Just bought....

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steelfish

Reaction score
....Avon 110/80 18 am26 front tire ,and 170/80 15 Venom rear. Just want to ask if this would be a good choice for my 97 Vmax. This was done per mechanic in a bike shop. His recommendation. He said they should work just fine on my bike, I was concerned because one is AM26 and other Venom.

I don't know, my cousin got it for me today. Are they any good, or is it because of price?

I have narrowed down my choices to either Metzeler or Shinko I've never tried Avon so I can't tell you. I just hear the both I am looking at at liked by those who have used them

I see, I heard these tires are good choice too. Guy from this shop is selling these cheap enough for me to buy. Avon has been around for a long time.

Theres a couple people on here that aren't fond of the Avon Venom. they say it's too hard and thus no traction.

Personally, I think its a oddball tire they have. Kinda like the brazillian tires that were too hard with some even cracking like it was dry rotting. Some of the brand was okay, others were shit. There was a Avon Venom recall a few years back, maybe a few of them are still on the road.

I've ran many a Avon tire without an issue. I ran Venoms on my chopper which turned out more hp and tq to the ground than the vmax. One time I dropped the hammer on it while putting down the road and ripped out damn near half the spokes out of it. My only complaint about the tires were I didn't get much milage out of them. Under 3k easliy for the rear.

A friend of mine had them on his warrior and ended up changing them out at the end of the summer cause they were worn.

To put your mind at ease there is alot of reviews on that particular tire. I would go around and have a looksey, being it's already on the bike. above all, run your bike and let your butt deside. If it feels wierd, be careful and consider a change.

Hi KJ, I will have them on my bike following monday. Had to order rear tire today, it's all paid for. Now I don't know what to think. I just need something that grips good, don't matter to me what brand.

Keep in mind its going to be a new tire, so its going to be a little different in the corners. But ride it around for a bit. feel what the rubber feels like.
Get on it from a standstill spin it a little. then do it again to check if there is an improvement in traction. I think you'll be fine.
I was going to go with one at the end of last year, but couldn't find one. Only tire that would fit the max was the metz. At the car show doing the static and rolling burnouts the rear tire was on-the-verge-of-poppin gone. I didn't want to wait so I went with what fit first. $290 later.

Thanx for a fast reply. I will try, hope I don't need a new tire soon. Don't want to buy something you can't exchange. My cousin has Venom on his Yamaha Warrior, it's a 200 in the rear. But it is a different bike completely. He likes it a lot, I tried his bike and it's awesome. Bike is lowered and has wide tire.

Keep in mind its going to be a new tire, so its going to be a little different in the corners. But ride it around for a bit. feel what the rubber feels like.
Get on it from a standstill spin it a little. then do it again to check if there is an improvement in traction. I think you'll be fine.
I was going to go with one at the end of last year, but couldn't find one. Only tire that would fit the max was the metz. At the car show doing the static and rolling burnouts the rear tire was on-the-verge-of-poppin gone. I didn't want to wait so I went with what fit first. $290 later.

KJ, how much heat were you puttin on the Metz? Did you pop the tire? Sounds like you had some respectable wheelspin for an extended period. How much wheelspin are we talking about? A 5 minuite brake tork or just some radical drifting burnouts?

KJ, how much heat were you puttin on the Metz? Did you pop the tire? Sounds like you had some respectable wheelspin for an extended period. How much wheelspin are we talking about? A 5 minuite brake tork or just some radical drifting burnouts?

To be honest, I have no clue. the static burnouts were timed by the judges.
I ended up shifting into third gear when they killed the clock. I went at the airhorn then stopped when they started waving the flag and when I couldn't see the flag they hit the airhorn, then the flag, then tapped me on the back.

The rollers were done in second. I didn't want too much wheel spin cause they wet the track to let the cars and trucks that were entered go.

The rollers were on a 150' asphault strip. I just started at one end then went to the other.

I didn't use the metz, I burned up the stock brigestone.

Here are some pictures a friend of mine took while bouncing around looking for the "perfect shot" lol.

Attachments

• SDC10395.jpg
    SDC10395.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 15
  • SDC10396.jpg
    SDC10396.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 16
  • SDC10397.jpg
    SDC10397.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 17
  • rollin.jpg
    rollin.jpg