Need new battery

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

radley

Reaction score
Where can I get the best battery as well as cheapest? Yuasa? Nothing fancy.

Get an AGM sealed battery, at least. I really like the Shorie battery I have. After sitting for two months my ride fired right up, no trickle charger connected. Odyssey batteries are popular too. I never though highly of Yuasa's.

I thought I needed to upgrade my starter because of my old battery. After inheriting that one and using it for 3 years I bought an odyssey I couldn't be happier. Starts like a normal bike now haha, even when hot.

You will pay more of the odyssey (PC680).......but you get what you pay for. I have them in 2 bikes.

You will pay more of the odyssey (PC680).......but you get what you pay for. I have them in 2 bikes.

ok, looking into the odyssey. what do i need to find for terminal connections? right now on the max it's just the normal connectins that a bolt goes through.

Look up the Gold Wing battery mod. It's simple, costs nothing to do, and you wind up with a much larger battery. Get an AGM Wing battery, you'll be smiling.

ok, looking into the odyssey. what do i need to find for terminal connections? right now on the max it's just the normal connectins that a bolt goes through.

If you buy the correct battery, the OEM connections bolt right up.

I agree that the odyssey PC680 is a good option for the max. Ive had it longer than a Yuasa and Napa battery combined.

YEAH I think I'm gonna go with one of those Odyssey. 2 yr warranty too if not mistaken. When i try to get my worthless piece of crap 1985 running again, the last thing i wanna hear from all ya'll is that the battery sounds weak, is torched, etc.

The cheapie i bought 2 yrs ago, just shy now, won't hold a charge for nothing. stay away from the 40 dollar, free shipping universal batteries.

SEARCHED for the bigger battery mod. can't find it typing in gold wing battery mod . just some threads where others have done it.

Better yet, go to the electrical section, find the sticky for VMax battery replacement 101. Read down the posts. Sean has some good pictures. This is a simple mod, and like the posters said, the bigger battery is actually cheaper than the OEM sized battery.

A number of us have done this mod, and everyone is happy with the results.

Better yet, go to the electrical section, find the sticky for VMax battery replacement 101. Read down the posts. Sean has some good pictures. This is a simple mod, and like the posters said, the bigger battery is actually cheaper than the OEM sized battery.

A number of us have done this mod, and everyone is happy with the results.

Ok, did the research, sounds like I'll be doing the cutting away. Seems like the increase in cca is the way to go and Yamaha shoulda done this a long time ago.

One question though, for those of you who did this and aren't using a more expensive battery like the Odyssey Pc680, do you end up replacing your battery after 2-3 yrs anways? cuz these Odysseys last several years, it would be worth investing in that versus buying a new Sears $60 battery every other year....thoughts?

Does Odyssey make a battery that fits into Sean's battery box mod? If so, then maybe we talkin somptin real sweet...

When I did the mod, I bought an inexpensive flooded (not AGM) battery. It lasted a good 5 years. Only reason I replaced it was my friend sold me a year old Interstate AGM battery from his Triumph Rocket 3... Sure does crank well now! I've got a high output stator, hard wired to a Shindengen SH775 Series voltage regulator. The regulator output goes straight to battery through a fuse. It cranks great, and charges 14.4 volts just off idle. The early Maxes used an inferior design for the regulator. The connector out of the stator can corrode, causing problems. The original fix was to upgrade to a MOSFET type regulator, but the newer Series type units work even better, and keep the stator from eventually frying. I've gone through 2 stators over the life of the bike, and now that I'm using a Series regulator, I figure I'll never need another one.

I'm aware you've been a member for a while, I figured you know about the newer types of regulators. I posted the info for any newbies here with the earlier year bikes. Never hurts to get the info out to people who wouldn't know about these things. I had a lousy charging system for over 25 years before I even heard of upgraded voltage regulators.

The Odyssey battery currently in my bike is over 10 years old and the one before that was about the same age when I sold the bike it was in. Still going strong.

The odyssey drops in and you bolt it in same as the factory battery. Do not get 680MJ. The MJ stands for metal jacket which is a protective metal cover around the battery.

I now use a Shorai battery and love the 12 pounds it shaved from my bikes weight. On my 03 I used a Panasonic LCX1220p, the first one lasted over 6 years. The battery costs less than $50.00 so i bought another one. See if this link works.http://www.apexbattery.com/panasonic-lc-x1220p-battery-sealed-lead-acid-batteries-panasonic-batteries.html
For me, the Shorai is the only answer from now on. Have you ever ridden a Max that weighs 565 pounds? It's pretty amazing!

That Shorie battery is the only way for me Barry. I'm wondering what my 89 weighs? I shed the center stand, have Marks exhaust, of course the battery weight, my 17" wheels are lighter, and the OEM coils are gone. I'd think I'm well down near 550 lbs.
Ride safe,
Steve

I'm aware you've been a member for a while, I figured you know about the newer types of regulators. I posted the info for any newbies here with the earlier year bikes. Never hurts to get the info out to people who wouldn't know about these things. I had a lousy charging system for over 25 years before I even heard of upgraded voltage regulators.

I appreciate your kind words Bill, and I wish they were true. I know nothing about the electrical systems of this bike. I'm barely getting to know it at all. I changed all fluids last year for the first time ever. I've rebuilt the carbs twice, much better the second time. I switched out and replaced the fuel pump last year. I replaced the battery with a crappy one 2 years ago and it's shot. My bike needs some serious improvements if I plan on keeping it, and it is pretty worthless esp. with 2nd gear out. It's completely stock except for Supertrapp slip-ons. I had all the parts needed to replace front suspension with Progressive springs. The seat is torn and needs replacing anyways, probably a Corbin cuz we all know the stock seats sucks.

Last I know, from this past fall, the bike wouldn't run unless choke was fully engaged. It wouldn't idle with no choke. When I'd crank the throttle, it'd die out. This all with newly rebuilt carbs, lots of new parts and confidence I set floats right, etc. Last i left off in another thread, I had to check bowl levels as per manual. Winter came and I shelved the bike. Now it's warming up quick and I want my ride back. I have the tools, patience and willingness to learn and do things myself.

So, sorry for the tangent everyone but I am TOTALLY open to this regulator upgrading and etc etc. and learning. Assume I don't know sh*t! haha, let's get my bike ready to haul ass this year.

So in summary, is there a write-up to make the upgrades you did with parts and etc? It's early enough. You guys know this bike, I don't, even though I've had it for 17 years. Is this electrical stuff, also getting COPS or wahtever they are? I remember BM told me plenty of times to get rid of the stock coils...

Back