New front end options?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Question. If I go with an R1 front, would it be best to just get the whole front end. Forks, wheel, brakes all together? Like this one on eBay
apu2y2yb.jpg

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

Question. If I go with an R1 front, would it be best to just get the whole front end. Forks, wheel, brakes all together? Like this one on eBay
apu2y2yb.jpg

That's what I did. Make sure the triples you buy have the correct spacing for the fork tubes that way the rotors/calipers line up and you can use the wheel spacers that come with the front end and not have to piss around with customs spacers for anything.

I found a complete front end with wheel, forks, triples, calipers, rotors, master cylinder, brake lines, fender, for a decent price. Then, I picked up a set of custom triples and got a whole new front end cheaper than a COO conversion that uses the OEM wheel and calipers.

Plan on changing the fork springs in the USD's.

And would you say that's about the best front end as far as availability price performance etc

And would you say that's about the best front end as far as availability price performance etc

Performance wise, I don't think you can go wrong with forks off of any modern litre bike. I doubt you would be disappointed with GSXR 1K forks vs. R1 vs Busa....

Price is going to depend on what you can find. I would base my choice off of price. I wanted a set of '08+ GSXR 1000 forks. I've heard they have monobloc radial calipers and better handling than other USD forks but I couldn't find them for an amount I was willing to spend. I ended up with a set of Gen2 busa forks just because the price was right.

My triples came from billet bike bits. They are in the UK. They sell on eBay US. Do a search for vmax thug triple. These are made to allow you to slide the forks down as much as 2" . Plus, you can add extensions (1" or 2") to get the forks closer to stock length.

Setups we're testing currently:
91-93 FZR1000
94-96 YZX750R
02-03 R1
04-07 R1
05 (and whatever years are the same) R6 - This setup is for sure one we can rule out
99-07 Hayabusa
06-10 ZX14

I am also trying to look for other setups that might work too. The later FJR and Concours 1400 are both viable options. A friend had a Suzuki Maruader that had nice long inverteds so might get a set of them to look at as well. There are other Yamaha's like the FZ1, and Super Tenere (though I think there is too much travel in those). I even like the KTM stuff and Buell.

Come on Sean...please tell me your set up is now available. I have R1 brakes and an R1 front end would be nice.

I'll probably end up with a new front end someday but for now I'll make do with Carrozzeria wheels/ radials, aluminum motor mounts, 3" stretched/ braced swingarm. Even this setup is lightyears from where I began from with a completely stock bike in '07.
Thus far, I have paid a hefty penance to the vile furry creature know as the mod monkey and this thread is a further testament to his insidious machinations in store for Redbone.

Patience! I am trying to keep this as simple and as low cost as possible.

Well I have a complete Gen 1 Busa front end! Now time to start shopping for the rest.. Any one have recomendations for triples? Going on an 85 if that makes a difference.

Back