New wheel combo

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vee4DFW

Reaction score
I finally got the Cycle One-Off 17" rear and YZF600R front mounted. They had to do some machining work to the front forks and calipers but it looks great and handles like a new bike. I also had the forks rebuilt with progressives. Also new EBC rotors of course.

I hope you like the pic.

Attachments

• Mr. Maxx.jpg
    Mr. Maxx.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 200
Looks great. Only thing that doesn't work for me is the space betweenthe front mudguard and the wheel. That fender needs to come down. Other than that, what an amazing ride!

I've been debating on whether to bring the fender down. In my humble opinion putting spacers between the fork brace and fender doesn't look sexy either.

you might could shim it I suppose. Personally, it didn't stick out to me as something that didn't look right.

who did the yzf front? man that looks sic! what sized tires on both?

120/70 front 180/55 rear. There is absolutely no room for anything bigger in the back.

The YZF600R wheel had no alterations it shares the same axle and speedo drive as the Max. But the left fork and the calipers had to be machined to center the wheel. They also had to fab a new spacer for it.

There was no way in hell I was going to do it with my dinky 4.5 grinder. My biggest concern was not getting the calipers centered and having the front rotor lock up. That's why I took it to some pros.

For anyone here in the DFW area I use Metric Tek out in Mckinney. They have no problem working on all things V-Max and Venture.

Looks damn good John!!! Can' wait to see it in person. I'll call you tomorrow if I can make time to swing by and pick up the 880's.

no problem Randall, Take your time coming down here. I went for a morning ride this morning on FM 455 which takes in Weston and Celina. All kinds of nice curvey backroads. The bike definately handles totally different.

BTW bring your helmet, I want you to take mine for a spin. I still have a slight bog around 4K while cruising. I went from a 152.5 to a DJ165 and it doesn't seem to have improved if at all. I want to see if it's what you experienced before you took yours in for jetting. I might have to go bigger?

I still have a slight bog around 4K while cruising. I went from a 152.5 to a DJ165 and it doesn't seem to have improved if at all. I want to see if it's what you experienced before you took yours in for jetting. I might have to go bigger?

Usually the best way to deal with something around that rpm is to add a shim or (if you have adjustable needles) move the clip down a notch to raise your needles a tad.

Looks good! An after market fork brace and the black delrin spacers like I have actually look pretty good IMO.

Chris

:punk:Looks good! I am looking at doing this exact same setup. Does the Cycle One Off wheel look fairly centered under the bike from the rear? How much did the 17" wheel up front throw your speedo reading off? I hate the thought of my max clocking more miles than are actually on the bike. Is there any info on how much material needs to be taken off of the fork in order to center the front wheel? Would you be able to use a speedo drive hub from a YZF600 to get the correct speedo reading on a Vmax, or is that gearing not taken care of by the speedo drive hub itself?

There is no noticable offset as far as I can tell. I'll take a picture from the back and post it when I can.
The mechanic had to remove my left shock and the differential to get it to slide in.

If you go to vmaxchat a uk site I believe. They talk heavily about using the Thundercat wheel [YZF600R]. For 93+ Maxes it consists of shaving approximately 6MM off the left fork and approximately 1-2MM off the calipers. There is a guy on the web that also sells a machined spacer for it.

For 85-92 [mine is 85] it's a crapshoot depending on the tolerances which can range from anything as decribed above to just shaving the fork and machining a spacer.

The reason my calipers were worked on is because my front brake set up are Nissin pots from RMS sportsmax so they obviously aren't stock. My EBC rotors are thicker than stock [non-floaters] as well.

As far as I can tell I'm off about 5mph. I can just buy the YZF600R speedo gear to get me back but it doesn't bother me. Everyone in the Dallas metroplex does 5mph over the speed limit so I'm right in the pocket.

Thanks, the info is much appreciated. I just purchased the Thundercat front wheel, as well as a Cycle One Off wheel for the rear. Do you think you would be able to fit a 190/55-17 out back if you did the washer swap. The 190/55-17 would get me much closer to the stock tire diameter so the RPMs won't be so high at normal cruising speeds.

I thought I could get a 190 on mine as well but the 180 barely fits. It could also be the tire as well. I'm using Shinko 005's at the moment. I have heard that "some 190's" will fit but good luck finding one.

In addition it depends on the wheel you get from Cycle One. I got the spoke version just powder coated. The 5.5 inch width is from the inside of the wheel so your mileage might vary from wheel to wheel O.D

FYI I had a 170 with my stock rim without moving the washer. No two bikes are the same it seems. Before going with a 190 I would go get a used one from a shop for about $5 bucks and try it on.

From the look of your pic, I will be getting the exact same wheel, 17 X 5.5, 3 spoke, black powder coated. What kind of RPM difference are you seeing from the stock wheel/tire? I'll try to find a used 190 before buying new to check the fitment. Thanks again for the info and suggestion.

I finally got the Cycle One-Off 17" rear and YZF600R front mounted. They had to do some machining work to the front forks and calipers but it looks great and handles like a new bike. I also had the forks rebuilt with progressives. Also new EBC rotors of course.

I hope you like the pic.
Bike looks great v4. I'm about to do similar stuff on my ' 98 except using a Kaw 750 R front end & Kaw rear wheel to match. How much room did you have for the rear brake arm ?

Rollie,

Tom from Cycle One sent me a machined brake arm with the rear wheel. It looks like about 4mm was shaved of the axle portion of it. It's on my bike now, I wish I would've snapped a pic of it.

The only thing I notice is better acceleration. I didn't pay that much attention to the rpm difference sorry about that. Kratos might be able to send you a pic of it once he recieves his set-up

Back