forks before so maybe this is a stupid question. If you were to remove the bottom bolt would you not be deluged with fork oil? Not that its an issue if your ready for it because you could just drain the forks at that point but, I saw no mention of being ready with a pan for the oil.

Mike,

The oil could be drained through the bottom bolt hole but it's just as easy to loosen the triple tree pinch bolts, slide the fork out, bleed off the air, remove the top plug and drain the oil out...the washer, spacer and spring will also slide out when you drain the oil.

Whichever way you decide to do it, heed these words of caution: Be sure to bleed off the air BEFORE lossening the bottom bolt!!!

There is an individual on this forum who has vast knowledge of the effects of fluid under pressure!! Uh, that would be me, and trust me it's messy and takes several washings to get that crap out of your shirt, pants, socks and yes....even skivvies!!! :bang head:

thats because Chris is i good solid vmax rider name !lol yes a electric impact should do the job with the springs in they hold pressure on the damper rods so they dont want to spin most of the time the bolts come out that way if not you will have to make a tool to hold the damper rod from spinning which i am sure you read about. the bolts can be installed by hand when putting back together i think they have locktite on them from the factory which is why they are difficult. dont forget about the oil that will come out the bolt holes have a pan ready.
Chris

sorry i did not mention that oil would come out when the bolts are removed i assumed that anyone looking to do this project has read up on it. you also have to release the air in the forks before removing the bolts. i was just giving the general bulk of it i can give you a detailed 2 pager if you want it but if you look they are already posted. i guess what they say about assume is right!
Chris

Well, Chris....you could assume that getting doused with fork oil once would be enough to teach even the dimmest of bulbs the proper procedure, but that would not be correct.

It seems some of us need a couple good fork oil soakings to have the lesson sink in!!

Well......one of us anyway!! :worthy:

If it does happen that you need a holding tool here is what the top of the damper rod looks like. I made an extra one to sent around to whoever might need one but it fits a '99, your '89 has 40mm fork tubes and prolly a different size damper rod.
But you're welcome to use it for a pattern if need be.

Attachments

• 100_0972.jpg
    100_0972.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 17
  • 100_0975.jpg
    100_0975.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 18
you aint havin fun unless you get a little oil on you ! i had a snow plow with a line issue removed the line off the vehicle as soon as i got it to the last thread it blew off like one of those canival water guns right in my eye DAMN IT that burned. it seems that all oil has a mission to get all over us and make a big ass mess! so be careful and keep the wet wipes handy.
Chris

you aint havin fun unless you get a little oil on you ! i had a snow plow with a line issue removed the line off the vehicle as soon as i got it to the last thread it blew off like one of those canival water guns right in my eye DAMN IT that burned. it seems that all oil has a mission to get all over us and make a big ass mess! so be careful and keep the wet wipes handy.
Chris

Oh, the fun I've had Chris!!!

When I was setting up this little back-hoe truck one of the hoses blew at the spool valves and that hot oil hit me right in the face, eyes, even in my friggin' nose!!! Shit, what a day!!

Almost as bad as the day I was working on a gasoline dispenser and some bozo turned the pump on giving me a solid blast of hi-test right in the nads!!! 98 degree day, 5 hour drive to get home, no A/C in the truck.....Ohhhh..that was a loooong drive!!! :bang head:

I can laugh about it now but it's kind of a high squeeky laugh!! :rofl_200:

Attachments

• The Boss  007.jpg
    The Boss 007.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 14
Oh, the fun I've had Chris!!!

When I was setting up this little back-hoe truck one of the hoses blew at the spool valves and that hot oil hit me right in the face, eyes, even in my friggin' nose!!! Shit, what a day!!

Almost as bad as the day I was working on a gasoline dispenser and some bozo turned the pump on giving me a solid blast of hi-test right in the nads!!! 98 degree day, 5 hour drive to get home, no A/C in the truck.....Ohhhh..that was a loooong drive!!! :bang head:

I can laugh about it now but it's kind of a high squeeky laugh!! :rofl_200:

did that bozo get a swift kick in the nads back?

did that bozo get a swift kick in the nads back?

Not really Garrett, my thoughts were totally focused on buttoning up the pump and getting on the road.....I did leave without saying good-bye though!! :biglaugh: (Like they gave a shit!!)

Besides, with hi-test soaked nads you really don't feel like doing a lot of kicking!! :bang head:

Not really Garrett, my thoughts were totally focused on buttoning up the pump and getting on the road.....I did leave without saying good-bye though!! :biglaugh: (Like they gave a shit!!)

Besides, with hi-test soaked nads you really don't feel like doing a lot of kicking!! :bang head:

haha fair enough.. could have left and sabotaged something of theirs tho! wasn't it you who was telling the story when you were young some kid always rode his bike buy so u dug a trench and he fell right in or something?

haha fair enough.. could have left and sabotaged something of theirs tho! wasn't it you who was telling the story when you were young some kid always rode his bike buy so u dug a trench and he fell right in or something?

:rofl_200::rofl_200: Ha!! You got a good memory!! I bet that kid never forgot it either!!:rofl_200::rofl_200:

LOL, some good ones flying here. I've never taken a hit of hit of oil to the face. However, I have gotten a slathering of PVC cleaner in my eyes. Talk about burn, holy hell did that burn. I was down in a ditch on one side of a utility backboard. Another guy was on the other side of the utility backboad standing on grade was using the cleaner. He put the can down low and shook the applicator to remove the excess and it went all over me and in my eyes. It took a few minutes for me to be able to see, everything was really blurry. I was honestly thinking the worst in those few minutes. They went by very slowly.

me being a mechanic in the past and a master plumber i have had the barney primer , acid flux and even hot solder in the eyes not to mention oil ,gas, diesel, paint, anti freeze, tranny fliud and many more. i have worn most and tasted quite a few they all burn and taste like s**t its a damn wonder i can even see. its funny to talk about later but not when not happens and the high test on the boys ouch!!!!
Chris

yea that reminds me of me syphoning gas from my mate's dad's car with a hose pipe when I was 17. The hose was too long and its diameter too large to be able to use my mouth's vacuum to pull the liquid all the way, so I had to go for a lung full.

I ended up swallowing a BIG gulp of leaded, and not only it tasted absolutely dreadful, but for the following two weeks or so, every time I burped I would get a face full of gas taste! :blink000::doh::th_tongue::th_tongue::th_tongue::barf:

Back