Jet plugs

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MadMadVmax

Reaction score
I had a few different mechanics look at my bike, (and posted several questions on here) but nobody could figure out exactly what was going on. I finally took it to M Tech in Bend, Oregon and Matt spent a long time looking into it. He built a Honda 1000 engine that earned a land speed record, so I figured he knew what he was doing. The second time I brought it there he told me that there were these plugs on the jets that were cracked and broken. It mades sense, because my bike ran great right when I fired it up, and ran super sweet for about 5 to 10 minutes, in which it would run like garbage. The broken plugs were causing it to run very rich.

So there we have it....mystery solved. In the end, my carbs got cleaned and rebuilt; the oil got changed, new plugs and a front fork rebuild. I'm very happy with the way it runs and drives now. Too bad I just listed it for sale :-(

Wow, never heard of anything like that. But hey if it worked, Congrats for sure...
DAVE

No reason to plug jets, then you'd just have plugs instead of jets. Probly the plugs on the sync spigots were cracked, causing vacuum leaks....all's good tho, glad you got it sorted out! :punk:

Yeah, honestly, I don't know exactly what they were. There were 8 of them at about $7.60 a piece....so I was glad to spend $60 ish bucks and know that it was going to work. That was after the $400 I had already spent. It's a beast, though. I love it, and I don't really want to sell it.

Yeah, honestly, I don't know exactly what they were. There were 8 of them at about $7.60 a piece....so I was glad to spend $60 ish bucks and know that it was going to work. That was after the $400 I had already spent. It's a beast, though. I love it, and I don't really want to sell it.

Curious mind wants a pic if he gave you the old ones back , please.

I had a few different mechanics look at my bike, (and posted several questions on here) but nobody could figure out exactly what was going on. I finally took it to M Tech in Bend, Oregon and Matt spent a long time looking into it. He built a Honda 1000 engine that earned a land speed record, so I figured he knew what he was doing. The second time I brought it there he told me that there were these plugs on the jets that were cracked and broken. It mades sense, because my bike ran great right when I fired it up, and ran super sweet for about 5 to 10 minutes, in which it would run like garbage. The broken plugs were causing it to run very rich.

So there we have it....mystery solved. In the end, my carbs got cleaned and rebuilt; the oil got changed, new plugs and a front fork rebuild. I'm very happy with the way it runs and drives now. Too bad I just listed it for sale :-(
I'd box them up to send to a VMAX carb guy. Dannymax comes to mind. I'm glad it's resolved for you though.
Steve-o

Plugs in the jet blocks?
Steve

That's what I got out of his post.

I read a good explanation somewhere about how they can dry out, shrink up, crack, and start letting fuel from the bowl leak into the jet block causing a rich condition because they are only supposed to get the fuel that comes in from the emulsion tube or sumpthin' like that.

I read a good explanation somewhere about how they can dry out, shrink up, crack, and start letting fuel from the bowl leak into the jet block causing a rich condition because they are only supposed to get the fuel that comes in from the emulsion tube or sumpthin' like that.

Not the sync spigot plugs then.....not if there's 8 of them!

Yup, that's exactly what happens Mike, the plugs dry up and flop around in the holes they are supposed to plug, creating all sorts of havoc.

I thought they were kinda pricey just for doofey little rubber plugs but guess they're priced for what they do instead of what it costs to make them....:confused2:

I don't like to take chances with them, if they are not tight in the holes they get replaced, it jumps the parts cost up $60 - $65 but....'if they're iffy....I yank 'em in a jiffy'! :rofl_200:

WTF :ummm:....I need some coffee!! :hihi:

Interesting. Is it rich at all rpms or specific ones? I have a rich ( I think) issue that's popped up under 3k rpms

Like Dan-o said, cracked or not fitting tight, replace um. Good explanation on the function though, Mike. Thanks
Steve

Back