May have found a cheap coil/wire replacement option

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:bang head:

The manual will have it. Primary resistance will be at the two pins of COP. Seconary resistance is probably plug boot connector to ground.
I figured that....gonna be a pain to find the manual though. Hav'nt unpacked manuals/books since i moved. No telling where its at...

You mean Secondary resistance would be from plug boot connector to ground PIN?

I'll see if i can check that out in a bit. I'll also dig out the manual and get what they are supposed to be.

Having to bash yer head at my ignorance? Soo sorry, just got up...

I've used non resistor plugs and there are no issues with any electrics on the bike. There might be a little RF interference on cager radios though.

Maybe if they were connected to the stk harness though. Guess i should not try to think too much this morning...

Heh! Yeah no kidding!
Actually, i'm checking out my new TURBO KIT for my V-max! Like a kid in a candy store...

Nice! That beats me...I'm shopping for a R1 brake master.

the primary resistance is measured across the two pins at the connector and the secondary is measured from one of the pins to the end of the coil output tower.typically below the boot but some coils arent removable so at the end that fastens on to the spark plug would be fine.and i usually check to see if the resistance differs between either of the two pins and the boot terminal.thanks tons.when im done setting up the ignition on this early model im gonna fab up a plenum and runners/fuel rail.and inject it.then after i have that sorted and some tests run im gonna add two small turbos.ought to be cool.ill keep you guys informed along the way -when i get a little further through it ill post pics and a parts list/set up info.later mike

COP Primary resistance= 1.4 Ohms

COP Secondary resistance= 13.22 KiloOhms(same measured on both pins)

Stk coil Primary=3.0 Ohms

Stk coil Secondary=13.13 KiloOhms(same measured on both pins)

Fargo, I looked at those but R1 masters are a 1/3 of the price. I also dig that the these masters have a bleeder on them. How much were your masters?

Fargo, I looked at those but R1 masters are a 1/3 of the price. I also dig that the these masters have a bleeder on them. How much were your masters?

Mark, I dont remember how much the masters were. I had Sean get them for me at his price from the dealer when we were building up the bike. Although I do like the idea of bleeders. Let me look up the price list I had with Sean and I will PM you.
Cheers Bro

Not to hijack the thread. Looks like this is a good Mod. I am going to do it

Does anybody know the voltage outputs of the different COP out there just for compairing and what the stock output is just to see the differences?

Does anybody know the voltage outputs of the different COP out there just for compairing and what the stock output is just to see the differences?

I have not. I did look at the difference in spark with the Coil sticks i'm running vs the stk coils. Spark was bluer and spark was a good deal wider with the Coil sticks. Have not checked the actual voltage output though.

really good MOD, didn't quite understand it at the beginning, but with the pics was clear as water.

Interesting... now the main thing to find out is the output voltage rating, it may be weaker with the stick coil thatn with the stk coil... dont you think ??? will this make a difference ??

Cheers to the MOD, really nice !! :clapping:

really good MOD, didn't quite understand it at the beginning, but with the pics was clear as water.

Interesting... now the main thing to find out is the output voltage rating, it may be weaker with the stick coil thatn with the stk coil... dont you think ??? will this make a difference ??

Cheers to the MOD, really nice !! :clapping:

I would have to think the voltage would at least be equal if not greater than the stockers.
I just picked up an R1 set off Ebay for under $20 shipped. Sad part I was going to get the sub wiring harness it and someone beat me to it :bang head:
Let you all know how it works.

Back