New guy from NC

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duke86max

Reaction score
Names Duke and I'm new to the forum. My story started in 1986 when I went to purchase my first street bike and wanted a VMax but ended up with a Radian cause the salesman said I would never get insured on the Max. Since then I have had many styles and types of bikes.

I have owned and maintained my 1972 FLH for the past 17 years and recently sold my 93 Intruder 1400. Friday I am picking up my new to me 86 VMax blue in color just like I was supposed to have gotten back then except this one has 37,000 on the clock.

I wish I had joined this site before looking for a bike as I was taken in by the numbers (that the older ones had more power) but overall I am happy and am getting what I want. I don't know anything about these bikes but do know bikes so hope to help and be helped.
Later
Duke

Welcome Duke!! Nuttin' wrong with an '86, just as good as the rest of them. You will have lots of fun with it and any questions you have....this is the place to come!

Enjoy your stay!! :punk:

danny

Welcome aboard !

86 was a great year for the VMAX.

The only one better is a 96. :biglaugh:

Just messin - you'll love it. And this is a great place to hang out.:punk:

We were all new here at one time Duke! My story was the dealer sold my purple 85 before I got my cash together so I got the maroon 86 for the princely sum of 4,200 bucks. Finding this site is the next best thing to buying your Max. Hope you don't get the second gear curse. Welcome. Two words of warning....
Mod Monkey

Welcome DUKE,:biglaugh: indeed 86 is fine year!:punk: your cdi will work in my bike:rofl_200:

A warm welcome to you Duke, join the club!

I also have an '86, and it's (midnight) blue with metal flake - gorgeous. It's THE very best year, of course :) Amazingly, mine also came with 37k miles on the clock when I bought it in 2008!

I also wished I'd found this site before purchasing, but to be honest, other than paying a little more than I should have, I've never looked back and have enjoyed Max to the fullest every last minute.

This place here is the best there is for any Vmax lover, fan and rider alike. It simply rocks, and full of the best, friendliest and most helpful people. Beware of the Mod Monkey, it never lets go and your walet suffers, but the bike only ever gets better!

Hope you'll enjoy your '86 like I do mine.

Welcome to VMF. It took me a long time to find this site too. It's a great place and the people here are too. Anything you can imagine has an answer.

Duke,

Welcome to the forum. Ok now that the niceties are out of the way let me introduce myself.

I am THE Mod Monkey. I represent an organization, MMRB, that has dedicated itself to the modification, upgrade, and personalization of your bike. Yep, we are that personal when we say "Your bike" we MEAN it!! I would like to take this opportunity to point out the common mods, with very little Monkey pleasing qualities, that are highly recommended......

1) Stainless steel brake/clutch lines
2) Progressive fork springs
3) seat upgrades (Maxgasser or Morley Muscle)

After that we can talk about further mods....... Oh yeah, btw, if you happen to notice a Monkey or two hanging around it is always best to make them happy, OR we send more:biglaugh:

Just got her home it was 10 hours on the road and it needs a few things one of which is the rear pipes have a leak. Here are some pics hope it works
Later
Duke
vmax3.jpg

vmax2.jpg

vmax1.jpg

Nice looking bike. You'll find out in a hurry that the sissybar is a good thing if you plan on taking the kids for a ride. I got one for just such occasions.
Tim

Very nice , looks tough being tied down , like the beast it truly is. Sometimes I wonder why we mod 'em when they look so good stock ! Then I wake up & cuss the monkey . :clapping:

Attachments

• Vmax1990 ad.jpg
    Vmax1990 ad.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 9
Wow! Nice looking max! But for some reason I expected that you would look older and not so small :ummm: :biglaugh:

Looks excellent for an '86! I'm already jealous of your engine paint, mine's seen better days.

You're gonna love riding it. Just easy on high speed turns, and watch out with going superfast at first, on mine the head bearings were shots and it was downright scary above 115mph. In fact I feel lucky to be alive.

Happy riding, you'll be in love with the vboost in no time at all :)

Back