New max owner questions

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buford977

Reaction score
Hi all. I just bought an 05 with 1400 miles on it. I haven't ridden for at least 15 years and have always wanted on. I had a Fazer in high school and a CBR 600 4 a while but sold them all. Life a son and a divorce later I said fork it and bought one!
My biggest question is any recommendations #1 oil and filter factory or off the shelf? What do you recommend? Like I said its been a while and anything would be appreciated

Thanx
Me

Hi all. I just bought an 05 with 1400 miles on it. I haven't ridden for at least 15 years and have always wanted on. I had a Fazer in high school and a CBR 600 4 a while but sold them all. Life a son and a divorce later I said fork it and bought one!
My biggest question is any recommendations #1 oil and filter factory or off the shelf? What do you recommend? Like I said its been a while and anything would be appreciated

Thanx
Me

I can only tell you what I run....Rotella 15w40 Diesel oil & K&N filters. There are as many recs on oil as there are riders.

Welcome to the forum, good lck with your ride! :punk:

First off, welcome to the forum, you'll find it to be best VMAX knowledge base on the Net.
Second, BWAHAHA. Opening up the oil discussion again. Try this sticky: The OIL thread. All oil related questions here.

pandoras-box1.jpg

Be sure to go to the technical sections and spend countless hours reading up on motors, suspension, brakes, electrical, etc... plenty of what those who don't own a VMax would consider 'time wasters.' To us, it's valuable info on our favorite two-wheel transportation. There are faster bikes, quicker bikes, better-handling bikes, but probably no-other 26+yr. old design evokes so-many comments when-&-wherever you ride it. Just be sure and inform everyone that 1) you were required to take out life-insurance when you bought it, because less than half the original buyers are above-ground today, 2) periodically Yamaha stopped making them because of various government bodies who tried to pass legislation outlawing them because of the performance, 3) Harley-Davidson was prepared to release their Porsche-designed similar style bike at about the same time, and cancelled their plans when they tested the first VMax in the USA, 4) Suzuki, Kawasaki, and Honda all tried to sell bikes like the VMax and they all were withdrawn from the market, 5) they had to change the seat design to a 4" step type, because a Japanese test rider was blown clear-off the prototype when he couldn't hold-on while making a top-speed run, 6) since the USA was the VMax target market, the Japanese car manufacturers insisted on Yamaha limiting its top speed to 149 mph so the bike would not be the fastest Japanese product on the roads, 7) the angled downwards radiator reflects police radar beams away from the police-handheld radar gun, making them virtually impossible to accurately 'clock' your speed, 8) nobody ever got more than 5,000 miles out of a VMax rear tire because the motor's torque output rips the tire plies apart usually before that mileage, 9) the first year of production, all VMaxes were going to be painted a maroon color, but the National Chiefs of Police required that they begin to paint them all a lighter blue color so they would be more-visible to law enforcement. They were unable to visually track the maroon ones. And 10) two outlaw Harley-Davidson riders were severely injured in 1984 riding the notorious "Grapevine" highway on I-5, south of Bakersfield, CA. A test rider for Yamaha, riding one of the prototype VMaxes, passed them so-fast on the interstate, going uphill, that the two tried to get-off their bikes to see what was the matter, not realizing they actually were still moving.

You'll hear others, and they are all true, sort-of...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yevrwr83wkM
Yamaha on The Grapevine, similar camera control to the Blair Witch Project, except more-scary. Watch out about 2:35!

OK OK FM, you had me on the hook, ready to reel in, from #1-#6, but i started trying to wiggle off from #7 through #9. I practically spit the hook out LMAO at #10. :rofl_200: My wife did ask (half-jokingly) to bump up my life insurance, though. How "sort-of true" is #7 and #8? (And no, I haven't put in the carb chains, yet :tantrum:)

10) two outlaw Harley-Davidson riders were severely injured in 1984 riding the notorious "Grapevine" highway on I-5, south of Bakersfield, CA. A test rider for Yamaha, riding one of the prototype VMaxes, passed them so-fast on the interstate, going uphill, that the two tried to get-off their bikes to see what was the matter, not realizing they actually were still moving.

:rofl_200::rofl_200::rofl_200::rofl_200::rofl_200::rofl_200::rofl_200::rofl_200::th_fridaay:

First off, welcome to the forum, you'll find it to be best VMAX knowledge base on the Net.
Second, BWAHAHA. Opening up the oil discussion again. Try this sticky: The OIL thread. All oil related questions here.

pandoras-box1.jpg
That looks like an M.C. Escher woodcut. I started collecting his print copies and books on him in 1970. Without a doubt, one of the most-talented artists I have ever seen. I went to his show which was touring the US within the last couple of years, and it had to be one of the most interesting gallery shows I have ever attended. I sent catalogs to some of my friends for Christmas, and each of them responded with a letter saying it was something they were glad to get, providing hours of interesting reading.

OK OK FM, you had me on the hook, ready to reel in, from #1-#6, but i started trying to wiggle off from #7 through #9. I practically spit the hook out LMAO at #10. :rofl_200: My wife did ask (half-jokingly) to bump up my life insurance, though. How "sort-of true" is #7 and #8? (And no, I haven't put in the carb chains, yet :tantrum:)

One of the car mags did a test a few years ago where they tested radar detectors and vehicles. As expected, vans were the worst offenders, visible to radar from much-further away than anything else which was a passenger vehicle. They came-up with some interesting observations: 1] metallic paint contributes significantly to your radar visibility, 2] the poorer your coefficient of drag, the more-visible you are to radar (the square-front van, squared-off pickups and SUV's), 3] what the body is made-of matters, as-does its shape (composite bodies like Corvettes actually have low visibility to radar because of the wedge shape, the poor reflection due to the fiberglas instead of metal, and because the radiator is angled severely, which deflects the radar beam, 4] things like metal license plates and chrome or metal bumpers and 'west-coast-style' mirrors also reflect radar beams back to the police gun, and that's about all I can recall. So, the VMax has a plastic front fender and an angled radiator, and if you can liberally interpret that as providing dispersal of the radar signal, it's true, 'sort-of...'.

As for the 5K rear tire mileage, when I was riding it regularly, I don't think I ever got to that before self-preservation urges forced me to replace the rubber, and I always bought good rubber, no Chinese or Taiwanese, no fault found with anyone who uses that.

I have an 05 since new. I use KN filter and Valvoline Motorcycle oil, no problems yet with 18,200 miles,,all stock.

O

Latest posts

Back