Let's talk tool kits

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

norcalAF

Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I'm wanting to put together a basic tool kit for the bike, I will be mounting it in a tool roll on the front forks most likely, so space under the rear seat is not a concern.

What do you guys/gals put in your tool kit and why?

I still have the factory original kit in mine. but I would recommend metric open end wrenches, allen wrenches and screw drivers, pliers and a good knife.

I have 2 sets of chain spanners, 2 screwdrivers, a few allen keys, pliers and a few cable ties, all wrapped in a piece of rag and then in a plastic bag, this all fits in the little compartment under the back seat (gen 1)

I have the original tool set under the seat as well. I was shopping for a fork bag after I broke down once and had to trailer it home. My rectifier went and blew my main fuse. I’m still considering a fork bag after a long period with no issues. I’d carry the tool kit that came with it and in the fork bag I’d have zip ties, tape, jumper wires not jumper cables. I’d throw some spare fuses in there. I usually only go for about a 100 mile ride but if I was planning on a trip I’d throw a tire plug kit in there. One thing I was carrying on the back of the bike was a small jump box when I was having some issues. I guess it doesn’t matter if your a mile away or 100 miles when you break down , your screwed. Practice preventive maintenance cannot be stressed enough, good luck and safe riding!

The original tool kit is pretty handy for the most part (I have a few available if needed). The double open wrenches are handy if you need to save space but I always use a box when working at the shop. The stock kit with a set of medium size vice grips should do most everything you might need to do on the side of the road. Perhaps a better set of JIS screwdrivers (#2 and #3).

This came with a harley carcass mounted in a fork bag. its fairly complete metric and standard. I think F99F58DA-364F-400F-9C0F-F4FB983EE450.jpeg76A18655-3009-4FC9-ADA2-1B37C244D13D.jpegthey have bigger more comprehensive kits.

Aside from the oem set, duct tape and zip ties i also carry a c02 plug kit. To me, a flat tire is gonna be the most common roadside repair

You know what it is like, you think you have all the tools you need but sod's law being what it is, the time you breakdown, the tool you need it the one you have not got R574a3889fc8b71c082f736c2811f60a1.gif

Coming from a different perspective, those you have been unfortunate to have the bike breakdown, what happened and what tools did you need to get going again?
I would have thought blown fuses or electrical gremlins would be the most common so allen keys to remove scoops/side panels, spanner to remove seat, pliers and jis/flat blade screwdriver would sort out the majority of the problems, it is not as if you will be able to replace a cam chain or a clutch at the side of the road.

When I broke down it was my rectifier so I was screwed. Luckily a very reputable person on here was able to walk me through figuring out what it was and sold me a quality replacement. I’ve since replaced the battery and added a volt meter which gives me a sense of security. I think my bike is pretty reliable for its age, I’d take it just about anywhere within about 100 miles. Although the performance and sound are why I choose to ride it at my age the comfort level after so many miles is rough. 6CB750D3-944F-49D7-BAC7-130A6A0B7946.jpeg

I don't know if you are familiar with the works of Allen Millyard but he fitted a 3 digit LED voltmeter (very cheap) to a Z1 console. The spare slot on the Vmax instrument console is crying out for this.

Screenshot_20210214-171927.jpgScreenshot_20210214-172610.png

... there are also USB charger plugs that fit in car cigarette lighter socket that have voltmeter, again very cheap (sub $5). I estimate the led digits are smaller so are more likely to fit in the slot in the instrument panel.

Screenshot_20210214-200832.jpg

Back