New Top Gear

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RaWarrior

Reaction score
Anybody checked out the new "American" Top Gear? It's on the history channel sunday nights.

I've been a big fan of the original British version for quite a while. It used to be syndicated on TLC, but then got canned with all the other car shows in favor of home makeover and fashion crap. The original is still on the air with new episodes, but as far as I know is only on BBC America in the US, which is only on the expensive digital cable service.

I'm really not too impressed with the Americanized version. The hosts have the personality of a popsicle stick and overall the show just isn't very, well, entertaining. There's no wit, no criticism, no jokes. They've copied the layout and segments of the show almost exactly, yet for me it totally falls flat. The news is boring, the guest chit-chat is dull, almost awkward, and the challenges are tame compared to the British version.

I haven't got to see Top Gear America yet, But I love Top Gear UK. Those guys have fun. I'd love to have their job! Hammond is my favorite host there. He is the best high speed driver of the three.

The original is still on the air with new episodes, but as far as I know is only on BBC America in the US, which is only on the expensive digital cable service.

Dish network has it. BBC America is on thier basic package.

I hated the american version and more than likely not watch another episode.

It fell way short to the humor of Clarkson, Hammond, and May. They way the American version talks about the cars, gives reports on the cars, and the way they introduced the stig was just flat.

Figures, Time Warner continues to suck in every way imaginable. Is it the constantly rising price? Is it the magically vanishing channels? Is it the abysmal customer service? Is it the nagging to upgrade to digital that is borderline harassment? Is it the cable internet that's not as fast as they say? All of the above?

The hosts, err, "presenters" obviously make or break the show, though I guess that's nothing new for the TV world. Remember when Conan tried to host the Tonight Snow?

i cant believe the old top gear didnt take off here. i remember watching that a long time ago on TV. it was hilarious. i remember an episode where they came over here with some bad ass cars and got pulled over and they didnt give a shit and totally joked about it. i vaguely remember them even teasing the police officer

Ok so here's my take on it... Most of us "car" guys have watched the original any way we can, whether via the Beebs or YouTube. For those people that haven't, I believe their take on it will be much different. I actually proved my point last week with a buddy of mine that had only seen clips of the Brit version. He thoroughly enjoyed the American version.

I personally found them HEAVILY scripted and they copied the brits darn near verbatim... That being said, I will continue to watch them. I believe that only time can cure the scripted feel of the show. We have to remember the the brits have been doing this show for YEARS and have built a rapport with each other. They also need NOT copy the British version as much. The car for the celebs should have been a P/U truck or something... At least a LARGE car. COME-ON this is AMERICA!!!

Take a look at some of the OLD OLD Topgears... Not quite as amusing...

I think as the seasons pile on, the show will get better. I'm hoping the History Channel will allow them to do so.

Chris

I pretty much agree with what yall have said. Love the Brit version. Only seen one American version. I really didn't think the whole show blew, but definately had a heavy feel of being scripted. I thought Tanner Foust blew hard. I actually liked him on Supercars Exposed, but not TG. I think they could improve the American version dramatically just by replacing him. The only one that seemed halfway natural to me was the tubby guy that's supposed to be Hammond. BTW, the one I saw was the moonshine run challenge. Side note, if I'd never seen the Brit version, I might have liked the new one some.

Put in for me to replace him. I think I could liven the show up a bit.

I'm not sure Sean, you'd have to be able to do a lot of really tough things better.

Can you...
Drive a manual transmission without looking like it's a concerted effort to remember where the stick goes next?
Do a handbrake turn and manage to not put the car in a ditch?
Talk with a "celebrity" without looking like you need to shit really bad?
Drive exotic sports cars like a frat boy in a rental car? As in, spin out in every corner, then make a comment that the traction control wasn't on the right setting.

If so, you would be the perfect replacement.

Too bad megavideo sucks ass and only lets you watch 30 min of each episode without paying for an account.

Here in PL i can watch 70 mins.

But If you have a DSL connection, a dialing in one.
Just simply reboot your modem, you will get new ip and you can watch
further.

Thats exactly what im doing.

I love the Brit version, tried to watch the american one three times have'nt made it through a full episode yet:puke:

the yank version is trying to be like the brit version, it's just not going to do the trick.... theres ccertain things that are funny in the UK that make no sense in the states.

Blinkx doesn't work for me anymore, and the other sites that had free episodes are gone also, or are just links to buy it on itunes. Oh well, time to try torrents.

edit: yep, every top gear is available as a .torrent file. A HD season is around 5gb, with older SD seasons being around 3.

I do not like the new AMERICAN TOP GEAR. It could be better,but I think the hosts are not great. It just seems too rehearsed. Does anyone remember 5TH GEAR? They should bring 5TH GEAR back!

I'm pretty sure 5th gear is still on, it's a German show. I've seen a couple episodes. It's alright, they do some interesting "mythbusters" type stuff but the "presenters" of UK top gear really make the show.

That said, the first season of UK top gear wasn't anything special either...took until at least the third before it really evolved into the show everyone knows today. Hopefully the US version will work out some of the bugs....namely the ultra-scripted feel, cardboard cutout hosts, and tame, recycled challenges.

Did you guys have the "US special" episode of Top Gear aired over there?

They drove pickup trucks through the deep south down to New Orleans. Stopping for camping and the usual banter, and putting bits of a roadkill corpse in James May's Engine bay. They go through (Alabama?) and painted "I love men", "Nascar sucks" and "I hate Hilary Clinton", etc on the sides of each other's cars and some bad ass redneck woman starts shouting at them, and they flee as she says "I'm'a get the boys"... they chase them down the highway in a pickup with about 5 armed guys in. They filmed them pulling over and frantically rubbing off the slogans on camera phones, as it done in haste before the pickup caught up with them.

Top Gear is awesome, but Clarkson hates bikers with a vengence. He was in big trouble with the BBC when he encouraged people to tie razor wire accross the path of off-road bike routes or something like that, and other such remarks.

Hammond used to write a column in "Bike" magazine over here too.

Did you guys have the "US special" episode of Top Gear aired over there?

They drove pickup trucks through the deep south down to New Orleans. Stopping for camping and the usual banter, and putting bits of a roadkill corpse in James May's Engine bay. They go through (Alabama?) and painted "I love men", "Nascar sucks" and "I hate Hilary Clinton", etc on the sides of each other's cars and some bad ass redneck woman starts shouting at them, and they flee as she says "I'm'a get the boys"... they chase them down the highway in a pickup with about 5 armed guys in. They filmed them pulling over and frantically rubbing off the slogans on camera phones, as it done in haste before the pickup caught up with them.

Top Gear is awesome, but Clarkson hates bikers with a vengence. He was in big trouble with the BBC when he encouraged people to tie razor wire accross the path of off-road bike routes or something like that, and other such remarks.
Hammond used to write a column in "Bike" magazine over here too.

I saw that one - was funny but not the funniest one.
I like they was making fun form americans - loved the Clarkson one:
-"finaly someone whos speak english" hahaha :rofl_200:

I really laughed so hard while watching Clarkson crashing with 3 wheeled Robin car :rofl_200:

The best episode tho is the one with Pagani Zonda R!!!

Back