Leaking front fork seal?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CB2DMax

Reaction score
I've been noticing a very light oil residue on my right front fork every time I take my 2001 V-Max (26,000 miles) out for a ride. Is this an early warning that I've got a front fork seal getting ready to go? I've never replaced the front fork seals or the fork oil in this bike. What's a fair price to have these seals replaced?

Thanks guys.

I've been noticing a very light oil residue on my right front fork every time I take my 2001 V-Max (26,000 miles) out for a ride. Is this an early warning that I've got a front fork seal getting ready to go? I've never replaced the front fork seals or the fork oil in this bike. What's a fair price to have these seals replaced?

Thanks guys.

just had mine done, i think i paid $125./ There is a thread on here how to do it, but i was in a hurry so as much as it pained me i had the stealership do it.

Definitely not a very hard job to do, but if you have to have it done you can reduce the stealers' price greatly by removing the fork tubes yourself and taking them (instead of the whole bike) in for service.
That's really easy to do - simply unbolt the brake calipers and tie them aside, remove the front wheel and fork brace/fender, then loosen the triple tree pinch bolts and slide the fork tubes out :)

Definitely not a very hard job to do, but if you have to have it done you can reduce the stealers' price greatly by removing the fork tubes yourself and taking them (instead of the whole bike) in for service.
That's really easy to do - simply unbolt the brake calipers and tie them aside, * remove the front wheel and fork brace/fender, then loosen the triple tree pinch bolts and slide the fork tubes out :)

* Support the front end off the floor

Just somethin' I felt should be in here!! (Sorry G :biglaugh:)

you know it's funny, I actually thought about that while writing, but assumed it was pretty obvious.. Judging by that front brake lawsuit in that other thread, you're right that it should be mentioned, as 'assumption is the mother of all fuck-ups!'

So here goes:

- BEFORE removing the front wheel,
- either place a jack under the motor and raise until the front wheel is off the ground
- or even better, if you have engine guards fitted, place axle stands under them and rest the bike on them, making sure the front wheel is off the ground.

WARNING: do not over raise the bike on the jack or it will fall over, and make sure it is on its center stand before you start.

Safe enough? lol..

you know it's funny, I actually thought about that while writing, but assumed it was pretty obvious.. Judging by that front brake lawsuit in that other thread, you're right that it should be mentioned, as 'assumption is the mother of all fuck-ups!'

So here goes:

- BEFORE removing the front wheel,
- either place a jack under the motor and raise until the front wheel is off the ground
- or even better, if you have engine guards fitted, place axle stands under them and rest the bike on them, making sure the front wheel is off the ground.

WARNING: do not over raise the bike on the jack or it will fall over, and make sure it is on its center stand before you start.

Safe enough? lol..

:thumbs up: Lol!! You just never know G!! :biglaugh:

Back