My wife wants her own bike

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I still think Fazers make good girl bikes. Yamaha Radians too.No bottom ends but will go if you wind them up into the R's.

I still think Fazers make good girl bikes. Yamaha Radians too.No bottom ends but will go if you wind them up into the R's.

Here is a couple.

Attachments

• radian.jpg
    radian.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 13
  • radian2.jpg
    radian2.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 14
  • fazer.jpg
    fazer.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 19
I'd get her the virago, its a low slung easy to hold up bike that has real good manners.

It isn't snappy enough to get out from under her, but it still will cruise 60 easy. I can't say so much for the 250's.. Definately take one of those out on the hiway before you buy one. They are VERY easy to outgrow.

The small v-twins are great starter bikes, they have a low center of gravity, makes them easy to ride and slower to fall. With a set of crash bars they don't show the marks of being dropped.

So my wife has never ridden a motorcycle before, and has expressed interested in doing so. Since the only bike I have is the Max, I told her to go take the Motorcycle course at the local Comm College as I hear it's great and get her license that way. I was looking for a beginer bike for her, and haven't ran across anything great other than two bikes.

1st she said she wanted a crotch rocket. I told her the only rocket she would get would be a Ninja 250, but then thought about it. I had forgot about the Buell Blasts! I've found a few for right around 2G's that I think would be a good bike.

I also found a 93 Yammy Virago 535 Twin that seems to be nice for $1800.00

What are your thoughts fellas? Any other suggestions of bikes I should look for?

My wife learned on my old Honda CB-1. Honda's 400cc in-line 4 answer to the Suzuki Bandit 400(also a great choice). Made in 1989 and 1990 only, these little things are a blast and super easy to ride. Contrary to your's, my wife hates sport bikes. Because of that shortly after she had mastered that I reluctantly sold it and bought her a Shadow VLX 600. She loved it. Also very easy to ride and comfy. If you can find a CB-1 you won't be sorry and she'll have a little screamer when she wants it to.

Check it out (Not my old one).

Attachments

• cb1 restaurada.jpg
    cb1 restaurada.jpg
    161.2 KB · Views: 15
It really PAINS me to say this....

I agree with Chris 100%...lol

The SV is a perfect bike for this purpose and will continue to teach you while you are grinning ear to ear.

I wouldn't give you 500.00 bucks for any Katana.... Worthless! outdated when new.

Some of the midrange cruisers would be a good choice as well. I am a fan of Buell but she would outgrow the blast way to quick and I don't think they were all that great a bike to begin with. HD uses them for trainers because they have NOTHING else.

Just my 2 cents

Frank

I'll jump in with the SV voters. That was my wifes first bike, sv650s 2003', she loved it except for the sv650s comes with clip-ons and she eventually got tired of the bent over position. The regular sv650, that I tried to get her to buy, would have been alot more comfortable and she may have still had a bike like that.

When she got the 650 I was scared for her cause that thing looked fast as hell, but she was careful and never had a problem learning on it. It was a shitload of fun for me to ride too.

Attachments

• SV650s 001 (Medium).jpg
    SV650s 001 (Medium).jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 10
My Mrs. is very good at riding dirt bikes, and scooters. She could beat the crap out of my old CR 500, if I would catch her when she came to a stop, keeping her from falling over. She is a great street passenger, and has more than enough common sense when it comes to looking out for cager idiots.

However, she now has started to ask if she can ride my current Max by herself when the new one arrives :ummm:

I simply told her, "Once you conquer the WEE-MAX, I will consider letting you learn to ride the big boys".

:biglaugh:

Neil

Attachments

• wee-max_01.jpg
    wee-max_01.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 9
  • wee-max_02.jpg
    wee-max_02.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 15
My Mrs. is very good at riding dirt bikes, and scooters. She could beat the crap out of my old CR 500, if I would catch her when she came to a stop, keeping her from falling over. She is a great street passenger, and has more than enough common sense when it comes to looking out for cager idiots.

However, she now has started to ask if she can ride my current Max by herself when the new one arrives :ummm:

I simply told her, "Once you conquer the WEE-MAX, I will consider letting you learn to ride the big boys".

:biglaugh:

Neil
Now that is funny! I'm guessing that if she can handle a CR500 ,she could handle a vmax.

Thanks for all the replies fellas.

A friend of mine is trying to sell his '87 Fazer and not having any luck. I think he's asking a bit much, but I also know what he paid for it, and I would pay that for it. Samantha (my wife) on the other hand is wishy washy if she likes the bike.

I'm also trying to be on "the cheap" as I don't want to shell out money, then she doesn't want to ride, or can't find time to ride etc since we have a 6month old son. That part of me wants me to get her a bike that would be fun for ME too haha.

Again, thanks for all the help fellas.

Nathan, I'm going to start looking for a CB-1 too!

I HAVE A 2006 V-MAX FOR SALE WITH ONLY 2900 MILES ON IT, LIKE NEW ! NEEDS CARB WORK ! " CHEAP " "LOL"

LOL.. I like how you tried to sneak a picture of your Fazer drag bike in as a good "girls bike". :biglaugh:

It is actually my wifes bike, with my name on the title!LOL!Like 1/4 Hp said,it's better to have your wifes bike be one that a little fun to ride.I also have another complete fazer and a fzr750 motor as spares.I could still put that fazer together later with maybe an FZR1000 engine in it.I decided though that its time to do the H2.Laurens Race Engine full blown stage 3 with reed cages , 38mm carbs and FBG drag stingers.FZR 600 forks,swingarm 12" over,brakes ,wheels and radials.

I'm just learning from the best how to post a thousand pics of my bikes!LOL!

Years ago when I was married, my wife decided she wanted a bike. She took the MSF Class and did fine. (Don't think they get out of the parking lot). I bought her a new Yamaha 650 Maxim. I broke it in for her (about 600 miles). She must have put 100 miles on it before deciding it scared her too much. She did fine in a straight line but never got used to leaning in corners. She had to slow down where there was virtually no lean when she came to a corner. I sold it for a major loss with less than 1000 miles on it. She still liked being a passenger though. Start cheap till you know if she really likes riding.

Years ago when I was married, my wife decided she wanted a bike. She took the MSF Class and did fine. (Don't think they get out of the parking lot). I bought her a new Yamaha 650 Maxim. I broke it in for her (about 600 miles). She must have put 100 miles on it before deciding it scared her too much. She did fine in a straight line but never got used to leaning in corners. She had to slow down where there was virtually no lean when she came to a corner. I sold it for a major loss with less than 1000 miles on it. She still liked being a passenger though. Start cheap till you know if she really likes riding.

I know a woman like that, and she accutally had a V-Max once upon a time. When I tryed to talk about the famous wobble that accurs from time to time when you riding a max. She did not know what I was talking about. She had never pushed it that far. (that far that really aint THAT far)
She sold her Max but not becous it was sceary in any way, she thougt it to be nice and gently, but becouse she wanted to get something less expensive. And she still drives and are enjoying it. But its not fun to ride with her, cars keep on overtaking us. That NEVER happen when I drive myself.

On the other hand, I know another women who outruns most men on her bike. And that beeing a Harley Sportster (with half the footpegs scraped off).
On a really curvy road I dont keep up with her - nomatter what Im driving.

I would never buy a Yamaha I have only had problems from Yamahas way back to my first Yamaha DT100 through a Yamaha Chappy till my current VMAX Yamahas suck The only reason I own a VMAX is its in a class of its own and love it for its style and sound thats all
Cruisers are great for someone that is short 5'5 and under due to the low seat cruisers dont handle very well or are the brakes as good as a sport bike which is important to a new rider incase they get into a situation
As Sean I say the Suzuki SV650 is an awesome bike and best off all you have that suzuki relaibilty

I would never buy a Yamaha I have only had problems from Yamahas way back to my first Yamaha DT100 through a Yamaha Chappy till my current VMAX Yamahas suck The only reason I own a VMAX is its in a class of its own and love it for its style and sound thats all
Cruisers are great for someone that is short 5'5 and under due to the low seat cruisers dont handle very well or are the brakes as good as a sport bike which is important to a new rider incase they get into a situation
As Sean I say the Suzuki SV650 is an awesome bike and best off all you have that suzuki relaibilty

I'm used to be in the school of thought from the 70's when Honda was premier in quality and Suzuki was the Dodge of motorcycles....

Just my opinion but to me they are all pretty much excellent quality nowadays.....You practically never hear of "failures"...Just design qualities that we may or may not like based on our preferences...hell..even H-D falls inot that category now..primitive as hell but finally relaible....

It sounds like the big Ford - Chevy battle.I will never own another Ford.Nothing but trouble.Ford owners will tell you the same thing about Chevys.

It sounds like the big Ford - Chevy battle.I will never own another Ford.Nothing but trouble.Ford owners will tell you the same thing about Chevys.

My last Corvette[a 2000 C5] had 230.000 miles on it when I sold it, never replaced anything on it except brakes tires......changed the oil every 3000 with mobile 1 it even had the original serpentine belt. Ive had similar experiences with other Chevy's, Chryslers down right suck!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ive never owned a ford for very long.

Back