New B-King

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Congrats on a great deal. Good luck with it. From what I've seen that's one mean machine.
Yamaha needs to know The Gen 2 is not the only answer for the Yamy faithful. And, they (Yamaha) dropped the ball with the over pricing and exhaust look. Just my 2 cents.
Steve-o

Last edited:
I gotta say, I highly suspect my next bike will not be a Yamaha. In fact, my herd of Yamahas has thinned out....my Blaster is gone, and now my Warrior sled is gone too...Max is the only one left.

And the thing is I like Yamahas....I still think they build some of the best, more durable engines out there, and build quality (fit, finish, ect) is top notch on new machines. Especially snowmobiles. Problem is, Yamaha doesn't make a current motorcycle I would want to own. Crotch rockets aren't my thing. Neither are big cruisers. So I've got the FZ line....the FZ6 is weak sauce, the FZ1 is too uncomfortable and incredibly dated, with a motor that's just so-so. The all-new FZ8 was a step in the right direction, a modern sport/naked with a reasonable pricetag....seem them many places for under $8k brand new. They're pretty fast, much better than the 6 and IMO on-par with the dated FZ1. But the Z1000 just did everything the FZ8 did, and did it better. More comfortable. Better handling. More power everywhere. Cooler exhaust sound(and that intake howl....w00t!). Overall it just felt easier to handle, I hopped on and felt "at home" almost instantly, where the FZ8 still felt kind of like a sportbike.

Sorry Yamaha....you're recent offerings just aren't up to par. Your quads are all dated as hell too....that 700 single(formerly 660) has been going round robin for what, like 10 years now in a market where everyone else is using twins? The sideXside market is moving toward the sport-buggy with the Commander, RZR, and now the Wildcat...the Rhino is still strictly utilitarian, a farm vehicle. Your sleds are finally getting suspensions that don't suck ass, just in time for the price to go through the roof. The "flagship" Warrior in '05 was a tick under $10k, now the flagship Apex is pushing $16k or more.

Unless something else comes out to give the Zed-1 competition, Kawi will get my dollar. Which is a bit of a shame, since that's the bike the gen-2 should have been. A sweet muscle standard without the '80s handling, without carbs, and without bias tires, for right around $10-11k retail. A true successor to the Vmax name, that will live for years and be remembered as fondly as the original. But it won't be. It's too different, it shed the history and memories of the orignal. If that 1198 came back with a few tweaks, some injectors, and a sleek look, everyone would still recognize it as that bike they remember from their youth. Sure, it's evolved, but still what it always was, king of the stoplight.

People see a gen 2 and go "what's that?" or "looks like something from Transformers". Not "hey, is that a vmax? my buddy has one a while ago, told me his insurance company banned him from riding it", or some other nostalgia.

I have only had one person not know what my bike was... An older Harley Lady. If you compare the Gen I and Gen II side by side, you would see many many similarities between the two bikes. Just as some of you guys bad mouth the Gen II (I can only assume you are mad because it is priced out of reach of most people) But come to think of it the Gen I was WAY over priced for what you where getting in the later years as well. I bought a new 98 and paid (If I remember correctly) $10,000 or so for 1985 technology. Don't get me wrong, I always have and always will love the Gen I, but it is in NO comparison of the Gen II in EVERY aspect.... (OK, Maybe price!) But my point is, it seems the only haters on the GEN II are the Gen I owners that want New technology for cheap... The GEN II is the flag ship for Yamaha, never meant to be for the masses. I for one am glad the bike is not cheap.. What you get is still IMO the Vmax heritage in a MUCH more capable package. The bike is not for everyone for sure, but again seems most of the haters are on this forum.....

I hope I'm not being classified as a hater, because I love the new VMAX. I just hate the price, and for what you are getting, it's a legitimate concern. I'm just not going to throw money at a name, when you can buy a much more capable bike in many ways for less money. Sure, it's not a "VMAX", but I can have a VERY nice alternative for half the price, use the left over money and build a nice first gen, or TWO! Maybe I'm just "cheap", but I like to get value for my hard earned money. Yamaha priced that bike out of alot of peoples hands, whether it was intended or not remains to be seen, but I don't think it was smart marketing.

I agree and disagree, You can buy cheaper bikes that go a tad faster, but they DO NOT have the appeal (at least to me) of the Bad ASS Attitude of the Gen II. And for me the performance and the Attitude are what has always made the Vmax both old and new. After riding the Gen II for over a year daily, the Gen I's just feel small and quite frankly dangerous in braking and handling. Again I have owned two Gen I's and they always will have a place in my heart but IMO they.... no, I thank the linage of the Gen I for the Gen II.

ya but thats just what they cost now bro. even the cheapo 6,999 bandit is like 12k now. times are changing. theres a lot of bikes out there that cost more, even a LOT more, that give you a lot less.

on topic - i do like the bking, even considered one. but i just dont think i could punch it at a light and roost for 60 feet with the front wheel off the ground on one :(

It's a naked Hayabusa. I'm pretty sure a 60' roost from a stoplight is not only possible, but probable.

ya but thats just what they cost now bro. even the cheapo 6,999 bandit is like 12k now. times are changing. theres a lot of bikes out there that cost more, even a LOT more, that give you a lot less.

on topic - i do like the bking, even considered one. but i just dont think i could punch it at a light and roost for 60 feet with the front wheel off the ground on one :(

Yes, it will "roast" the tires for 60 feet, go search YouTube, there are videos ALL OVER of this beast, some running directly against a new VMAX. It will do everything a new VMAX will do and more. For 1/3 the price! :biglaugh:

These guys do a pretty good review:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=me_80UoIDkg

"It will do everything a new VMAX will do and more"

Do you listen to the video you posted?
The brakes are better on the Max, The Handling is better on the B-King (I would not doubt that) Ther Max accelerated better than the B-King, The fit and finish is better than the B-King.... Any way....
I am glad you like your bike (B-King) I would like to ride one actually.
On the street I have dominated a B-King twice, Also a Hayabusa as well. Now, In the realm that the Max is king 0-130 mph. After that I would not doubt that both the B-King and most litre sport bikes would come around me. Just have not seen it happen yet.
My bike is not stock as well as neither the B-King nor the Busa I ran.

"It will do everything a new VMAX will do and more"

Do you listen to the video you posted?
The brakes are better on the Max, The Handling is better on the B-King (I would not doubt that) Ther Max accelerated better than the B-King, The fit and finish is better than the B-King.... Any way....
I am glad you like your bike (B-King) I would like to ride one actually.
On the street I have dominated a B-King twice, Also a Hayabusa as well. Now, In the realm that the Max is king 0-130 mph. After that I would not doubt that both the B-King and most litre sport bikes would come around me. Just have not seen it happen yet.
My bike is not stock as well as neither the B-King nor the Busa I ran.

Yea, what I got from the video was that they were pretty evenly matched, in everything except price. One guy favored one, the other guy favored the other. Seemed like a draw to me.

Back