Japanese Industry Standard screws

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

likembikem

Reaction score
I searched and found the topic had been discussed but it has been a while back and I thought I would add what I have found out. On the last page of the March 2013 Motorcycle Consumer News they tell about the Japanese Industry Standard (JIS) screws. Apparently what we call Phillips are really JIS.(on a Japanese M/C) The small dimple on the screw head is one way to show this. I now own JIS drivers. They fit better and don't 'cam out' like a Phillips. You can Google JIS drivers and find some to order. Craftsman doesn't carry them nor does Snap-on. They are the right tool for the job and I recommend!

You can also grind down the tips of std phillips. Just grind a little, test fit and continue till they fit well. Been doing that for years.

i might pick some up. what tip# are good?

I have been changing out alll of the jis screw bolts to allen bolts, saves me a lot of head ackes

I'm with Headknocker, Allen heads are preferred although on Rattlecan Special I had some carb intake Allen's I stripped and had to slot with a dremel tool to get them out. I too have JIS screwdrivers since I used to build R/C airplanes that used that as there standard. I don't have any in the big sizes though. I have several Craftsman with ground down points for a perfect fit. I have since amassed a collection of specific drivers for specific bike tasks (eg, carbs, differential, forks etc.) Hardest fastener I removed was rotor bolts on 85. Sheared two racheting Allen drive and rounded off a couple L wrenches using extensions. A gorilla of a co worker popped them all with his bare hand and another L wrench. Sounded like you hit the rotor with a ball pein hammer everytime one let loose. Never broke a single bolt!

I rounded out one of those rotor allen bolts also on the 86. From the heat and road grim I'm sure the seize up pretty well. I just used vice grips to get it out. I replaced those low profile allen bolts with regular allen heads. It looks alot better and they won't strip out again.

I am going to order the standard set from McMaster Carr, I don't think there is much need on the Vmax for the miniture set, is there?

Back