Motorcycle "Lazy Susan"

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Miles Long

Reaction score
This question was inspired by another active one - "Bike Dolly for under $12.00"

I'm sure I'm not the only M/C owner that is short on garage space, and has resorted to using a turntable to park and maneuver the bike.
I've been using a home-made one since I purchased my bike, but it was kind of "over-engineered" - it's big and bulky, and weighs a ton (not much of an exaggeration) Since it's so big and hard to move, occasionally bringing my car into the garage for maintenance, or storage when I am away, is out of the question.
I know there are commercially available ones, and no doubt some fine self-constructed ones as well. All of them would have to be smaller than my monstrosity.
Any suggestions or pics?
Cheers!

Kinda off topic, but my brother collects Simca's, which is a French car that was imported here. He has 23 of them in his garage, and made a rack system where he stacks them using a towmotor. He does have the unfair advantage of 12 foot high walls though!

Kinda off topic, but my brother collects Simca's, which is a French car that was imported here. He has 23 of them in his garage, and made a rack system where he stacks them using a towmotor. He does have the unfair advantage of 12 foot high walls though!

AND the unfair advantage of having a towmotor!! :biglaugh:

anyone i know that's had one, admittedly 2 people, has liked them. however i think the thing is, for how much space it takes up, how often do you really need/use it?

Garret, I use it every time that I take my bike out, and to store it when not using it.
My garage is a single car "tuck-under", with a slight rise at the bottom of the driveway, before the door opening. Backing the bike down the driveway, and then over the hump and into the garage, requires a person to help push/pull.
Consequently, I need a drive in, drive out arrangement. Hence the turntable.
Thanks to you, as well as Jim and Danny.
The "Harley Davidson bike dolly" is a stand only (a bike has to be jacked up first, then this placed under it), but I like the wheel arrangement, which allows for almost zero clearance on the floor.
A friend of mine has one of the Harbor Freight units. They are kind of flimsy, the wheels raise it 2" off the floor, and it has to be secured well before driving a bike onto it.
However, taking ideas from both designs, I could envision this -
An eight foot length of aluminum channel, wide enough for the tires and some sidewall clearance, with outriggers fore and aft, equipped with the HD dolly wheels. And pinned to the floor at the center, which would allow it to spin 360. A sidestand tray wouldn't be required, with only a small clearance between the channel bottom and floor. Also, a simple removable pin mount, for keeping the turntable in place when driving off or on.
Looks like I may have a shopping list, next time I take a load of scrap metal to the recyclers.
Thanks again!:clapping:

Garret, I use it every time that I take my bike out, and to store it when not using it.
My garage is a single car "tuck-under", with a slight rise at the bottom of the driveway, before the door opening. Backing the bike down the driveway, and then over the hump and into the garage, requires a person to help push/pull.
The "Harley Davidson bike dolly" is a stand only (a bike has to be jacked up first, then this placed under it), but I like the wheel arrangement, which allows for almost zero clearance on the floor.
A friend of mine has one of the Harbor Freight units. They are kind of flimsy, the wheels raise it 2" off the floor, and it has to be secured well before driving a bike onto it.
An eight foot length of aluminum channel, wide enough for the tires and some sidewall clearance, with outriggers fore and aft, equipped with the HD dolly wheels. And pinned to the floor at the center, which would allow it to spin 360. A sidestand tray wouldn't be required, with only a small clearance between the channel bottom and floor. Also, a simple removable pin mount, for keeping the turntable in place when driving off or on.
Looks like I may have a shopping list, next time I take a load of scrap metal to the recyclers.
Thanks again!:clapping:

That's a hell of an idea Miles....could be built with an 8' pt 2"x6" even...couple 2"x4"'s along the side for strength...:confused2:

That's a hell of an idea Miles....could be built with an 8' pt 2"x6" even...couple 2"x4"'s along the side for strength...:confused2:

Thanks, Dan. I'll consider the wood, if the alum.channel is unavailable.
By the way, for anyone following this thread - I made a very fundamental error when I wrote this. First person to spot it gets the Wart Cringal Award for effective proofreading....

Originally Posted by Miles Long

Thanks again!
clapping.gif

Thanks, Dan. I'll consider the wood, if the alum.channel is unavailable.
By the way, for anyone following this thread - I made a very fundamental error when I wrote this. First person to spot it gets the Wart Cringal Award for effective proofreading....

You wouldnt believe the WART pictures that came up when I tried to google this.....:rofl_200:

Back