Need advice on drain plug issue...

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ptnov

Reaction score
Hi,

I was just about to change oil in my vmax and i tought that I'd buy one of those magnetic drain plugs. The problem is that the old drain plug is longer than the new magnetic one that the dealers gave me. The magnetic drain plug still fits though, should this matter at all?

I read somewhere that the short drain plugs are for transmission and the long ones are for oil.... Is this through and does it matter?

Also when i unscrewed the old drain plug i managed to destroy some of the threads in the oil drainage, do I need to go to an autoshop to get this checked?

Thank you!

PS! I did post another thread with same text, but wrong thread title, how do i remove that thread? thanks!

Metal particles fall to the bottom of the pan, the magnet catches them, I can't believe the location of the magnet makes a bit of difference.

As for the threads usually you can chase them with the drain plug to clean 'em up, take your time, make sure the drain plug starts straight and it should work out fine.

Washer direction doesn't matter.

Unless the bolt is like 3" long the overall length will not hurt anything.

ok thanks! but I noticed i managed to crack the oil pan somehow :( , i saw that an oil pan isn't that expensive on ebay, is this thing hard so replace? do I also need to change the gasket?

Sean do you possibly have an oil pan?

Yes, new gasket required as the old one will probly come off in pieces...actually the hardest part is cleaning up the mating surfaces imo.

Might as well check oring on the pick-up tube and replace if needed while in there.....

Ok thanks!

The pick-up tube is that the tube that connects with the oil filter?

Is there any other precautions i should know about, so I don't mess up something in there.

Here is a pic of the O-ring after you remove the bottom pan, this one has blown out........

Attachments

• 100_0872_op_800x600_op_313x234.jpg
    100_0872_op_800x600_op_313x234.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 13
Normally the drain plug for engine oil is not magnetized but the one for the rear drive is. Maybe they did both the first year or two? I have had a 95 and a 97 and neither has the magnet on the oil drain plug. Both did have the rear drive one though. Be advised the ones on eBay that have the rubber/plastic washer need the washer replaced with the crushable OEM one. Have no idea why they use that type washer. It breaks into pieces as soon as you tighten the plug.

When you have the pan off, it would be a good idea to address the o-ring problem. Do a search for info on that. I replaced the assembly with the latest one that forces the o-ring farther into the assembly. I posted pics in an old thread showing the difference. There are several other methods of addressing the problem. Even if yours is not popped out, it would be wise to do preventative maintenance. You will have to remove/lower the exhaust headers to remove the pan which is the biggest pain in the process. Especially if you have the stock exhaust system.

Normally the drain plug for engine oil is not magnetized but the one for the rear drive is. Maybe they did both the first year or two? I have had a 95 and a 97 and neither has the magnet on the oil drain plug. Both did have the rear drive one though. Be advised the ones on eBay that have the rubber/plastic washer need the washer replaced with the crushable OEM one. Have no idea why they use that type washer. It breaks into pieces as soon as you tighten the plug.

+1 My '99 only had a magnet on the final drive....just ordered an OEM final drive plug and used it in the oil pan.

I got my magnetic oil plug at a Ducati/BMW/Kawa dealer. The plug was 5mm (1/5inch) shorter then OEM plug...

I talked to Sean about the cracked oil pan. He suggested using JB weld to seal it. Did it today and hope it works so I don't have remove the pan yet. I'd rather do it sometime during summer :)

Back