Lean Stumble at idle when warmed up

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RagingMain

Reaction score
Hey Guys
I was wondering if the big cams I put in would cause me to get lean stumble at idle when the bike is warmed up? :confused2:

Here is what is going on.
I have the A/F meter hooked up that verifies what is going on.
When the bike is cold at idle I am seeing 12.8-13:1. I could probably turn my screws in a bit and lean that out. Reason it is where it is at is I was trying to get rid of the lean stumble at idle. Doesnt matter where the screws are at the I still have a lean stumble from 1-3 turns out. I have taken them out .5 turn at a time.
Now on to the problem, when it is at NOT the bike stumbles but only at idle. You can see this on the meter as it jumps up to 17-18:1 and then pulling away from the stop light it runs like shit until it "clears up"

I know the first thing you are going to say is "Clean your pilot jets" :biglaugh:
Already done. My carbs are clean enough that Mark would lick them :eusa_dance:
Plus the A/F changes when I turn the screws back and forth.

Also dont think it is electrical because if the spark was intermittent than I would be going rich with all the fuel being dumped in and not ignited.

It is just like it takes a big gulp of air and no fuel comes along for the ride.

So I was thinking that maybe the bigger cams with more overlap would cause this to happen???:confused2::ummm::confused2::ummm:
Please help:bang head::bang head::bang head:

What happens if the screws are turned to 4 turns out? Did you clean those 3 small bypass holes below the throttle plate?

What happens if the screws are turned to 4 turns out? Did you clean those 3 small bypass holes below the throttle plate?

I cleaned quite a bit, but I will again. If the screws go out to 4 turns I get black sooty plugs as it gets way rich.

Boots are less than a year old and I tried the starting fluid trick to see if it increased RPMs but come to think of it I only did that cold. Will try it next time the bike is at NOT.

Think I might have found one problem that would cause this
Took the carbs off the bike and split the rack.
Found one of the Jet Blocks screws a bit loose, the top one. The jet block wasnt sealed all the way against the gasket. I am sure this cant be good. Probably letting some air in around the top above the fuel line.
Well know more tomorrow when I get it back together.
Cheers

More updates
Not the jet block :bang head:
Called Mark (birdoprey) and Mark (maleko89) and between the two of them I think I am headed in the right direction.
BoP told me to look at vacuum because of the new cams.
Well cylinder #2, the one I cant adjust, is way low on manifold vacuum.
I looked at the butterfly valve and compared it to the other 3 and it is open futher. It is also blocking the pilot hole that is supposed to be above the butterfly.
Between these two things I think that cylinder isnt getting the proper air flow
I need to see if there is a way to "reseat" this butterfly and go from there, will keep you all posted.

Back