muscle jet stumble

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
man i wouldn't go too much higher than what u have. esp if making the needle richer was worsening the problem.
it was making it worse with stage 1 needles swapped them for stock and now running sweet until top end realy lean.im guessing stock needles are much tamer.anyway put 162.5s mains in and still seems lean wont pull hard past 7500 rpm and pops and farts when your realy leaning on it w.o.t.am i missing somthing?

it was making it worse with stage 1 needles swapped them for stock and now running sweet until top end realy lean.im guessing stock needles are much tamer.anyway put 162.5s mains in and still seems lean wont pull hard past 7500 rpm and pops and farts when your realy leaning on it w.o.t.am i missing somthing?

Are you sure it is lean and not going too rich? When I had the EFI on mine I fell into that trap. I was sure it was running lean until I had it on a dyno with a A/F gauge and she was real rich.

Are you sure it is lean and not going too rich? When I had the EFI on mine I fell into that trap. I was sure it was running lean until I had it on a dyno with a A/F gauge and she was real rich.
could be rich. the off idle stumble was a rich condition and i could of swore it was lean.i just shimmed the needles but did'nt test ride yet wil test tomorrow and if no good ill go leaner mains 152.5 and see cheers

i agree it 'sounds' lean but 162.5 is getting up near the top of what you should need. can't hurt try leaning it out incase it is actually rich.

one thing, before u pull 'em out again. run the bike in the problem range for as long as u can and do a plug test. that should be the deciding factor eh?

well i went up from 155s because of needle change thought was lean but 162.5s seem worse. so if i go the other way we'll see. problem range about 100 mph 4th gear so cant sustain for too long around here cops everywhere.but will try.whats a good colour .

speed and gear shouldn't play too much of a roll. its all about RPMs and throttle position. 1st gear @ 8k rpms and 4th gear at 8k rpms with the same throttle opening should yield very very similar carb circuitry. (i am 90% sure on this at least).

speed and gear shouldn't play too much of a roll. its all about RPMs and throttle position. 1st gear @ 8k rpms and 4th gear at 8k rpms with the same throttle opening should yield very very similar carb circuitry. (i am 90% sure on this at least).
i don't know about that engine load is the defining factor i would think if what you say were correct a dyno would be unnecessary.an engine free reving to 8000rpm dos'nt need to make much hp same engine at 8000rpm that has to push 700lb at 100mph needs to make shit load of hp.in order to make more hp it needs to burn more fuel.if it dos'nt get enough fuel or gets to much fuel it carries on like a pork chop.just my thoughts i have them occasionally usually wrong though.

thats why i said i think. i'll let experts (un)correct me if applicable!

thats why i said i think. i'll let experts (un)correct me if applicable!
no trying to correct you thats why i said i (think) also.but i (think) you would agree that engine will rev throught to red line and beyond in 1st gear at relativly small throttle openings as compared to 5th gear.

ok its fixed raising the stock needle .0020" was the charm runs sweet through all throttle openings no stumble no bog noth'n.I'll have to get on a dyno to see exactly where its at but the trouble that dogged it appears fixed. final setup for anyone interested.drilled slides 162.5 mikuni main stock needles raised .0020" 170 mik PAJ2 mixture screws 2-21/2 turns out.big thanks to all who took the time to help.although I (THINK) gamorg02 is a little sensitive.cheers

haha glad to hear ya got it worked out man! no sensitivity here, just making sure u don't blindly take my advice!

Sounds good. It can sometimes take a little effort but the performance you gain is usually worth it. Get some numbers and even fuel range MPG when you can too.

Sean

162.5 mains are not too big with stock needles. especially if you're at sea level. But....every bike is different. I run 170's at 800 ft. Anything less and it stumbles badly at 6500rpm+

Dale #2592

Latest posts

Back