knocking?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

calibretto

Reaction score
Does anyone elses VMAX make a sort of knocking sound during idle? not very loud but definetly a light mechanical thud in the idle ?

hard to explain but I just noticed it, and I just picked this Vmax up today so Im hoping all is well :ummm:

Does anyone elses VMAX make a sort of knocking sound during idle? not very loud but definetly a light mechanical thud in the idle ?

hard to explain but I just noticed it, and I just picked this Vmax up today so Im hoping all is well :ummm:

Probably just the clutch basket rattling a bit...

You think that's bad try out a 90? V-twin like my SV1000S. Sounds like it's got a knock almost!

If it's worrying you at all - get a mechanics stephocope and probe around with it to isolate where the noise is coming from.

Mine did it since it was a year old. 20 more years, the sound's still there, and nothing broke. I will admit, it caused me a lot of worry over the first few years, till I realise it was just the nature of the beast.

You REALLY want to hear a knock? Check out a RoadStar! My '02 sounded like there was a bowling ball bouncing around in there. But nobody (according to the Road Star Riders forum) ever had one blow up from what is lovingly called "The F****ing Knock"

Mu opinion is that the aftermarket exhaust makers bribed a Yamaha engineer to create the F****ing Knock so we'd all buy aftermarket pipes to drown out the sound.... I know I did!:bang head:

Does it go away when you pull in the clutch?

Nope it doesnt go away when I pull the clutch. Its not really loud, you cant hear it if your standing away from the bike but it definetly is there if your sitting on it.

It may just be normal as the person above this post said. Sounds like a lifter or something but the previous owner said its always done that and never given them a problem.

Nope it doesnt go away when I pull the clutch. Its not really loud, you cant hear it if your standing away from the bike but it definetly is there if your sitting on it.

It may just be normal as the person above this post said. Sounds like a lifter or something but the previous owner said its always done that and never given them a problem.

Better adjust the valves.

If they are ok I would pull the motor and check the rods.

.. God I hope not, I am not technically saavy enough to do that nor rich enough XD

Anyone around the Atlanta area want to come by and hear it? :ummm:

Also only has 7800 miles on it..

before you get too far into the engine you might want to check the starter clutch bolts. We've found a number of engines with that issue.

Sean

My '02 since new has had this same (metal ticking) sound in idle. I thought it was an unadjusted valve, but everything's adjusted fine when I had it checked by a mechanic.

I now have 11K on the clock with no issues except the noise in idle. I'm not going to worry about it cause I haven't babied it all the time and it's holding together great.

My brother's a mechanic and he says just keep it maintained and don't mess with it as long as it doesn't get progressively louder or running poorly due to it.

John

Last edited:
my 96 makes a knocking noise at idle and it hasnt gotten any better or worse sence ive owned it. it is probibly just the way these motors are because it seems more than a few people's Vmax makes this noise.

my 96 makes a knocking noise at idle and it hasnt gotten any better or worse sence ive owned it. it is probibly just the way these motors are because it seems more than a few people's Vmax makes this noise.

Your knocking could be from your clutch basket. Does it go away when you pull in the clutch?

Mine made the same noise and was the clutch basket. Nothing to worry about as it seems to be quite normal.

Cheers,
Jim Rodgers
VMOA# 4046
Western Ontario Chapter Leader:rocket bike:

Your knocking could be from your clutch basket. Does it go away when you pull in the clutch?
No, nothing changes when i pull in the clutch. it knocks at idle and if its being luged at slow speeds like in a parking lot. as soon as the engine is brought above around 11-1200 rpm, with or with out the clutch, the sound goes away. it must be normal.

No, nothing changes when i pull in the clutch. it knocks at idle and if its being luged at slow speeds like in a parking lot. as soon as the engine is brought above around 11-1200 rpm, with or with out the clutch, the sound goes away. it must be normal.

Mine does exactly the same and I have been a bit worried about it, but 2000 miles on, from when I bought it (its now done 19997) it has got no worse. It sounds like a dull knocking on the front upper right side of the engine as you sit on it, and as you say as the revs are increased it goes.

I would inspect the water pump. The impeller could be knocking against the housing.

Mark

I dont think its a lifter, The VMAX engine is a non push rod engine. Does the knock get louder as the engine warms up? Does the knock sound increase with the engine speed?
I have 4 motors in my shed that knocked, due to bad crankshaft rod journals being wiped out.

First off, these engines are noisy by nature, clutch basket, valves, etc...

If you are worried about it, I would suggest using a mechanics stephocope to isolate where exactly the noise is coming from. Than you can decide whether it's serious or not.

:cheers: Mike

I dont think its a lifter, The VMAX engine is a non push rod engine. Does the knock get louder as the engine warms up? Does the knock sound increase with the engine speed?
I have 4 motors in my shed that knocked, due to bad crankshaft rod journals being wiped out.
did you say 4 motors

Back