neutral?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tbutera2112

Reaction score
tonight i went for a spirited ride, and i was riding wide open and clutchless shifting at redline into the next gear...hit second right on the money, went to hit third and the bike just went into neutral...i think it was third...i coulda been going 3-4 i dont remember....but it went into neutral

so i kicked it up again to get it into gear, expecting it to be in 3rd or 4th, but i guess it went to second....the back end started sliding back and forth real violently for a split second until i got the clutch back in and corrected....from there i pulled over, gathered myself for a second, and continued on my ride...this is the second time ive had an issue with going into neutral while slamming gears like that

do you think its rider error due to me maybe not hitting my shifts hard enough without the clutch or do you think its an issue with the bike?

i searched and found this
http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=148&highlight=gear+selector+segment

but im not really sure what im looking at in that thread or if thats even my problem....all i know is, i was doing about 80 and almost got put on my ass and it sucked....

Check and adjust the shifter to get a more positive shift but in the long run there is a bit of wear in the trans which will eventually need some attention. That could still be a long way off so don't jump the gun yet.

Sean

would it be better on the bike if i stop shifting it like that and start using the clutch again? or is it just inevitable?

When you are shifting on red line it sure is a blast!!But in that situation you are bound to mis-shift it just happens,I use my clutch in every gear and always kick my buddies asses when you're redline shifting you gotta be right on the money.I'm to busy holding on for dear life to be looking at the RPM guage!!!LOL!!!ride safe and have fun man!!!

Using the clutch (at least partially) will help prolong the trans life. These aren't the smoothest transmissions to begin with and false neutrals are common.

Sean

yea i dont look at the gauge, i can tell by the sound...ill start using the clutch again to help it along, thanks guys

This is when shift lights come in handy. You can run to redline and not have to look down at the tach. You can keep your eyes on the road and still hit your proper shift point.

If you are all about the speed shifting you might also consider an air shifter. No clutch, has an ignition cutout, and push button actuated (mine uses the horn button which is "switchable" between horn or shifter). Just a thought:biglaugh:

even on casual riding? does the clutch still work? like can you pull it and go into neutral if youre in a drive through or something?

guess i dont understand how the air shifter works

Back