Leaking fork oil?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeS

Reaction score
Hi All.

I have an 04 Vmax that I bought maybe a month ago with 6k miles on it. After reading thru several threads in the suspension topic I was going to lower the front forks by raising them an inch or so when I decided to see what difference it would make if I let out all the air (I'm not sure how much was in there, I don't have a gauge that can measure small enough amounts) of the forks, and when I did the front dropped about 2". and when the air was out, oil started coming out of the air valves! On one side it was red like fresh trans oil looks, and on the other it was a dark brown, like old burnt trans oil would look like.

This can't be good! Does this mean I need new seals, or does it mean the front end needs to be rebuilt? When I bought the bike the dealer sold me a 2 year warrantee (not from Yamaha, from a company called Interstate), would this be something that should be covered by the warrantee?

In another thread here somebody measured the stock forks at something like 8" from the bottom of the triple tree to the lower seals, and mine was right around 8" before I let the air out, and is now around 6", does this indicate that the PO had put lowering springs in it?

I guess I should mention that I also just installed a pair of Progressive 412 11.5" rear shocks to lower the bike (I'm short) to make it easier to handle. Any help/info would be appreciated!

-MikeS

Hi All.

I have an 04 Vmax that I bought maybe a month ago with 6k miles on it. After reading thru several threads in the suspension topic I was going to lower the front forks by raising them an inch or so when I decided to see what difference it would make if I let out all the air (I'm not sure how much was in there, I don't have a gauge that can measure small enough amounts) of the forks, and when I did the front dropped about 2". and when the air was out, oil started coming out of the air valves! On one side it was red like fresh trans oil looks, and on the other it was a dark brown, like old burnt trans oil would look like.

This can't be good! Does this mean I need new seals, or does it mean the front end needs to be rebuilt? When I bought the bike the dealer sold me a 2 year warrantee (not from Yamaha, from a company called Interstate), would this be something that should be covered by the warrantee?

In another thread here somebody measured the stock forks at something like 8" from the bottom of the triple tree to the lower seals, and mine was right around 8" before I let the air out, and is now around 6", does this indicate that the PO had put lowering springs in it?

I guess I should mention that I also just installed a pair of Progressive 412 11.5" rear shocks to lower the bike (I'm short) to make it easier to handle. Any help/info would be appreciated!

-MikeS

Mike, I'm puzzled.

You say you have an 04 Vmax with air forks?

Can you provide pictures of what you are talking about?

Mike, I'm puzzled.

You say you have an 04 Vmax with air forks?

Can you provide pictures of what you are talking about?

I can't take pix right now, but will later. I thought all Vmax's had air adjustable forks? It was my understanding that earlier ones had a single filler valve, and later ones (like mine) had 2, one for each fork. On the top of each fork there is an air valve under a chromed plastic cover.

-MikeS

So it's coming out of the Schrader valve up top? I think there's an o-ring on the top cap you might have to replace that. Could be too much oil in there too. It definitely sounds like you need to change the oil. It should be done every two years.

I can't take pix right now, but will later. I thought all Vmax's had air adjustable forks? It was my understanding that earlier ones had a single filler valve, and later ones (like mine) had 2, one for each fork. On the top of each fork there is an air valve under a chromed plastic cover.

-MikeS

Ok, I'm with you now. Like Mark said;

1) Check to see whether its coming from the air-valve or
2) the o-ring seals on the fork caps.

The front end lowering about 2" with no air is to be expected. It doesn't take much air pressure to fully extend the forks.

I'm assuming the valves are OK because they held air pressure. That means the seals could be suspect but did the oil come out as you released the air or at some point after?

The radical difference in the colour of your fork oil suggests someone has changed it (the nice red stuff being the newer) but they may have been filled to the wrong levels so that when the forks are lowered with no air the surplus will flow out the open valve.

Either way you need to check and change the oil and make sure the new fluid is set at the correct levels.

I checked my front air pressure ('92) and it had no reading. Put in a few pumps from a hand pump and rechecked.....13lbs with only a few pumps. Released some of the pressure and oil did spray out of the valve when releasing the air. Left it at 6lbs.

After a ride noticed one fork has oil all over it. Looks as if the seal must be suspect?????

I do have a few small pits on that fork, wondering if i should bother with changing the seals if the small pits will just ruin them straight away.....or just leave the air out?

I put a zip tie around the fork before the air and after a short ride the zip tie traveled up the fork about 4 inches.....with the air only 2 or so....but oil everywhere.

I just removed, disassembled, cleaned and reassembled my forks last night on my SV. This is the second time I have had them apart (first time was to respring them) this time I removed the cartridges and replaced the fork seals. Take a look at the oil I took out of it. This oil new is damn near water clear and this oil has 6000 miles on it...

I would buy some 15wt oil and even some progressive or Race-Tech springs as well as some OEM seals and rebuild them. It takes a couple hours to do it.

Chris

I checked my front air pressure ('92) and it had no reading. Put in a few pumps from a hand pump and rechecked.....13lbs with only a few pumps. Released some of the pressure and oil did spray out of the valve when releasing the air. Left it at 6lbs.

After a ride noticed one fork has oil all over it. Looks as if the seal must be suspect?????

I do have a few small pits on that fork, wondering if i should bother with changing the seals if the small pits will just ruin them straight away.....or just leave the air out?

I put a zip tie around the fork before the air and after a short ride the zip tie traveled up the fork about 4 inches.....with the air only 2 or so....but oil everywhere.

You can replace the seals. I have taken 2000 grit wet sand paper to them before but with the grain of the chrome that's on there now. It'll smooth out the bumps a bit.

You need to re-spring it with some 15wt oil.

Attachments

• SV Fork oil 6000 miles.jpg
    SV Fork oil 6000 miles.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 18
  • SV fork oil 6000 mile.jpg
    SV fork oil 6000 mile.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 16
  • SV after fork rebuild 2008.jpg
    SV after fork rebuild 2008.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 27

Latest posts

Back