money tied up in your max

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

copilot777

Reaction score
Just for curiousity ,I am interested in the amount of money vmax enthusiast have tied up in there max , (roughly) ?
I so far have 2000$ originally for my 1986 max
5000 for supercharger
1200 powdercoating
650 pistons
450 in slip on pipes
350 in barnett clutch
275 in regulator /rectifier
160 in tach
40 boost gauge
and some other misc
But heres the kicker ( shhhhhhhhh) do not tell wife lol
Now I have to rebuild ( I lost oil pressure and did some damage)
This time around I am considering a venture block,
new pistons again,(9,1 C/r instead of 8,6.1 )
kerker full header
dyna 3000 ignition unit
solid mounts
undercut tranny / with 5th overdrive
and some other misc , about a total somewhere around another 4000 or so . I guess my concern would be if the money i spend on my bike is about normal for vmax enthusiast (lol) Thanks ,Jason

I bought mine for $5200 and have a total of about $17,000 so far and haven't been inside the engine yet.

Well, I think I have 7K in chrome in two face plus this new 1500 will have some serious money in it ($800 in Valves, $1200 in rods, $600 in pistons, $$$$ in port work, $800 Undercut and overdrive trans, Machine Work/Sleeves, $700 in Cams, Shim under buckets, Misc). That doesn't include frame raking ($500), extended swingarm and HD shaft ($800), Custom Wheels $1500 (used to have chrome wheels - will be chroming these eventually).

It's easy to get a bunch of money sunk into the bike. It is still worth it in my opinion. You still can't buy any other bike with this much character. Every where you go people oogle over them,

Sean Morley

$4,500.00 for the bike brand new back in 1985. $23.00 for a bike cover. Broke down last spring and invested another $75.00 for the small,tinted turn signal-mounted shield. Several tires and oil changes and a set of plug wires and boots over the last 23 years.

I've loved every minute of it until I screwed up and rode a Honda Rune the other day. Darn Rune rides like a cadillac. I'm going to miss the acceleration of the Vmax.

Anyone know someone wanting a one-owner 1985 red Vmax with approx 24K miles? I'm slowing down as I get older and am thinking of selling Max.

according to the receipts i have-i've got a total of $23414.00 into the bike right now and that does not include the $8000.00 i paid for the bike. grand total $31414.00. this number is sure to increase as the bike is scheduled into the shop next week to install the newer r1 front end, isr masters, and ohlins rear shocks. and the wish list still contains a few high priced goodies. already spent this years allowance-so i'll have to wait till the snow flies again to spend the next 4k. most people arent as crazy about their bike as i am, but its nice to see i'm not the only one over 15k!! it'll make it easier to get the money if the ole lady sees i'm not the only sick one out there.

later odieoh24-3611

Attachments

• 017.JPG
    017.JPG
    174.7 KB · Views: 43
  • 018.jpg
    018.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 39
Bought my '96 basket case for $2800 & just made the final credit card payment 2 hours ago - YEEHAWWWWW - so far I've bought cheap-ass leak proof fork seals, EBC HH front pads ( can't cheap out on brakes ), a fuel filter, plugs , factory clutch slave cyl. & clutch friction disks should be here by Friday - also a Stant thermostat & Borg-Warner fan switch - all carb work, manometer, aluminum polishing & various adjustments are labor only - yea LOTS of labor, but what a cool-ass hobby !! - haven't added it up yet, but I'll bet I have one of the cheapest Vmax's on this site - it ain't pretty, but it sure is the best machine I've ever owned - I should change my user name to REDNECKMAX !!!:punk:

according to the receipts i have-i've got a total of $23414.00 into the bike right now and that does not include the $8000.00 i paid for the bike. grand total $31414.00. this number is sure to increase as the bike is scheduled into the shop next week to install the newer r1 front end, isr masters, and ohlins rear shocks. and the wish list still contains a few high priced goodies. already spent this years allowance-so i'll have to wait till the snow flies again to spend the next 4k. most people arent as crazy about their bike as i am, but its nice to see i'm not the only one over 15k!! it'll make it easier to get the money if the ole lady sees i'm not the only sick one out there.

later odieoh24-3611

Man, bike looks good but you've got to let loose of another $1000 or so and get a full header. Make the bike run as good as it looks! The cobra's look cool but run like crap!

Sean

Adding up the receipts, I'm just a few pennies over $1,080 nbot including the price of the bike.

On the list still for this summer is, a new rear section with pillion cushon like the one on Rusty's bike, and new wheels, tires and Galfer wave rotors.

Winter is the NO2 kit, progressive controller and braided lines and dress up the motor a little.

Exactly $10.83

Wait a minute that is my gasoline receipt.

Attachments

• 12APR08 (800 x 602).jpg
    12APR08 (800 x 602).jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 42
Thanks guys.

To stay on topic, it is a '93 that I bought in used with 700 miles on it in '95 for $5500. Over the last 13 years I have probably invested $15K in it. I have had 2 different 4-1 exhausts (Holeshot and Hindle) 3 different 4-2 (HMF, and 2 different BSM). I have a set of Dymag wheels, but I have a set of Lightcons currently on it. Then there is the various and sundry bits and pieces like paint, chrome, body parts, brakes, forks, shocks, stage VII, etc...

I did not do this all at one time. It has truly taken me 13 years to get it into this form. My wife wants me to say that I am done. I still have a few more things in mind.

The most that I am doing right now is riding! The weather has been great and the twisties are calling. I take the long way home every night!

Cheapest? let's see...
1985 V-Max on Craigslist, 500.00
Factory Clutch kit, E-bay, 201.50
Factory Clutch Mstr cyl, 85.00
"War Kitten Butterscotch" paint @ Napa 50.00
Tires (V Rated) 242.00 installed and balanced
Handlebar control boxes e-bay 65.00
Speedo, cable, drive e-bay 60.00
Factory Turn Signal Module 100.00
DMV fees 55.00
Clutch hose 55.55
mstr cyl kit 23.59
1437, 64 total so far,
getting carb kits this week, again e-bay.
Way too cheap for this much fun.
Shout out to Craigslist. Lucky find for a complete, albeit not running V-Max.
Only the second bike I've ever owned that didn't leave a spot in the garage.

I've only got about 8,000 in parts over the 11,000 I paid for it new in 2006.

I did ALL the wrenching myself though so if you add in labor it would be more money. I won't let people do to my stuff what I know I can do better...:biglaugh:

I've only got about 8,000 in parts over the 11,000 I paid for it new in 2006.

I did ALL the wrenching myself though so if you add in labor it would be more money. I won't let people do to my stuff what I know I can do better...:biglaugh:

No one but me has ever laid a wrench on my bike also......

Latest posts

Back