My start up.... sounds like automatic weapon... advice?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, just did that thread, the lil tit thing was not in place or fell out when i was taking it apart. Just put back to together, Its still clicking kinda fast, but not machine gun fast. I checked the pump for rust and such but didn't find any. Maybe the pump is getting old? I let the bike get warm then took off choke. Was at a solid 1000 idle.... Seemed normal to me. But it still is clicking everytime i start the bike. That doesn't bother me i just want to make sure its not gunna hurt the bike...

so if you cycle the key multiple times without starting it the pump keeps clicking or it eventually stops?

It stops after 2 to 3 sec. It completely stops then i start the bike up. run it... then turn the key off. Do start up again then same deal. 2 to 3 sec clicking then it stops. Can't tell if its still clicking when on.

try just turning key on and off but dont start, trying to see if a float is stuck and it keeps pumping and or its loosing prime in the pump that fast(i had that once after long sit over winter, i had to take pump out and fill it and then it was fine) but yours seems to run where mine wouldnt start cause pump is timed to prime unless the bowls are full.

Turned it off and on a few times but was clicking pretty fast everytime. Just went for a ride maybe 10 miles. Going 50 and could start to feel like i was running outta gas. Bike died on me in the middle of the highway. Now the fuel pump is not making any noise(i noticed that the backlighting on the Tach was flickering like it was going through system check...the bike is still turning over but not wanting to start. I think my fuel pump just shitted out on me.

That definitely sucks. I hear Sean can get you a good rate on parts. How did you get her home? Stranded very long?

How is your fuel filter? Checked it recently too?

Double check all your electrical connections too. I don't think your backlighting should be flickering like that. Maybe there's a bad electrical connection some place?

Just in case, check the horseshoe fuel line on top that goes to the filter.
I had the same problem, was a lot of pumping but ran ok, any very fast acceleration, and cruisin on the highway over 60, started to cut out, and ran out of gas, got stranded on I-95 one day and thought the pump took a shit....or I ran out of gas....got the seat off and the pump was wailing away...with a bit of fiddling found a small cut in the hose...it was sucking air and the pump couldn't keep up at high rpm.

Just got it home. Turned it on and off when i was there and NO clicking at all. Got home and got the fuel pump off and it was pretty full. Busted it open and the same nipple on that link at the beginning was not in place. Popped it back where the tit is in place. now i hear much lighter clicking but now its making noise. They want 225 for a new one.

Replaced the fuel filter about 1000 miles ago. Checked the hoseing and looks good.

Just tested the Fuel pump relay- book says it should be 12V out the red/white and black wire. mine is jumping from 9.50-10.20.

Bought a used fuel pump for 60 shipped to my door. ( IF ANY ONE NEEDS THIS PUMP JUST PM ME)

Just had a little luck... it was running for 5 seconds then died.

Last edited:
The BEAST is back in action. Had to fill the fuel pump all the way with gas. and CAREFULLY put the tubes back together. NO MORE CLICKING!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back