New Windsheild option.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ridin Dirty

Reaction score
After installing a fork mount 7" headlight, I realized I had some more options concerning windshields. Headlight mounted shields could now be used. I then realized that I could relocate the turn signals onto the fork mounts for the headlight, by just drilling 1/2" holes into the mounting plates. Relocating the turn signals made even more room available for other windshield options.

I always felt the Yamaha "flyscreen" was to small for long distances and the "mini 111" shield offered good wind coverage but didn't look good.

I chose the Givi A210. It's a little smaller than the "mini 111" shield, but looks a lot better. Attaching to the headlight mount was quick and easy. If I left the turn signals in the stock location, I would have had to make some notches in the shield to clear them, maybe about 3/4" notches. Alternatively, I could have tilted the shield higher and trimmed the front of the shield, to clear the headlight.

Picture results below.

Attachments

• 100_0075.jpg
    100_0075.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 311
  • 100_0077.jpg
    100_0077.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 363
  • 100_0083.jpg
    100_0083.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 317
  • 100_0081_2.JPG
    100_0081_2.JPG
    236.9 KB · Views: 346
Last edited:
Sweet! Nice clean looking setup and a headlight upgrade to boot!! :thumbs up: :thumbs up:
Givi has a number of good looking windshields for round headlights.

Sweet! Nice clean looking setup and a headlight upgrade to boot!! :thumbs up: :thumbs up:
Givi has a number of good looking windshields for round headlights.

Thanks Redbone! I had to eyeball the photos on the Givi sight, as to what might fit, but it worked out to be a great fit.

I finally got the bike out for a good ride to see how well the this set up works. I like it a lot. I'm 5'10". Compared to no shield, it removes the constant pressure pushing on the chest area. I get wind on the helmet area, but again not the high pressure pushing on you type. It makes for a nice breezy ride without the uncomfortable high pressure wind. A larger shield such as the mini III or aftermarket does give more total overall protection. I also noticed that I don't get the wind buffeting transferring to the steering head, like I would notice while using the mini III, at high speeds. I got the bike up to 100 mph, and it was quite comfortably, especially since I wasn't getting the wind buffeting shaking the front end.

Overall, I think it's a great all around set up. If I was spending a few days or more on the road I might consider putting on the mini III shield. On a long ride any increase in comfort adds up to less fatigue.

I have seen and have contemplated, that while still running the Givi A123, of running a larger shield "over" the smaller shield for longer trips. It would be handlebar mounted so it could be easily removed once I reach my destination.

Let's see some other sporty windscreen options mounted up boys. I also think the OEM shield leaves something to be desired.

OK
I had bought a universal fairing from j c whitney not realizing it fit a 7 inch headlight... Could you tell me exactly how and what you used for the conversion to a 7 inch headlight............Also j c whitney has two fairings that look pretty good but again they are for a 7 inch headlight

Let's see some other sporty windscreen options mounted up boys. I also think the OEM shield leaves something to be desired.
I used this one as my first windscreen. definitely not sporty but worked well for getting the wind off your chest area.
http://www.classiccruiser.com/National-Cycle/Deflector-Screen/99547/
Then I got a large one from a yamaha dealer. which worked well for overall protection but had a curved area at the top which caused visual distortion that after a while I got used to it because I was looking over the top of it anyway. I'm now use this one.....http://www.classiccruiser.com/National-Cycle/Plexistar-2-Fairing/99457/ and It does work well but makes my fullfaced helmet noisy (with the faceshield down) due to turbulence. So I just leave the shield open if I'm not in the rain or wear my openfaced helmet. again definitely not sporty but I ride 25 miles each way to work at 70 mph more or less and need that protection for the occasional construction truck (or farmer taking pigs to market) dropping gravel or whatever :damn angry: on my commute.
later, bill

In my taste its a little too big, but also are the mirrors and the turnlights , and imho the steeringrod is to large ..
I like it small :biglaugh:
255230_10151066425418501_1432629596_n.jpg

Back