Mike's Bike

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Someday I will probably cave in and get a lift Dan-o. Its not in the cards right now though. I'm working on putting a underslung R1 blue spot out back and a stock front rotor on the rear wheel.

Wrenching time has been hard to come by lately. I did make a little progress today. I mocked up the underslung setup, cut the brake bar bracket and brake line bracket off the swingarm and smoothed it out. Cut those pieces up to work with the new setup, took some measurements, and prepped everything to weld back together. I'm going to take it in to work and try to get that done this week.

Removed the rear diff, removed the bearing carrier and plastic shield. Put it back together without the shield and stripped the paint. Tal Strip II aerosol paint remover is good stuff! Took the paint right off. After seeing what the diff looks like bare I realize that it would take a lot sanding to polish it up. Not sure if I'm going to bother to try it to polish it, or just paint it black.

Prepped a R1 caliper for powder coating.

Hoping to get all my parts together in the next 2 weeks and get them coated.

Someday I will probably cave in and get a lift Dan-o. Its not in the cards right now though. I'm working on putting a underslung R1 blue spot out back and a stock front rotor on the rear wheel.

Wrenching time has been hard to come by lately. I did make a little progress today. I mocked up the underslung setup, cut the brake bar bracket and brake line bracket off the swingarm and smoothed it out. Cut those pieces up to work with the new setup, took some measurements, and prepped everything to weld back together. I'm going to take it in to work and try to get that done this week.

Removed the rear diff, removed the bearing carrier and plastic shield. Put it back together without the shield and stripped the paint. Tal Strip II aerosol paint remover is good stuff! Took the paint right off. After seeing what the diff looks like bare I realize that it would take a lot sanding to polish it up. Not sure if I'm going to bother to try it to polish it, or just paint it black.

Prepped a R1 caliper for powder coating.

Hoping to get all my parts together in the next 2 weeks and get them coated.

black would sure be easier to maintain! i'm sure after this much downtime you'll want less maintenaince and more ride time

Getting closer. Pictures are better than words.

Attachments

• 2012-06-04_23-01-06_950.jpg
    2012-06-04_23-01-06_950.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 71
  • 2012-06-04_23-01-51_162.jpg
    2012-06-04_23-01-51_162.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 85
  • 2012-06-04_23-35-32_251.jpg
    2012-06-04_23-35-32_251.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 61
  • 2012-06-04_23-36-08_118.jpg
    2012-06-04_23-36-08_118.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 216
  • 2012-06-04_23-39-09_300.jpg
    2012-06-04_23-39-09_300.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 57
  • 2012-06-04_23-39-42_309.jpg
    2012-06-04_23-39-42_309.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 75
HOLY CRAP! To describe your swingarm as "beefy" would be an understatement. Looking good, brah.

HOLY CRAP! To describe your swingarm as "beefy" would be an understatement. Looking good, brah.

sean made me i think an identical one. they're quite stout.

mike, looks fucking beautiful. what size tires you got on her? what else needs to be done? exhaust?

Thanks for the compliments guys.

what size tires you got on her? what else needs to be done? exhaust?

Metzeler Sportec M3 in 180/55/17 and 120/70/17. I was measuring things before I bought the tires and I wasn't sure if a 190 would fit. Now that I have the 180 on there and I see how much space is left, I'm STILL not sure if a 190 would fit. It would be damn close! I might try in the future. If I did the washer swap, I am sure it would fit without and issue.

There is still a lot that needs done. I had the tires mounted yesterday. When I got home last night, I was curious how it would fit so I decided to give it a try. One thing lead to another and I was too anxious to see what it was going to look like so I just kinda threw it all together just to get a look. I have to tear it all back apart. The gas tank is not installed, it is still in my office. It needs cleaned up inside, then installed. I have to change out the rear rotor and rotor adapter hardware to stainless. Fix the threads in one bolt hole in the rear wheel. Polish up the rims a little better. Bleed all the brake and clutch lines. Might have to do some adjustments to my license plate holder, not sure if the tire will hit it or not if the shocks compress all the way. I need to check that out. Probably need to crack open the carbs to check the jet blocks after sitting for 1.5 years!

The thing I'm most concerned over is the new speedo. Not that I need it to ride but I gotta get it set up sooner or later. I've been looking for a 80mm (3-1/8") gauge cup but can only find a couple on the internet and both are ugly/not what I want to use. I've got some ideas on how to make one but it would be a PIA and take time, which I do not have lately.

Thanks for the compliments guys.

Metzeler Sportec M3 in 180/55/17 and 120/70/17. I was measuring things before I bought the tires and I wasn't sure if a 190 would fit. Now that I have the 180 on there and I see how much space is left, I'm STILL not sure if a 190 would fit. It would be damn close! I might try in the future. If I did the washer swap, I am sure it would fit without and issue.

There is still a lot that needs done. I had the tires mounted yesterday. When I got home last night, I was curious how it would fit so I decided to give it a try. One thing lead to another and I was too anxious to see what it was going to look like so I just kinda threw it all together just to get a look. I have to tear it all back apart. The gas tank is not installed, it is still in my office. It needs cleaned up inside, then installed. I have to change out the rear rotor and rotor adapter hardware to stainless. Fix the threads in one bolt hole in the rear wheel. Polish up the rims a little better. Bleed all the brake and clutch lines. Might have to do some adjustments to my license plate holder, not sure if the tire will hit it or not if the shocks compress all the way. I need to check that out. Probably need to crack open the carbs to check the jet blocks after sitting for 1.5 years!

The thing I'm most concerned over is the new speedo. Not that I need it to ride but I gotta get it set up sooner or later. I've been looking for a 80mm (3-1/8") gauge cup but can only find a couple on the internet and both are ugly/not what I want to use. I've got some ideas on how to make one but it would be a PIA and take time, which I do not have lately.

did morley notch for you? on my morley notched swingarm with a washer swap i got 2 pieces of paper inbetween on my shinko.

it looks sick, i totally didn't even see the tank missing. yea you sitll have a lot of work left to do huh? hopefully july you'll be riding?

did morley notch for you? on my morley notched swingarm with a washer swap i got 2 pieces of paper inbetween on my shinko.

it looks sick, i totally didn't even see the tank missing. yea you sitll have a lot of work left to do huh? hopefully july you'll be riding?

The swingarm is not notched. It is offset to the left to try and center the wheel up. Whenver Sean does that, there is not much room left to put a notch before you have an interference issue with the driveshaft.

The plan is to be ready for Thunder.

You're running a Shinko 190 right?

We've run 200's on the carr wheels and 190's on other wheels with that swingarm setup.

Sean

The swingarm is not notched. It is offset to the left to try and center the wheel up. Whenver Sean does that, there is not much room left to put a notch before you have an interference issue with the driveshaft.

The plan is to be ready for Thunder.

You're running a Shinko 190 right?

yup. verge 011. going to try the advance next with a 130 front.

makes sense on the offset too, i have 'stock' offset and a kosman wheel.

I will be running a Shinko Verge 011 200/50-18 on Carr's w/ Sean's 3" stretched & braced arm. I should be getting the arm soon!:punk: Pictures will follow the install.
BTW Mike, your bike is looking marvelous! :thumbs up: :thumbs up:

We've run 200's on the carr wheels and 190's on other wheels with that swingarm setup.

Sean

A 200 would look good. My wheel doesn't have enough offset to allow that. I shipped the complete arm to Tom @ COO and asked him to make the wheel offset whatever it needed to be to allow the wheel to be centered on the bike. Looks pretty close to me.

I measured last night and came up with about 7mm between the notch and my tire so I'm thinking a 190 *should* fit.

Yea, that should be enough. That's also another 7mm for the other side since only half the tire sticks to the left. So, 14mm worth of clearance for a 10mm wider tire!

Sean

a693580f-c6cf-e175.jpg
I have ( I think ) the same rear wheel as you and one of seans swingarms. Running a 190 rear. And I can slip a business card through it barely. You should be ok with a 190.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

Well, I finally got the bike together after sitting for almost 2 years. Friday night I rebuilt the rear caliper with new seals, bled the brakes, mounted up the rear diff again, did some speedometer fab and wiring, etc.. I was up till 5AM.

Saturday morning I finished up some odds and ends and synched the carbs. They were way out of whack after tearing them down for cleaning.

I was ready for a quick test ride and put some fuel in the tank. My 7 year old son asked if he could come along. I was pretty excited that he was interested in going for a ride. He used to run and hide when I fired up the bike. We went on a shakedown run up to the gas station. Everything seemed to be working well. Other than the speedo was a little off.

I got home, took a shower and rode out to Thunder. I met up with a bunch of guys at the Days Inn at Somerset and went for a little ride with them.

The bike feels like a different machine now. The brakes are amazing. MUCH more stable with the braced rear arm and radials. Thanks goes out to Sean for all the help with the project. And I am really enjoying the expanded fuel tank. The ability to go 100 miles and not worry about fuel is great.

It was really nice to get out and feel the wind. Its been way too long. Looking forward to logging some miles this year!

Congrats Mike....it's been awhile coming but you got 'er done! :clapping:

I swapped the internal gears in my speedo drive to get it calibrated to the new radials....think I used an FZ6 drive as a donor but not sure, the housings are identical but axle size is different.

Latest posts

Back