My jet kit install update

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another update,

I just spoke to the mechanic and he is still at a loss, he said it doesn't make sense why my VMAX is acting the way it is. He removed the carbs and cleaned them and tried again and it isn't working as it should.

He told me that he feels it's the stock needle, he says if he had needles that were adjusable that MIGHT be the fix. I told him that Sean would send hiim whatever he needed and he said I knew because Sean told him the same thing. He wants to try and see if the needles are available locally so he can get them faster.

This guys sounds like he knows what he is doing and both Sean and him are at a loss on what is causing my bike to act this way.

I have verified with him and 122 with the UFO pipes was a true dyno reading before he started..... He just called back and the needles are not available locally so I suggested he call Sean who offered to send him the needles. ( Sean I told him to tell you if you will overnight the needles I'll pay the shipping cost )

So hopefully with the needles that will fix my bike. If Sean can't overnight them my bike will be in the shop all next week :confused2:

Ron

I don't believe the needles are gonna cure a WOT problem. Your not in the needles anyway, just the main jet and to a much lesser extent the pilot.

Hey Ron, sorry to hear about your problems.

I just installed Sean's kit on Sunday night. Fired it up and synch on Monday. Didn't get to test ride until Tuesday. I have no dyno to show anything but my butt-o-meter told me it's got some more power.

Anyways, not sure if it helps but here is my setup for reference.

06 with 4K miles. Motor stock, Marks 4-2 exhaust, Elevation 1200'
160 mains, stock springs, stock needles without shims, slides not drilled yet.

Bike is running good but I am lean in the midrange with my setup. Haven't had a chance to do it but looking to shim the needles tonight. Hopefully it will clear up my 4-6500 rpm stumble.

Thanks for the kind thoughts, it is a pain in the butt. At least so far the mechanic is being a honest guy and admits that if he puts it back to stock and can't get the same results as when he first ran the dyno before doing anything then it has to be something he did in the install, but they still feel they can get this working with the needles that Sean is sending them.

Now about Sean, what a guy!!!! for those of you who know Sean, this might not be a surprise and those who have not been a customer yet, this should make you become one soon !!

Sean sent the needles Overnight that the mechanic thinks he needs, Sean didn't have one needle so he called DynoJet and had them send that other needle Overnight, if that wasn't enough Sean also sent a new set of slides from Yamaha in a box "NEW" about $400 cost.

Now there is no way the dealer can't put the bike back to stock and blame it on Sean's kit. I'm amazed that Sean did this but then again I'm a new customer to him, I can stress how thankful I am to him for all his help.

I called him today and told him to let me know what I owed him for the overnight shipping, he said "don't worry about it, we'll figure it out later"

This guy stands behind his products big time !!

For those of you who had doubt about my 122 HP before they touched my bike with just the UFO pipes on it

first_run.jpg

first_run2.jpg

Ron

Is that your A/F on the baseline run? Never seen an a/f that looked that crazy. Talk about LEAN! All over the place as well.
Your baseline says "UFO pipes, AIR BOX MODS". What mods were done? You sure nothing had been modded on the carbs? Not doubting, but you normally jet the carbs when running about any aftermarket exhaust, and ESPECIALLY when modding the airbox.

Nothing but UFO pipes 4 into 1,stock airbox and carbs, this is why I am adding one of Seans jet kits now

I'm not trying to trash anyone. Just sounds like alot of mechanics out there have alot of problems with the Vmax tune up and installing kits. I don't know anything about Sean's kit. Yes I agree that most mechanis are use to the dynajet kits. But to me it sounds has if there are alot of excuses for not getting it right. :biglaugh:

no one was doubting the dyno run its just on the high side for just having a pipe but all max's are different with there tolerances. was that the riight temp. on that dyno chart 106 degrees.
Chris

It's a fact that not many dealership mechanics see very many VMAX'S. I've owned 7 in my life but kept the last 6 stock so I never really needed the mechanics.

This is the first one I am adding mods to and it shows that the mechanics are not very knowledgable on VMAX'S, I'm learning the hard way this time.

I'm not sure what the 106 is on the dyno sheet, I know for a fact it was only 84 degrees when they did the runs

Did you put eyes on a dyno sheet showing 122 hp w/only an aftermarket exhaust? That seems steep to me, but I don't know much...I just know that getting to 120 with stock internals seems to be a pretty big deal with these bikes (UFO will put your name on their website).

Regardless....as I go down the righteous path of vmax ownership, I'm comforted knowing Sean is but a short 30 min. drive from my house! I'm starting simple, he's doing slip on's and a tune up, but have a feeling there will be more. :eusa_dance:

I was replying to this post... I wasn't trying to rub anyone nose in it I was kinda proud of the 122 HP :eusa_dance:

OK, the 106 was the temperature on the room. Sounds a bit high to me which would give you false readings if the temperature wasn't actually that high. Note the correction factor of 1.10 (which is adding 10% to the actual measurements to correct for sea level).

Humididty is also very high (but added into the correction factor).

Something is definetly not right with the readings to jump all over the board like that. It's already lean everywhere which it should not be. Here's a pic of the dyno runs from last year on my 2005.

Sean

Attachments

• Morley 2005.jpg
    Morley 2005.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 41
I'm thinking the dyno or the dyno operator is out of whack:ummm:

The room temp according to the mechanic is not working right :bang head:

WHAT ELSE ISN'T WORKING RIGHT ????? that's my question...

Is there a smiley for "PISSED OFF" ??? :bang head: :ummm:

I'm going to start a new thread to explain the outcome and other things.

I fixed his carbs.

Sean

Good to hear. I think that you should have EVERYONE send you their carbs. You could make a hell of a business off of it! Market yourself as THE man to go to for Vmax work.

Good to hear. I think that you should have EVERYONE send you their carbs. You could make a hell of a business off of it! Market yourself as THE man to go to for Vmax work.

how's that different from now?

True that.....he's ALREADY the main man for Vmax work. I should have clarified that one.
But EVERYONE doesn't send their carbs in to him right now. Just some people. He shuold even sign a deal with the major exhaust companies to be the first man they mention when it comes to jetting your carbs and whatnot.

True that.....he's ALREADY the main man for Vmax work. I should have clarified that one.
But EVERYONE doesn't send their carbs in to him right now. Just some people. He shuold even sign a deal with the major exhaust companies to be the first man they mention when it comes to jetting your carbs and whatnot.

ah okay i follow. well after paying to have his kit installed, then doing all the work over again myself :bang head:. I would say if your floats are right on, its really not all that difficult. i mean a bit time consuming, but the first time i did the main jets it took me like 6 hours. this time it took me little over an hour from looking at the bike 'til all the tools were away.

it gets tricky when ur bike doesn't want to cooperate with stock needles ( dont' ask how i know)

so in short. yes, i agree, but he's made it so the average person with a bit of knowledge should be able to set it up.

ah okay i follow. well after paying to have his kit installed, then doing all the work over again myself :bang head:. I would say if your floats are right on, its really not all that difficult. i mean a bit time consuming, but the first time i did the main jets it took me like 6 hours. this time it took me little over an hour from looking at the bike 'til all the tools were away.

it gets tricky when ur bike doesn't want to cooperate with stock needles ( dont' ask how i know)

so in short. yes, i agree, but he's made it so the average person with a bit of knowledge should be able to set it up.

I was in the same position as you, and as the O.P.
I took it to a dealership. They told me Sean was an idiot, and they jetted the bike WAY rich and told me that the bike didn't need to be tuned for daily riding, just for sheer straight line drag racing. That was the last time I go to a stealership for anything.
I tried to do it myself, but couldn't get the float drain screws loose, and couldn't get the carbs even popped off of the motor. Otherwise I would have done it myself and it would have been a LOT easier.
It's still a bit out of tune. The low end of the RPMs need to be tuned up a bit, as when I whack it WOT at about 2K or 3K it hesitates. Just haven't had time!

Latest posts

Back