Kerker 4 into 1 rattle

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 8898

Reaction score
So I'm thinking the annoying rattle that I hear (mostly as the engine decelerates) is coming from where the pipe sections slip together. It's a tight fit and there are no clamps. It doesn't appear that there were ever any clamps. So I'm wondering if anyone has ever had a rattle issue with a Kerker 4 into 1. If I could get to it well enough I could probably install a clamp that might keep it from rattling.

Anyone?

On mine there is an attached pinch clamp on the back side of the last section before the can....if yours has that is there a bolt in it?

One of mine did that too.........................................Then it went KLAG ,BANG ,TING ,.DING on its way done the road at over 100 mph. Then I made a nice stainless can and SCREWED IT ON with some nice stainless screws. I belive it should have a pinch clamp about 3/4 of an inch wide on it.

When I had a a Kerker, I had a rattle that developed in the can. The stainless baffle was rattling against the outer aluminum.

Try hitting the outlet end of the canister with the palm of your hand to see if you hear a rattle.

Mike

I have the can to pipe clamp, and I don't believe the rattle is coming from the can. The connection I'm suspecting is before that, where the pipes that comes out of the rear cylinders slip into the collector. Looks like it would be difficult to put clamps on those pipes, but it may be possible. Looks like about 1 1/8" pipe diameter... but then I suppose it's metric.

I don't know if the Kerker uses them or not but maybe weld a couple attachment loops to either side ot the offending connection and stretch a spring or two to pull them together. Mark's, Hindle and some others use that method. The springs are available at the local hdwr store.

It has been my impression that Kerker was junk and sounded like crap, never could see or hear the fascination.

O

I don't know if the Kerker uses them or not but maybe weld a couple attachment loops to either side ot the offending connection and stretch a spring or two to pull them together. Mark's, Hindle and some others use that method. The springs are available at the local hdwr store.

I'm not seeing how springs would do anywhere near enough squeezing on a solid pipe to make a difference. Maybe I'm missing something. :ummm:

It has been my impression that Kerker was junk and sounded like crap, never could see or hear the fascination.

O

Seems like they are made pretty well to me, though I suppose the design, where the pipes come into the collector in a tight fit without clamps, would seem to lend itself to rattles. I love the exhaust tone.

You've obviously not run a Kerker with a Comp baffle.

I don't know what kind of baffle mine has. I repacked it last year while searching for the source of the rattle. But the exhaust tone is music to my f'ing ears.

I think personally that Kerker w/ competition baffle is the best sounding system there is. Anyone saying they are junk obviously never heard or used one.

To me, my Kerker 4-1 sounds a little like a small block V8. Don't know how the tone could be any sweeter.

I'm not seeing how springs would do anywhere near enough squeezing on a solid pipe to make a difference. Maybe I'm missing something. :ummm:

Not squeezing, talking about pulling the pipe sections together....like the Mark's, Hindles & others do with great success.

I like that approach, but I don't really want to remove the exhaust and weld on spring loops. I think I'll see if I can find standard exhaust clamps that will fit. Just a little squeeze should take care of the minor rattle. Thanks!

For the rear header pipes - I took a pipe expander and widened the 2 header pipes so that they were a snug fit. should solve your problem easy enough.

Mike

Back