Motorcycle jack

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EAGLEPI

Reaction score
I'm thinking about buying a motorcycle jack at Sears and never using one before the first thing that comes to mind is, won't the exhaust pipes be in the way?

I would be interested in anyone who has bought a jack anything like this one telling me how they liked it.

jack.jpg

I've got something similar and it works great. The bike can be lifted on the exhaust headers no problem.

Just make sure the load rating is high enough for the Max's lardness!

I've got something similar and it works great. The bike can be lifted on the exhaust headers no problem.

Just make sure the load rating is high enough for the Max's lardness!

So you are saying that if the jack is using the headers as the contact point it will not dent, bend or put pressure on the bolt studs that will damage any of the above?

Works fine. I haven't dented my pipes yet.
The GF's Marauder is a different story. I can't find a place to put it and make it level. Max is fine though.
(Same exact lift btw)

Works fine. I haven't dented my pipes yet.
The GF's Marauder is a different story. I can't find a place to put it and make it level. Max is fine though.
(Same exact lift btw)

Sorry I confuse easy.. is The GF's Marauder another jack??

what is the "Max is fine though"

Thanks
Ron

Sorry. I was lazy and didn't type it out.
The jack doesn't work on my girlfriend's Suzuki Marauder worth a shit, but I've never had a problem using it on the Vmax.
It works great on the ATV, and for a transmission jack too.

Sorry. I was lazy and didn't type it out.
The jack doesn't work on my girlfriend's Suzuki Marauder worth a shit, but I've never had a problem using it on the Vmax.
It works great on the ATV, and for a transmission jack too.

Thanks for explaining. I have been watching some Youtube videos and it seems that the yellow jack is not that steady but I haven't seem any major problems with the red jack.

Yup it works fine if your bike isnt lowered. After I lowered mine I have to have an extra hand to help me get the jack under the bike.

Ron, lots of guys jack up by the exhaust pipes. I've never heard of a single person ruining them. But it doesn't sit right with me, I've done it, but not for long.

Yep, been doing it like that for quite some time. the only problem I ever had was running the bike while on the jack. It stayed in place just fine but the headers melted the rubber inserts - doh!

Sean

My front is lowered about 1 1/2 to 2 " haven't measured so I don't know exactly, will that present a problem with the jack?? even if it's on the centerstand when I try to slide the jack under the bike.

What lb jack should I get, the red one is 1500 lbs right?

Not sure. If it's on the centerstand then you really don't need that much jack 99% of the time (in my opinion). We simply use a regular automotive jack at that point under the front section of the block (on the oil pan area). Likely it will fit under if you have it up on the stand.

1500lbs is more then enough capacity.

Sean

Not sure. If it's on the centerstand then you really don't need that much jack 99% of the time (in my opinion). We simply use a regular automotive jack at that point under the front section of the block (on the oil pan area). Likely it will fit under if you have it up on the stand.

1500lbs is more then enough capacity.

Sean

I was thinking that also but was wondering if the jack would help when I am about to change my tires. I need to take both off and bring them in to have the new tires mounted. I guess the wood blocks that RedBone showed me would do for this one time thing every year or so.

I was thinking that also but was wondering if the jack would help when I am about to change my tires. I need to take both off and bring them in to have the new tires mounted. I guess the wood blocks that RedBone showed me would do for this one time thing every year or so.

i use a bottle jack to jack up the oil pan and then put jackstands under my engine guards.

i use a bottle jack to jack up the oil pan and then put jackstands under my engine guards.

Good Idea, all I have to do is buy a bottle jack and then put my case guards on.........lol What do you do for the back? or does the centerstand take care of that?

Centerstand will take care of the rear. Then a regular floor jack to get the front end up long enough to slip the jack stands under the engine guards. I have a couple of "Pit Bull" or Bull Dog" bike stands that we use from time to time. They even have a stem stand that can lift the front end up by the pivot area of the steering stem which lets you be able to remove the forks even (which your jackstand method will do too).

Sean

Going shopping tonight

1. Bottle Jack or floor jack
2. (2 ) jack stands

:eusa_dance::eusa_dance::eusa_dance:

i have one of those light weight al. harbor freight floor jacks. works great. put it on the center stand then put a 2x4 on the jack and jack up the oil pan. My tire shop did the same thing when my bike was on the motorcycle lift. i wouldn't want to lift 650 pounds via the headers. probably be ok but doesn't give me the fuzzies.

i have one of those light weight al. harbor freight floor jacks. works great. put it on the center stand then put a 2x4 on the jack and jack up the oil pan. My tire shop did the same thing when my bike was on the motorcycle lift. i wouldn't want to lift 650 pounds via the headers. probably be ok but doesn't give me the fuzzies.

I got the "fuzzies" thinking about it and although all those who know say it's ok.. I like this bottle jack and jack stands better. Sears has both for under $50. I know HF has them for less but I like to buy Sears when I can afford it.

Latest posts

Back