Motorcycle prejudice

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Transam

Reaction score
Hey Guys,
Wondering if anyone else is running into this where they work.
The company I work for was recently bought out by another.
As the trainer was speaking to me he noticed my bike outside.
He then turned to me and said you know you can't ride that
bike to meetings or for sales calls. I asked him why, he said it was a liabilty
issue but I would be allowed to drive it to work, WTF !!:banned::hammer bash::boxing00::rulez::th_biggun: What do you mean I'm allowed to ride it to work !!
Checked the company policy after he left and it doesn't say you can't
ride the bike to meetings, you just won't be reimbursed for mileage !
A 180 mile round trip !!! Where are these guys minds have they not heard
of conservation at the very least.
Freakin Drag !

Sounds like he either dosn't know the rules, or hes one of them boss types who thinks that riding your bike to meetings, sales calls, etc.. will cause enjoyment and being he isn't getting any, therefore you shouldn't be having any.

I used to have a Sgt. at my old police department who used to bag on my chopper cause "that dosn't look like a cop's bike, Its too loud, etc..." and I've heard all too many times that "your riding with those guys? that dosn't look right"

I found out later that he likes to hide behind his stripes and try to control what others in the office do. I never intimidated easily so I used to piss him off on a regular basis. :biglaugh:

I figure if its not in the books, ride ride ride :punk:

Interesting...
I'm not in sales, so I don't have to ride until it's time to head home. On the contrary, at work, we have a good cross section of bikes in peak season.
I even managed to convince the company to install awnings to shield our bikes from the rain... Of course it helped that the plant manager rides.
No prejudice here.

Hey Guys,
Wondering if anyone else is running into this where they work.
The company I work for was recently bought out by another.
As the trainer was speaking to me he noticed my bike outside.
He then turned to me and said you know you can't ride that
bike to meetings or for sales calls. I asked him why, he said it was a liabilty
issue but I would be allowed to drive it to work, WTF !!:banned::hammer bash::boxing00::rulez::th_biggun: What do you mean I'm allowed to ride it to work !!
Checked the company policy after he left and it doesn't say you can't
ride the bike to meetings, you just won't be reimbursed for mileage !
A 180 mile round trip !!! Where are these guys minds have they not heard
of conservation at the very least.
Freakin Drag !

I'm not sure if it works the same in the US, but in Canada if you are doing something for work and get hurt, you are covered under Workman's Compensation. Claims to Workman's Comp cost the company more money based on the number of claims they have. So I'm guessing his statement means that during work hours, when you are going to a work related meeting on your bike and get hurt, they would or could be liable for a claim to Workman's Comp.

If my reading between the lines is correct, my guess is that he thinks that the bike or biker is not the image that he want's to portray to his customers and is hoping you take the hint and don't question it. This way he doesn't have to tell you how he really feels and at the same time he avoids any confrontation too. Typical spineless boss. If this is the case, I would rather he just shoot me straight than pull the "I'm the boss so do it" card. I could be wrong though.

you can ride from home to work , or from home to a meeting , but you cant ride from work to a meeting . but i would tell him to sit and spin eather way .

Well I've never had a prob with the bike/job issue,..seem that all the places I've worked had no discrimination against vehicle type. Hell, I used to quad to work with one of the general supervisors cause he thought it was a blast when he saw me ride mine in to work one day.
But then again ,..the white collar profession always sees things differently.
Biked with a guy awhile that moved into town,..new bank manager. clean cut ,GQ type ,..when he showed up for our ride , I didn't recognize him,.dark shades,both arms full sleeved. He laughed and said "yea, no short sleeve dress shirts at work for me ,..but what the don't know won't hurtem"
:clapping:

NEVER judge a book by it's cover.,...the day I'm told not to ride my bike to work because of company policy,..is the day I run a hammer and sickel up the flag pole and collect my severance.

Things like that just reinforce my statement of people who wear ties for a living shouldn't make and decisions more important that what to order for lunch.

If my reading between the lines is correct, my guess is that he thinks that the bike or biker is not the image that he want's to portray to his customers and is hoping you take the hint and don't question it. This way he doesn't have to tell you how he really feels and at the same time he avoids any confrontation too. Typical spineless boss. If this is the case, I would rather he just shoot me straight than pull the "I'm the boss so do it" card. I could be wrong though.

my exact thoughts as well..

Sounds like my boss. He pulls made-up rules outta his ass all the time. I just ignore the stupid fucker.

This actually happened to my wife at her new job a couple years ago. New boss with his brand new Hardly Davidson and before you knew it, she had to have her own license to ride. By the time she finished her lessons, sold her original Kaw 500 learner and bought her new Suz C90T Boulevard, she could ride circles around that boss of hers and it pissed him off.

He eventually sold his Harldly D, and then a coupole months later sat her down for the ole' "people are afraid of bikers" talk. He warned her not to dress quite so "biker" while at work, in other words, no more bike T's and leave the lace-up boots at home. (she worked in a blue jean and T shirt environment).

She still has the C90T AND a 2004 Honda Rune. She no longer has the same boss and the people where she works now don't seem to mind her "biker" image on certain days.

My owner doesn't want me making any sales calls on my bike either. It's not a safety issue, but an image issue. I do have some customers that are more like friends that have no problem with it. My plan is to drive the Max in on a Friday afternoon and make my sales calls Downtown. Then I can ride home on the H.O.V. (high occupancy vehicle) lane and avoid all the northbound traffic. In Houston they allow motorcycles on the H.O.V.

Haven't checked back in a couple of days the new guys are working
me 12 hr shifts since they bought us. Did I mention that they put me
on salary plus comission. Possibly a 30% cut in pay by next January.
By the way it's Oreilly Auto parts that bought us.
What the hell some day we'll all be dead and no one will care. :eusa_dance:
Chris

Sounds like my boss. He pulls made-up rules outta his ass all the time. I just ignore the stupid fucker.

it's the american way...look at our politicians...we were trying to put a guy in charge of the IRS who "forgot" to pay taxes.:rofl_200::ummm:

We have a few guys that ride there motorcycles in to work during the warm summer months. No problems.. I did get spoken to after one morning leaving I did a burn out alll the way down the road after leaving the parking lot. They said it wasnt very professinal so I asked "What it wasnt long enough, not enough smoke:confused2:
When I ride Ol Fortune Cookie I usually catch hell and get laughed at but hey.. its all good!

I guess I'm lucky - I run the only Verizon Garage in Pasco County & I turned the awning next to my garage into "motorcycle only" parking 4 years ago when I took over. Nobody can say anything about it but me. On good days we have up to 8 bikes parked outside - Harleys, sport bikes, BMW's - whatever. Lately nothing because it's too cold ( yes 35 is too cold to ride in FL ). I'll post pics in the "spring" when it's 70's - next month...

Beautiful!! :clapping::clapping::clapping:

We have a few guys that ride there motorcycles in to work during the warm summer months. No problems.. I did get spoken to after one morning leaving I did a burn out alll the way down the road after leaving the parking lot. They said it wasnt very professinal so I asked "What it wasnt long enough, not enough smoke:confused2:
When I ride Ol Fortune Cookie I usually catch hell and get laughed at but hey.. its all good!

I own the place.
Everyone except my secretary rides.

I consider it a gift. If an estimate comes up in Hot Springs or Mountain View, I have riders/workers begging to go there on their weekend off. The gas card is theirs for the trip, and they get to ride for free. They love it. It saves me gas in the work trucks, and I get to check jobs every once in a while myself.

I can understand suits not being "professional" on a bike, but we're construction workers. A tape measure and a happy employee can save me lots of gas money.:punk:

I consider it a gift. If an estimate comes up in Hot Springs or Mountain View, I have riders/workers begging to go there on their weekend off. The gas card is theirs for the trip, and they get to ride for free. They love it. It saves me gas in the work trucks, and I get to check jobs every once in a while myself.

Are you hiring? :biglaugh::rofl_200:

Nope.
Not right now. No one wants a new garage door right now, they just want their shit fixed as cheap as possible.

I am a strange boss though.
We all carry (except my secretary) and I don't care if they drink a couple of beers while welding shit up in the shop.
As long as my employees are happy, they're not leaving. They couldn't do this crap with another door company, and they know it.

Latest posts

Back