Jacket recommendations

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maxed

Reaction score
Greetings,

I am looking for a good riding jacket and would appreciate everyones help in making a selection.

What I am looking for is a very comfortable jacket that is water proof, has great ventilation with a collar that will protect my neck in cold weather. It could be either leather or nylon. I have a decent size budget for the purchase so I am not looking for anything inexpensive.

The Fieldsheer Highland has kind of caught my eye so far but I am still looking.

Thanks in advance for everyone's help,
-Allen

Hey Allen,

I like the the jacket I bought - GX Sport Jacket: http://www.tourmaster.com/xcart/product.php?productid=15&cat=0&page=

I'm completly satified with my purchase. The jacket has ventallation up the ying-yang. Has an insulated zip-out liner. Some armor. Reflective material. It's pretty much all I was looking for in a jacket.

TourMaster has a "Find the right product" search if you like their products: http://www.tourmaster.com/xcart/product_guide.php?brand=Tourmaster&action=select_item

I didn't see much in their line to satisfy your need for a protective collar. Most are low rise sport type. It was my thought that I would get one of those pull-over thinsulate 1/2 masks if it gets to cold. Any colder here and it's snowing & the bike is parked.

There are so many diffrent manufactures and styles. It's really a personal choice you need to make. I took a look at the Fieldsheer Highland and it also looks very nice. A very comfortable looking jacket. Here is the link to the Fieldsheer Highland so forum members don't have to search if they want to see it. http://www.motorcyclecloseouts.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=WP471-538

Good Luck...Jason

Greetings,

I am looking for a good riding jacket and would appreciate everyones help in making a selection.

What I am looking for is a very comfortable jacket that is water proof, has great ventilation with a collar that will protect my neck in cold weather. It could be either leather or nylon. I have a decent size budget for the purchase so I am not looking for anything inexpensive.

The Fieldsheer Highland has kind of caught my eye so far but I am still looking.

Thanks in advance for everyone's help,
-Allen

Hey Allen,

I like the the jacket I bought - GX Sport Jacket: http://www.tourmaster.com/xcart/product.php?productid=15&cat=0&page=

I'm completly satified with my purchase. The jacket has ventallation up the ying-yang. Has an insulated zip-out liner. Some armor. Reflective material. It's pretty much all I was looking for in a jacket.

TourMaster has a "Find the right product" search if you like their products: http://www.tourmaster.com/xcart/product_guide.php?brand=Tourmaster&action=select_item

I didn't see much in their line to satisfy your need for a protective collar. Most are low rise sport type. It was my thought that I would get one of those pull-over thinsulate 1/2 masks if it gets to cold. Any colder here and it's snowing & the bike is parked.

There are so many diffrent manufactures and styles. It's really a personal choice you need to make. I took a look at the Fieldsheer Highland and it also looks very nice. A very comfortable looking jacket. Here is the link to the Fieldsheer Highland so forum members don't have to search if they want to see it. http://www.motorcyclecloseouts.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=WP471-538

Good Luck...Jason

I have this in the Coretech and am VERY happy with it as well... I also have a Bates mesh jacket for the hot days... The Coretech is waterproof and has some of the best venting I've seen...:worthy:

Just make sure you buy something with armor!:thumbs up:

It seems like all jackets fit about 1 size larger for me as well... I wear an XL Columbia winter jacket but a 2XL motorcycle jacket...

Last edited:
I have been looking for the last couple of months for some gear too. I found newenough.com which has nice photos, sizing recomendations and subjective comments.
I purchased a Tourmaster Coaster II (3xl/50) but it was too small for me. (broad shoulders and well earned belly). I should have listened to the sizing comments as I could not zip up the jacket without really sucking it in. :oops:

Thanks for the recommendation everyone.

I like 4gasem's idea of using 2 jackets and i think that is what I am going to do. I will probably get the Fieldsheer jacket for cold days and I really like jgotko's jacket, will probably get it for the warmer days.

Thanks again,
-Allen

Max - Load some pic's of the RedBone in the "Garage". I would like to check it out as we have the same year....J

I'm having a problem uploading into the garage for some reason.. I am attacjhing a couple of pics (not the greatest) tha t I do have of it here. I will take more soon I promise.
I see you live in Highland, I used to live in Flushing from 1976 - 1986. Edit: Very nice bike, looks like it had had been stored inside. Mine is not so mint looking, but is in almost perfect mechanical condition. My previoius owner cold stored it in the winter and then left it outside during the summer it seems. My seat cover is toast and has been artfully repaired with black duct tape (just till I can get new seat this winter).

Attachments

• frtright3qtr.jpg
    frtright3qtr.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 11
  • rtrear3qtr.jpg
    rtrear3qtr.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 13
I also use the 2 jacket system. My Pheonix jacket( Joe Rocket) is starting to discolor so I may also be in the market for another summer jacket. As for winter riding I use one ski on each foot, and a North Face parka with really good gloves. The snowy mountain roads keep the Max and the poor, old, slow ZX11 in the garage for a few months of the coldest weather.
Lew :biglaugh:

After spending about 2 hours today (I'm worse than my wife) at the local bike shop looking at a large selection of jackets I decided to go with the Cortech FSX. With the zip out lining it should work for me in the summer and winter.

Thanks for all the help.

-Allen

You did the right thing by spending time in a store trying things on. I did a lot of online research, then visited a store with a good selection. I ended up getting things that I hadn't heard about, but that met my specifications and were comfortable. Oh yea, everything is one size larger than normal. I'm glad I bought 2 jackets. The 3-season jacket is ok up to about 80-degrees, I'm glad I also bought a mesh. I've since added a cooling vest for when it's over 100.

Back