Look what I found

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Max1139

Reaction score
:ummm:OK, not sure if a great deal, but I just bought this today
maxim.jpg

1982 Maxim 650 with 17,900 miles (I think the ODO is broken tho, to cold to put too many miles on it:biglaugh:)

has a few cosmetic issues but for $800 and it runs good. Got it from a kid who had put on the slash cut pipes (no baffles, sounds like a moped on steriods with no muffler) and put in one of those hyper-bright bulbs (that thing is bright:punk:) He also put a new battery and new front tire. rear is in good shape.
Got it for the girlfriend just to try and see if she likes. If not, surely I can get my money back in the spring.
That is if I don't spend much on it during the winter.:clapping:
I will say that a twist of this throttle is waaaaaaaayyyyy different than ol maxy. Damn
Any comments?

That's almost exactly what I learned to drive on. My moms was a 79. I've got one bike out back with clean title that I haven't decided if I wanted to put together to sell or what. They are great bikes unless you let a 15 year old kid thrash it. Second gear was the only thing to ever fail on me. I'm talking riding multi block long wheelies, and seeing how far I could jump that sucker.

moved on to dads bike (an 1983 750 maxim) and proceeded to thrash that sucker for another year or two. It was smoking to beat hell when it left but still ran! Ended up with my first bike (a 1983 Seca Turbo) which I still have to this day.

Sean

Nice. Four Cylinder, or twin? I love that HUGE rear rack. She ought be able to carry a suitcase on it!

In line 4 cyl. Air cooled. We had a similar rack but ours was adjustable. The pad could be adjusted all the way forward and used as a driver backrest or in the rear position for a pass one. It could even be slipped all the way off and leave just the rack on it.

Nice. Four Cylinder, or twin? I love that HUGE rear rack. She ought be able to carry a suitcase on it!

actually, the kid I got it from said that a 30 pack fits great on it. hmmmm.....:confused2:
And I was married long enough to know that you really weren't saying that rack makes her butt look big, but I'm not gonna tell her that she has a huge rear rack!!!:rofl_200:

she's coming over today so I'm gonna see what seat mods have to be done. She's kinda short, anyone have a smaller seat for this bike?

and yes, air cooled inline 4.

she's coming over today so I'm gonna see what seat mods have to be done. She's kinda short, anyone have a smaller seat for this bike?

Since you need to recover it, you could just send it to Sean or Maxgasser, I'm sure they could lower and recover at the same time, for a decent price.

That was a sweet bike in it's day. I can't remember if it had YICS. The predecessor to VBoost.

I had an 1100 Maxim with YICS. It was a monster above 6,000 RPM. I had a guy ran me down and stop me to ask:" Does that bike have retractable wings, I think it could fly. I passed you doing 60 and from a stop you passed me in what seemed to be a Micro Second. All I saw was a blur as you disappeared".

They did have the YICS and I even have the tool to block off the ports so the carbs can be synced.

i'm sure we can recover it and I might even have the core seat from the bike I have here (also an 82 if I remember right). I'd consider parting it out or selling it as is (engine removed and dismantled). I think the stock exhaust was in decent (not perfect) shape.

Sean

pm sent sean

and what is YICS?

it's on the head and the side of the engine

It is a system that allows the cylinders to share a small amount of flow between the carbs to help balance them and allow for additional flow based on demand. The carbs are impossible to sync without the tool (though the tool is fairly simple thing).

Send me a direct email if you want so I can remember to print it off and go look for what I have.

Sean

What Sean said. Yamaha Induction Control System. It took some of the XJ-1100's to low 11's high 10's (10.92 best I heard of). I never got to ride a 650 but it was probably interesting...

I have owned two of these bikes. One 1982 I bought for my ex-wife new in 1982. One 1981 creampuff I bought used several years ago and fixed up with custom yellow paint and 4 into 1 headers. It now belongs to one of my friends. These are excellent bikes. Very comfortable and great around town. Very smooth except for a vibration/buzz between 4800-5200 rpm. Easy to get around that though. I would recommend them to anyone. In 1981 it was the fastest bike from 750cc down. Also Yamaha's most popular "big" bike in 1981.

Back