New wheel combo

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I believe I saw 2-300 RPM difference but it was several years ago.

All tires are built differently. The ME880 I run on the vmax looks 10mm wider than the Z6 I run on the SV and they are the same width. 180mm.

If you want a tire that looks wider run the ME880.

No problem, I'll get some pics of the things that have to be machined. I was looking for a pic of a machined left front fork myself, so I could get it ready before the wheel gets here. Anyone got any pics of the left front fork with the material shaved off?

Last edited:
Will the bearings and such from the Vmax front wheel work with the YZF600r wheel, or will I need to get all of that specifically for the YZF600r?

I bought a new wheel for $185 on ebay, but it does not have anything other than the wheel itself. I just ordered all of the pieces for the wheel, just in case, so I should be covered for the bearings, spacers, etc..... Just bought a set of brake rotors off ebay, so I should be covered there also.

Finally got the new 17's on the bike. Here are a couple pics, one of the left front fork and one of the rear brake mounting bracket. I removed about 6mm of material from the inside of the left front fork. I also have the stock rear brake mounting bracket up next to the one that came with the wheel, looks to be 10mm shaved off, stock was 33mm and one that came with the wheel was 23mm.

Attachments

• 2007 VMAX1200 001.jpg
    2007 VMAX1200 001.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 36
  • 2007 VMAX1200 002.jpg
    2007 VMAX1200 002.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 34
If you took off 6mm from the outside of the fork, I think you are dealing with a VERY thin wall and I would be VERY careful. One hard hit and that fork could crack and do who knows what to you while you are riding. I had a front axle back out on me, and the front wheel rotor dug into the forks... (no where close to 6mm) and I can see the deformation in the inner fork downtube (leg). And I may be mis-understanding you on this, but I can't believe you didn't cut through it when you removed 6mm. Maybe someone here on the forum has a crap lower leg they can sacrifice and cut it up so you know what the actual thickness is.
Jeff

If you took off 6mm from the outside of the fork, I think you are dealing with a VERY thin wall and I would be VERY careful. One hard hit and that fork could crack and do who knows what to you while you are riding. I had a front axle back out on me, and the front wheel rotor dug into the forks... (no where close to 6mm) and I can see the deformation in the inner fork downtube (leg). And I may be mis-understanding you on this, but I can't believe you didn't cut through it when you removed 6mm. Maybe someone here on the forum has a crap lower leg they can sacrifice and cut it up so you know what the actual thickness is.
Jeff

The 6mm was removed from the inside solid portion that the axle goes through, not the fork tube itself. It isn't the brake rotors that are the problem. You either have to machine down the spacer for the right front fork, or find someone who offers them ready made for the YZF600R front wheel conversion. You also have to remove material from the inside of the left front fork at the speedo drive mating surface to allow for the thicker wheel center and proper brake disc/caliper alignment.

Good deal... and sorry for misunderstanding, I'll try to pay better attention next time. :punk:

Jeff

Latest posts

Back