new tail light

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shawn kloker

Reaction score
Who posted that they just replaced their tail light with the smaller LED light?I posted one time a link to the one that I want to get and can not find it now.It replaces the big plastic piece above the stock light too.Tucks in real nice and tight.Any one remember?

Thats a nice one,but the one I am looking for is from Pa. and was only $75.I posted a link to it one time but can't find it.

Here's one I did

http://www.customdynamics.com/half_moon_custom.htm

Along with relocating the Factory tail light and adding led turn signals to the rear fender.

I wanted the tunr signals off the grab bar because occasionally I use soft pack saddle bags and the signals are in the way of the bags.

You can open these pics up bigger by going to my reply post in "Damn you old man winter" under user mods section.

Attachments

• tl1.jpg
    tl1.jpg
    3.5 KB · Views: 104
  • tl2.jpg
    tl2.jpg
    3.4 KB · Views: 104
  • tl3.jpg
    tl3.jpg
    2.7 KB · Views: 103
  • tl4.jpg
    tl4.jpg
    2.4 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:
wfcall said:
Here's one I did

http://www.customdynamics.com/half_moon_custom.htm

Along with relocating the Factory tail light and adding led turn signals to the rear fender.

I wanted the tunr signals off the grab bar because occasionally I use soft pack saddle bags and the signals are in the way of the bags.

You can open these pics up bigger by going to my reply post in "Damn you old man winter" under user mods section.

So was the relocation of the stock light a kit, or something you did yourself?.......and how hard was it to install the "Half moon" light in the stock location?...one last question, if you had the "half moon" and then replaced to stock reflector with a L.E.D light (of the same size), instead of relocating the stock lamp, do you think it would be noticable enough for those behind you???

Max01red said:
So was the relocation of the stock light a kit, or something you did yourself?.......and how hard was it to install the "Half moon" light in the stock location?...one last question, if you had the "half moon" and then replaced to stock reflector with a L.E.D light (of the same size), instead of relocating the stock lamp, do you think it would be noticable enough for those behind you???

My stock brake/running light is replaced by a LED light that replaced the stock reflector and it is bright enough.

Max01red said:

The reloacation was something I did myself and it wasn't easy and you got be willing to go "past the point of no return" as far as cutting the lens and the light base module. i had to form a new backplate for the stock light out of 1/4" aluminum by cutting a basic shape with a jigsaw and shaping it up on a grinder.

The half moon went in by using thin angle aluminum from home depot and fabricating some bracketry, I used a sawzall/hacksaw and a grinder. Once it's in you can't see the brackets at all. The original black plastic piece is totally gone.

I'm not sure I understand your last question but I'll try...

The stock lamp with led's bulb replacements in it (I'm using the spinning led style of of ebay) are much less bright than stock.

The half moon led tail light I bought is WAY the heck brighter than the stock setup with regular bulbs or the stock light with led's in it.

At this point the stock light with led's in it is more for "Bling" at night with the spinning led bulbs in it and I have at times considered removing it altogether.

The LED half moon is entirely adequate by itself. I do a lot of miles in heavy Houston traffic and am paranoid about making sure I'm visible and this setup is for sure one I like.

I have the one where my taillight is completely gone, and the led strips are right behind the passenger seat above the rear fender. Looks nice but I forget where I bought it. I think it was a find from ebay.

Latest posts

Back