New Max'er, Old cyclist, some questions

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

desert_max

Reaction score
OK guys. Kind of a long post here, but I hope you'll indulge a first time poster.

I've been a longtime cycle enthusiast. Lots of years, lots of miles, lots of stories. Started with a 1977 750-4 K-frame. Then a GS1000L for a while. In 1985, I had the first ZL900 Eliminator in Ocala, Florida. Nice muscle bike. So nice, my bud one up'ed me by getting not the first (but darn close) Vmax in town. We had years of rides and escapades on those two bikes. We traded often and so I racked up lots of Max Miles on the one that started it all - the '85 Vmax. I never admitted it then, but I would have gladly swapped him. I liked that Max. (But, I enjoyed my Eliminator, too)

Fast forward through a bunch more bikes (and years) to last Saturday. Looking for a decent FZ1, I came across a local '94 Max, yellow, Kerker 4-2-1, K&N, Drag bars, LED's all around. Original owner lived 15 minutes away!

It has a couple of warts. Nothing too bad. I'll probably paint it although it really doesn't need it. After detailing, it looks really decent.

But, here are my questions:

1) More mechanical noise than I'm comfortable with when cold. Do they all make a ruckus when cold? Not really knocking, but an awful lot of clatter. Seems to smooth out when warmed up.

2) A fair bit of snapping and popping when cold. Shotgun it? I hear a lot about this technique, but I prefer the scientific approach rather than "shotgunning" something. Suppose it couldn't hurt.

2) Pretty noticeable off idle bog. Not terrible, but I don't like it. Runs rich at idle. Barely passed Hydrocarbon emissions today. I mean barely. Another case for the "shotgun"?

It runs like a scalded dawg, but cold and off-idle performance bug me.

I realize this ain't much to go on, but should I just plan on a complete carb breakdown and overhaul?

Any comments at all would be welcomed and appreciated.

Pic attached.

Attachments

• Mad_Max.jpg
    Mad_Max.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 49
How many miles are on it??

The engines on these things are noisy.......but depending on miles it might need a valve adjustment.......

Make sure you test out 2nd gear real good......

Does it have a stage 7 carb setup.....4 pod filters instead of one big filter????

If it is real rich that might be causing the off idle stumble.......carb jets are probably off......

Smarter folks than me will be along shortly I am sure......

Welcome aboard:punk:

I don't mean to be a first class "A" hole here but I'd get rid of it and get a real max like this one. Much more power and that purple tank just POPs! I can't even talk about the power.:blink000:

Attachments

• 1992-yamaha-v-max-1.jpg
    1992-yamaha-v-max-1.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 47
I don't mean to be a first class "A" hole here but I'd get rid of it and get a real max like this one. Much more power and that purple tank just POPs! I can't even talk about the power.:blink000:

You're a loon:rofl_200::rofl_200:

Take a look if you have a normal air box or 4 air pods. if so you most likely have a stage 7 which runs rich at idle and might be the reason of your bog. may not need to be cleaned, just retuned a bit on the low end.

Kaboom - forgot to add mileage. 21,000 (turned over today).

Cruzer - That will be my next bike.

You are about due for a valve adjustment I think.......

Do an oil change......15/40 Rotella T if you can find it......

The top end of my bike is noticeably quieter with the Rotella than with the Yamalube:confused2:

That's where Id start, Valves. You hear a lot of noise through the quad pod filters too IF he has a stage 7. Might be the timing chain too. I had a clackety noise around 27k then one day click...gone. All quiet on the western front, get it? I live on the west coast...
Know that most guys complain about crazy stuff when cold, the choke system is mechanical and isn't the greatest, it needs attention to lube the joints once in a while. Its a good habit to be sure its warm before you go racing too.
I had to remove the carbs to get my most blingidy blinged chromed front valve cover off so I didn't scratch it last valve adjustment, not saying you do but if you do for the valve adjustment you might just crack the carbs open to see whats inside. Takes the guess work out and its not hard, we'll walk you through it. Hell mine are out now we can go through it together!

First off, Welcome the forum and very nice ride. Bike has some nice custom touches and looks like it's been taken care off.

I would say that unless you know the owner and the maintenance history and with the mileage, I would start with complete tune up/pm maintenance consisting of;

- valve adjustment/check - new valve cover gaskets ( they are a noisy motor though)
- new plugs and check coil/wires for cracks
- take carb rack out of bike and determine jetting set up (stock, stage 7, etc...) completely strip carbs and clean. (lots of info here on how to do it, even a step by step) - than once rack i back in, synch the carbs
- change oil and filter
- change diff oil
- check second gear for slipping/skipping
- change brake & clutch fluid
- check/adjust steering bearings
- check fuel filter
- check/adjust rear swingarm bearings
- coolant chaeck/change

Once done, ride the hell of it and watch out for the Mod Monkey, he's always lurking around :punk:

Mike

Last edited:
Hey nice bike, like the looks of the color and drag bars too.

The shotgun could work wonders. A '94 with 21k miles has obviously had its fair share of sitting around, so a good sneeze like the shotgun method should help loosen and remove dirt in the carbs. It's mostly for the idle circuit, so it may really help with your idle bog.

Snap + pop when cold is pretty normal. Do you use choke? I find if I keep choke on for the first mile or so I have no problem, and once warmed up it's all good.

An ounce of SeaFoam in the tank will also help keeping everything clean and happy. If after that and the shotgun you still have the same problems, then it's time to pull the carbs and clean them properly, as well as checking all rubber parts for wear. Slide diaphragms and coasting enrichment diaphragms need to be in good condition.

Since it has a Kerker, as others have said, I would defo check what's under the faux-tank, single or multiple air filters, what jetting, what needles, slides drilled etc.
Also if it runs rich at idle, I would check if you still have an operative Vboost - a lot of people go with Stage 7 which involves pod air filters and usually removing or running the Vboost open all the time, which really makes things way too rich at idle.

Lastly, but most importantly, do you have a vacuum sync tool? The MOST important and overlooked adjustment is syncing the carbs. It takes literally 5 mns to do on the Max and makes a world of difference to how it runs, especially smoothness off idle..

Wonder how far that bad boy would fly with a hundred mile an hour launch? Might not beat the Max, but it could be close.
My 86 Max "Skyshot" started to make a lot of engine noise the second or third time I jumped it. You get used to it though.
Ear plugs soaked in Seafoam work for me too.:angry teeth::

Kenny,

LOL hey if thats the case that was my very first Vmax, then a baby Vmax the Fazer.

Gannon

Guys, I really want to thank you all for the great responses! I expected replies, but this place is great and packed with serious Max'ers.

So, let me put it this way:

- It's Tuesday and the weather is fine.
- I work from 6'ish to around 6'ish (yep around 12 hrs)
- Max runs fine but for the slight bog
- Oil level is great and clean as a whistle
- Bike is clean

Bottom line? I ain't touchin' it until the weekend!

But, I do sincerely appreciate the advice. Truth is, I haven't even had the faux tank off yet, so I can't confirm exact intake setup - although the PO said it was K&N'ed. I'll post again one I get into it and since you guys don't seem to mind the "new guy" questions (for probably the hundreth time)!!

Oh, and I'll be doing the fan override this weekend if the kit gets here.

Phoenix can be a beastly place in traffic in summer. I usually try to avoid midday rides June - August.

later . . .

Welcome!

Not knowing what the PO did I would do important things like: coolant, brake and clutch fluid, battery acid level, and then start in on the carbs. Sounds like you need to figure out if he jetted it and get back to us. Also... Get the comp baffle for that Kerker. You won't regret it if you like a top fuel sounding bike. lol

Chris

Latest posts

Back