Known Issues with '99 Maxs ????

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carbonmax

Reaction score
Suppossed to pick up a '99 MAX tommorrow:clapping::clapping:

Are there any know issues with this model year I should look/listen for when I pick it up and as I start putting miles on it?

Nope, should be good. Stronger cases, newer shift segment.

Check your tires - if worn take it easy.

Remember the V-boost @ 6000 rpm, it's a lot of power so don't do it leaning over and until you got the hang of it.

The main issue on V-Maxes I think, is that their weight kills the steering head bearings prematurely, and when these are loose or worn the bike with develop a death wobble at high speeds (110mph+) which can turn into a tank slapper. This also affects high speed turns, so if you're used to nice steady fast bikes make sure to take it easy and test going fast gradually - don't just go WOT on the highway like I did and shit yourself almost dying when it starts wobbling uncontrollably!

Other than that they're pretty bulletproof if maintained right - look out for dead mice in the airbox and other such signs of neglect - there are a lot of mint looking very low miles Maxes that have sat more than being ridden and those are not as good as higher mileage ones that have been ridden and maintained regularly.

Then make sure you have a deep wallet once you start drooling over all the mods and kewl accessories most people here have added to their rides :punk:

Suppossed to pick up a '99 MAX tommorrow:clapping::clapping:

Are there any know issues with this model year I should look/listen for when I pick it up and as I start putting miles on it?

Yup, the '99 Yamaha V Max is considered, by many, to be the finest motorcycle ever manufactured, by anybody!!

All right, maybe it's because I own one! :confused2:

Seriously, no hidden issues with the 99's, good solid v max as far as years go.

Well, there you have it Carbonmax. V max owners from New York to Michigan all say the same thing about the '99 Yamaha V Max!!

Nice bike VMAXFAST!! A lot of work there, great job! :thumbs up::thumbs up::thumbs up:

I ran a 10.98 with my mostly stock 99. It was a very good running bike indeed.

Sean

Thanx All for the positive information. I am going to skate out of work after this reply and go pick it up

Well, I don't know......

My 99 has given me quite a few issues that I have had to deal with...

Like the urge to burn out at red lights when lesser beasts pull alongside....

Something my wife lovingly refers to as Vmax Snobbery - as in how I look down my nose at Vrods and BKings.....

Blurred vision from sudden acceleration......

And a psychosis that makes me feel 100% sexier than I really am while thundering down the highway....

Other than those issues, my 99 rocks!

:punk:

i think a lot of those issues carried into '03 as well.... i've definitely had to work thru most of what u've described...

I own a premature 99,,, 98 model..
One word of advice.. Dont over rev these engines past 10.5K as long as you shift them 10 and under it will be a great bike...

Latest posts

Back