Most bang for my buck? NOS? Big pistons?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pittnathan

Reaction score
What'll give me the bigest power increase for the least money? Would a nos system blow a stock engine to the moon?

At the moment all I have is a 4-2-1 dragster exhaust and soon to be fitted morely muscle jet kit.

I made the mistake of riding a gen 2 very briefly and now mine feels slow!

I'm in the process of putting a boss nos system on my bike. Roughly $1,000 for 40 horsepower. I've heard flatsides won't do much that seans kit or stage 7 won't do.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

Can 40bhp be run safely without frying the engine? If so, it sounds like a very reasonable power option. I can imagine you'd arms like popeye to hold on to the max though!

The guy at boss noss. Said I could run up to 60. But people on the forum that know a lot more about the vmax specifically have said don't do more than 40. ( please correct me if I'm wrong ) but I plan on getting mine installed in may and will learn first hand with 40 HP

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

Can 40bhp be run safely without frying the engine? If so, it sounds like a very reasonable power option. I can imagine you'd arms like popeye to hold on to the max though!

I'm running just about a 40 hp shot and it doesnt rip your arms out of the socket. Gives a nice pull though, sorta like vboost kicking in around 6k rpm.
Get a big bottle cause it goes fast and you will be constantly filling it back up.
That's why i went with 2 bottles :punk:

Attachments

• 2012-03-17_17-49-11_878[1] (Small).JPG
    2012-03-17_17-49-11_878[1] (Small).JPG
    87.4 KB · Views: 44

Attachments

• vmax 017 (Small).jpg
    vmax 017 (Small).jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 35
  • vmax 011 (Small).jpg
    vmax 011 (Small).jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 31
  • 2012-03-17_17-47-54_711[1] (Small).JPG
    2012-03-17_17-47-54_711[1] (Small).JPG
    94.7 KB · Views: 38
One word, Flatslide carbs.

Not really, they don't outperform a good stock carb setup, make your legs smell like gas, and cost a ton of money. And from what I've seen have lots of other annoying side effects. Like no choke so cold starting is a PITA, and when it gets hot in traffic it runs like crap.

If the full exhaust and muscle jetting doesn't do it for you, then go buy a Z1000. You can get brand new leftovers for $8500-9k, factoring in the sale of your bike, you'd be out about what a big-bore build would cost, but you also get EFI, radials, chain drive, and a warranty.

Not really, they don't outperform a good stock carb setup, make your legs smell like gas, and cost a ton of money. And from what I've seen have lots of other annoying side effects. Like no choke so cold starting is a PITA, and when it gets hot in traffic it runs like crap.

What flat-slides did you have and perhaps you could also elaborate on what the 'lots of other annoying side effects' are?

What you say is not my experience - The Mikuni TDMR's that I run don't smell (they are down-draft), has a choke and is fuels well all through the rev range and are quite happy in town.
They also have accelerator pumps which gives instant go when you wind the throttle.

They certainly gave more power than my standard set-up but I do concede that could probably have been improved upon.

I would also suggest that they are a good idea if you increase the capacity of the motor.

Regarding NOS - cheap(ish) power and fine if you are dragging the bike but given the short time the gas lasts I wonder how practical it is for road use?

I don't think there is a 'cheap' way to improve the performance of an engine - if there was then manufacturers would have Incorporated it.
If you want Gen II performance then having a motor with a similar displacement (ya can't beat cubes!) would be my first choice....then carbs...then cams....then head job.... - not cheap.
It would be prudent to also upgrade brakes and suspension to handle all the extra go.
Bottom like is that you are talking big bucks.

I think the most practical suggestion made so far has been to get a Gen II - I suspect it would work out as the cheapest option in the long run.

Haven't fooled with nitrous for a long time. Actually filled and sold bottles at one time. Five years back it was about $5.00 a pound... 2 Pound bottle doesn't last very long. Can be measured in seconds, so if your going to run it buy a fill station (about $1000.00) and talk to your local welding supply shop to get large cylinders so it's more economical to run. Oh! Your going to need a compressor to run that fill station... maybe not such a good idea.

Haven't fooled with nitrous for a long time. Actually filled and sold bottles at one time. Five years back it was about $5.00 a pound... 2 Pound bottle doesn't last very long. Can be measured in seconds, so if your going to run it buy a fill station (about $1000.00) and talk to your local welding supply shop to get large cylinders so it's more economical to run. Oh! Your going to need a compressor to run that fill station... maybe not such a good idea.

It is very likely that your local jurisdiction having authority may require a permit for the install/operation and if you have intentions of trying to operate it as a business your zoning regulations may prohibit it. FYI. To be sure, check w/the building, zoning, and fire marshal's offices, whoever does plans review.

Over the years we've always been looking for the magic pill to go fast. It started in cars, in the 60's for me. Then bikes. There is NO cheap way to go.
I can vouch for Seans system as of yesterday. The difference in excellereation is incredible. I rode the bike I just installed the system on, and Mark rode mine (which is no sloutch), mine was a speck in the mirror in seconds. His bike is low mile and has a Marks 4-2. Otherwise stock.
After that, there's no replacement for displacement. I's think NOS would be more if you bought the whole system.Less if you could fab it.
I can't imagine the Morley kit if Mark had some head work to go with it, I can't wait to dyno it. Big thanks to Sean for calling us back in a flash to verify something, And,Garrett for his support, he rode over to help us out-thanks, he lives a bit away. And, everybody here that did the reseach for us in advance. Jets and clip position workrd out great thanks to all you previous installers.
punk0000.gif

I'm running just about a 40 hp shot and it doesnt rip your arms out of the socket. Gives a nice pull though, sorta like vboost kicking in around 6k rpm.
Get a big bottle cause it goes fast and you will be constantly filling it back up.
That's why i went with 2 bottles :punk:
Bill, your bike looks great. That front end really makes it. I can't wait to see it in person.More pics?
Steve

Our kit when tuned has been dyno proven to make the same or more power then the flatslides on the same engine. This is not testing done by me! This was testing done at PCW. Plus you get to keep the oem startability and econonmy. Plus, the carbs are not as affected by climate and altitude changes.

NOS is the simplest and cheapest way to get quick power. After that a turbo or big bore.

Sean

Sean

I don't think there is a 'cheap' way to improve the performance of an engine - if there was then manufacturers would have Incorporated it.
If you want Gen II performance then having a motor with a similar displacement (ya can't beat cubes!) would be my first choice....then carbs...then cams....then head job.... - not cheap.
That is why I said what I said, A gen l modified is going to have fun keeping up with a stock gen ll, somewhere out there there is a gen l lerking that can do so, but that is few and far between.
Haven't fooled with nitrous for a long time.
It is great for drag strips but for all the time use it does not last long enough and when the bottle is empty your still riding what you had before you used it all up.
there's no replacement for displacement.
Displacement never runs empty you have it all the time.
Speed is about money. With enough money you can make a barn door fly. But with a few placed dollars you can improve on it.
then carbs...then cams....then head job.... - not cheap.
My choice would be carbs , then exhaust

Ugh, people always ripping on flatsides, I LOVE mine!! They don't have cold start issues, they sound and look good, and honestly have been literally maintenance free for 3 yrs for me. But no matter what you do, somebody is gonna say its not the way to go. You know the saying, opinions are like assholes....

Ok let just clear the air on Flatsides, Just for the record i have the PCW 1500 tourmaster motor with PCW 39mm flatsides 150 main air jet ,Marks 4 into 2 into 1 system running 18 Rc wheels.Last year we rode to Cleveland Ohio just cruising i averaged 41mpg. Also i been where you are if i had to do it all over again and choose my max over some other Cookie Cutter Big Hp roll off the showroom floor Bike ,hell yeah it was worth it all .I got a nice bike just never plan on selling it cause i know id be lucky to get half of what i have in it. Now if it was me and i did all my research and wanted a gen 2 but didnt like the price i would goto ebay and buy a b-king 7 to 8 k put a D&D exhaust system on it and put the extra coin in my pocket or feed the Mod Monkey! Bottom line if you plan on Modding your gen 1 for HP plan on spending some $$$$. JIM vmoa 3933

I think it all depends on how many bucks you have to spend and how loud / fast you want to bang . Put a $ amount limit to the ? and you'll get a better answer .

Back