Magnetic bike

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sanders

Reaction score
Recently I added COP's and a MOSFET r/r to my bike. The problem didn't start until the MOSFET was wired in. The bike runs fine and charges fine, but after about a quarter of a mile I start feeling sparks arcing across to my leg, nothing major feels like static. Also screwdrivers can stick to any metal piece on the bike after a short ride. While it might come in handy to carry tools like that...there must be something amiss.

I have triple checked every inch on wiring and have come up with nothing. I'm thinking if a hot wire was pinched it possibly wouldn't start and various parts might start smoking. It also doesn't appear that the positive side of the battery is arcing across to the frame. If it was I believe I would see some shenanigans like flickering lights, sputters, etc.

My final theory is that I have possibly created an electromagnet with my stator wires. I located the Mosfet R/r in the left scoop since it wouldn't fit in the original location. The stock stator wires wouldn't reach so I used three pieces about 26 inches long each, to bridge the gap. The wires were placed in rubber conduit and zip tied in various places to the frame. The wires aren't coiled around anything but there is a loop in the wire under the radiator reservoir. Magnetic forces would be stronger toward the middle of that loop.

But that doesn't explain the static shocks. Might see if I can find some shielding or possibly redo my wiring. I'm open to suggestions. Thanks

Recently I start feeling sparks arcing across to my leg, nothing major feels like static. Also screwdrivers can stick to any metal piece on the bike

...is that I have possibly created an electromagnet with my stator wires.

Assume that when you say 'screwdrivers can stick to any metal piece on the bike' is that only the ferrous parts of does it include the scoops?
I guess you could check you electromagnet theory with a compass - if the needle deflects then you are correct.

I would have thought that the extended wires would, at the very least, have to be coiled around the frame to stand any chance for a magnetic field being created. However, as this would be an alternating current as it comes from the alternator I can't see this being the case.

A couple of suggestions:
1) If not already done so earth the body of the R/R to the frame.
2) Stop wearing the one piece nylon undergarment or fidget less when riding.
3) Check the date on your watch - April 1 isn't until next month! :rofl_200:

I think you need to bleed that magnetism to ground. I suggest dragging a metal plate (doesn't need to be too large, maybe 12" x 12" x 0.5") behind the bike connected with a 3/8" metal wire to the frame. Make sure to grind off any powder coating to get a good connection.

I have grounded the r/r to the frame and there isn't a change. The COP's might be possible, I don't feel a shock when idling, the RPM's are usually around 5000 before I start feeling anything. I will check them tonight.

Seriously I had all kinds of problems before I properly grounded the engine to the frame. I used a separate heavy gauge wire.

Check the simple things first.

LOOK UP! Make sure you don't have this guy lingering above you trying to beam you up.
Marvin martian.jpg
After all, it was only a matter of time before they wanted Vmaxes too.

Seriously, I'd return the bike to OEM spark plugs to eliminate the COPS as a possible cause. If that don't work, get the upgraded OEM style finned R/R from Sean Morley and get rid of all that extra wiring leading to the Mosfet unit behind the scoop. Sounds like it should be one or the other.

Check the simple things first.

LOOK UP! Make sure you don't have this guy lingering above you trying to beam you up.
View attachment 42149

Seriously, I'd return the bike to OEM spark plugs to eliminate the COPS as a possible cause. If that don't work, get the upgraded OEM style finned R/R from Sean Morley and get rid of all that extra wiring leading to the Mosfet unit behind the scoop. Sounds like it should be one or the other.

This would be the first of my knowledge to do something like this from a COPs install. There are right at 200 bikes out there with this conversion kit. Not saying it wouldn't or couldn't happen, however it would definitely be a fluke.

G

MaxMidnight; Check the date on your watch - April 1 isn't until next month! :rofl_200: [QUOTE=AMechEng;I think you need to bleed that magnetism to ground. I suggest dragging a metal plate (doesn't need to be too large said:
42149[/ATTACH]
MaxMidnight; Check the date on your watch - April 1 isn't until next month! :rofl_200: [QUOTE=AMechEng;I think you need to bleed that magnetism to ground. I suggest dragging a metal plate (doesn't need to be too large said:
I get the feeling that your problem is not being taken seriously, Mr. Sanders. Shameful!
Here's what you do...
Fly me out to Hawaii, put me up in a beachfront condo, and together we will work on this issue, and any other problems you have with your bike.
This may take weeks, even months, but I'll stick it out to the very end.
Just the type of guy I am.
Aloha!:punk:

Not sure if this would even cause your symptoms but, is it possible that you mistakenly connected one of the stator phase wires to ground while installing the new regulator?

I'm going to check the stator wires and make sure I didn't ground it. I'm trying to keep things simple but the mind starts to wander when things become frustrating. Also I appreciate the help "offers". Weeks and months wouldn't be necessary, you get your fill of Oahu in about a week. It might be time for me to move back to Tennessee.

I'm going to check the stator wires and make sure I didn't ground it. I'm trying to keep things simple but the mind starts to wander when things become frustrating. Also I appreciate the help "offers". Weeks and months wouldn't be necessary, you get your fill of Oahu in about a week. It might be time for me to move back to Tennessee.

Getting The Rock Fever are you? I was on Maui for about a week once. That was enough for me. Very beautiful but before too long thattrapped feeling comes into view.

G

Update to this, the magnet field is no longer present. The small static shocks are still present.

I removed the entire wiring harness and went through every inch of wire. All of it looked good. Borrowed the Coil on Plugs of my neighbors gsxr and ran them, no change. Put a 6 gauge grounding strap from the frame to battery and from the MOSFET to the frame, no change. If anything the shocks are a little worse. It was doing it without a grounding also. So the grounding of the case doesn't appear to matter. Voltage at the battery is a pretty steady 14.5vdc. New plugs also, got the Brisk Br12zc. Decent plugs, runs good but not worth the money.

At idle I don't feel anything but at highway speeds it is a pretty consistent shock, feels like a grill igniter used in a potato gun. The r/r is located in the left scoop and the sparks arc across to my left leg. I don't think this is a coincidence. The lights and all of the electronics work good.

It says Yamaha on the side, but it feels like I'm working on Triumph or a royal Enfield. Thanks

You have HID lighting? That's high enough AC voltage to induce a charge into other things if not well shielded. Just curious?

No I got the stock headlight. This one has me stumped. I'm leaving on a deployment soon, that will give me six months to think about it. Might not hurt to let this one marinate for a while.

You have COPS. Are the OEM coils disconnected and/or removed?

Perhaps a problem with the stator or it's installation?

....just thinking out loud.

Wish I had a magnetic max, I could do full time vboost with no hands!
ygy4y7u5.jpg

Sent by the Verizon 4G Data Network

Back