Neck brace anyone?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Constantinos

Reaction score
Hey guys. I have come across a problem riding my Vmax and I thought I would ask you guys if you could help me out.

4 months ago took a 100 mile ride (going about 70 miles per hour average speed). It was the first trip on my Vmax out of town. As I was used to motorcycles with a more aggressive riding posture like the R1, I found the Vmax to be a comfortable ride but the wind resistance exerted a huge strain on my neck. The result?

3 weeks of headaches and neck muscle strains...(I think I should be hitting the gym). I have a riders jacket with all the relevant protective spots but I don't have anything to ease the strain on my neck when riding on the highway (I do have a problem in the sense that the muscles on my upper back get strained very easily).

I looked at several neck braces but it seems that the only thing they do is to keep you relatively safer in the event of an accident.

My question to you: Is there something that can solve my problem? I really did not buy the bike to be stranded only in intown riding.

1)Annual gym membership?

2)Drag bars to lower your posture while riding it?

3)Lighter, more aerodynamic helmet?

4)Wind screen?

5)Draft a big 18 wheeler as often as possible?

6)Tylenol before, during and immediately after each ride?

I've not got a whole lot of neck to get sore (perhaps partially due to #1 in the past), but when it does, I've used #6 often in the past, and continue using it to this day. I've also been known to use #5 a time or two many years ago in my youth, but some of those drivers can get really pissy if they see you following too closely.

+1 to wind protection. It's amazing how much just a fly screen helps deflect the wind. A taller windshield even more so. I don't care for the look, but sometimes I have to turn the Mistress
into a touring machine.
Steve-o

I had the same issue with my max, as I have a bad disk in my neck.

A very light beanie helmet and tall windshield and I can ride all day with little to no issue.

Mike

a flyscreen may make it worse too as the wind hits me now instead of evenly across chest/head just in the top of my head.

^ +1--My factory windscreen roils the air right in front of my helmet, and makes it impossible to breathe at highway speed without a helmet on. :damn angry:

I'd bet a different helmet would help a lot. I'm guessing your using the same helmet you had for your R1? The challenge is finding a place that will let you buy one and return it if it doesnt cut it. You simply can't tell what a helmet is going to do until you get out on the road with it and get up some speed.

When I got my VMax I bought a rather basic Scorpion helmet. An EXO 400 Nothing fancy, but it worked fine. Then I came across a Speed and Strength SS1000. I looked at a few reviews and the SS1000 got some good scores. So I bought it because it was a much more comfortable fit to my head shape than the Scorpion.

But when I got to highway speeds that SS1000 helmet had my head moving all over the place in comparison to that Scorpion. Result was a sore neck after about an hour of riding.

So helmet aerodynamics can definitely make a difference to that neck strain. And some helmets are designed and perform well for a 3/4 tuck racing position like a R1, but dont do as well in an upright position.

Love my memphis shades windshield. Zero strain on head and neck, and one of the better looking shields IMO.

Hey guys. I have come across a problem riding my Vmax and I thought I would ask you guys if you could help me out.

4 months ago took a 100 mile ride (going about 70 miles per hour average speed). It was the first trip on my Vmax out of town. As I was used to motorcycles with a more aggressive riding posture like the R1, I found the Vmax to be a comfortable ride but the wind resistance exerted a huge strain on my neck. The result?

3 weeks of headaches and neck muscle strains...(I think I should be hitting the gym). I have a riders jacket with all the relevant protective spots but I don't have anything to ease the strain on my neck when riding on the highway (I do have a problem in the sense that the muscles on my upper back get strained very easily).

I looked at several neck braces but it seems that the only thing they do is to keep you relatively safer in the event of an accident.

My question to you: Is there something that can solve my problem? I really did not buy the bike to be stranded only in intown riding.

I've got the same issue, I had a severe whiplash injury 25 years ago and I'm paying for it now. Early in the season is the worst, gets not so bad as the season goes on.

A good friend of mine also has some neck problems and the Orthopedist recommended a collar which he says helps a lot. It's just a horseshoe shaped thick light weight collar that he wears when riding. It supports your head and prevents it from being pushed backwards allowing the muscles to relax. I can see myself getting one sooner or later.

The collar might be a slick way to go. The light helmet for sure if an option (can't remember what all brands we sell but nearly all brands are available through us). I do like the flyscreen though it can put the wind right at the wrong height. A lowered seat can help with some of that too.

My fly screen sent the wind straight into my visor area and it slapped my head around like a Mexican boxer. I'm 6' 1" so lowering the seat height would not have been a comfortable option since I would be to cramped. I opted to try a new helmet, a Shoei M2010 and it's a hell of an improvement. Yanked and sold the screen to a member here and never looked back.

Chris.

Six feet guys...i will say that collar idea sounds nice. For some a more lightweight helmet might do the trick. I tried a couple but still had problems. I just need support for the back of my neck.

I favor Jim's #4 option....a windscreen, specifically the Memphis Shades Classic Deuce. Work great, no wind on chest or helmet and look pretty good too.

Last year I got a MRA scheild and altho I haven't had a lot of time behind it, it appears to work very well.

Attachments

• 100_3349.jpg
    100_3349.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 33
I've got the same issue, I had a severe whiplash injury 25 years ago and I'm paying for it now. Early in the season is the worst, gets not so bad as the season goes on.

A good friend of mine also has some neck problems and the Orthopedist recommended a collar which he says helps a lot. It's just a horseshoe shaped thick light weight collar that he wears when riding. It supports your head and prevents it from being pushed backwards allowing the muscles to relax. I can see myself getting one sooner or later.

My friend is vacationing so I haven't asked him......but what he wears looks like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Racewear-Ne...arting-Neckbrace-Helmet-Support-/200906661132

I'd think a taller windshield and lighter helmet would probably do the trick. webbikeworld gives in depth reviews of most popular helmets, rating them on aerodynamics, weight, noise, ect.

You wouldn't think that a few ounces would make that much of a difference, but over the course of bobbing around all day, it does. I never noticed that my neck hurt or was tired after a long day of riding, but after getting a newer (and much lighter) helmet, neck strain at high speed was reduced, and I definitely didn't feel as "worn out" at the end of the day.

Back