Newbie intro, need help with shift light

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fastcarjoe

Reaction score
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJ8pJ45Ht-Q&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Greetings to all! Well, this is my first post and I'd like to introduce myself. Name's Joe and I am a brand new rider. Bought a 1991 black vmax with cobra slip ons and not a week later someone trades in my current bike at the same place I bought the first one. After a little back and forth, I got this sweet 1995 modded Vmax. Trouble is the shift light is inop. Does anyone recognize what brand of shift light this is so I can snag a wiring diagram and wire her up? Bike also has T-boost, I don't know if it meddling with the rpm input to the vboost module would affect rpm input to the shift light also?Also, I see a K&N filter in the airbox, anyway to tell if it had a stage 1 to match the Kerker? Anyone recognize what brand seat is on here? Have a look at the video and feel free to say hello. I'm in southeast Wisconsin. Bike rides/handles great!

Welcome Joe
Beautiful vmax you have there...
The shift light looks like a raptor www.raptorperformance.com
Is your k&n filter 4 individual filters or just 1? if it's 4 then you have a stage 7
Not sure about the seat, someone else should be able to recognize it

The shift light looks like it could be a Harlan, if it's not a weather resistant unit it's probally junk from being out in the open, check for key on power and a good ground before you condem it, it should light up momentarly when you turn the key on, welcome to the site Joe!.......Sweet Max for sure!................Tom.

The shift light looks like it could be a Harlan, if it's not a weather resistant unit it's probally junk from being out in the open, check for key on power and a good ground before you condem it, it should light up momentarly when you turn the key on, welcome to the site Joe!.......Sweet Max for sure!................Tom.

If it is a raptor and not a harlan and it got wet, contact raptor cause they will fix it for about $15, much cheaper than buying a new one if thats the problem.

Going to grab a test light from work tomorrow and check it out. It has the single k&n filter but I have no idea if the full stage 1 upgrade was done or if they just popped a filter in. Any telltale signs on the carbs that would indicate stage 1 or is everything internal?

Any telltale signs on the carbs that would indicate stage 1 or is everything internal?
you could pull one of the carb's needles. 5-10 minute job. i have S7, but it looks like DJ packages the same or a similar needle in its S1 kits. if the needle has clip rings, S1. if not, stock. gimme a sec and i'll pull up one of my pics that compares the two.
{EDIT}
Here you go. The top needle is stock. The bottom is DJ's. If you have a DJ needle it will have the stock's "brownish-orange" plastic spacer that the pic shows the stock needle having, slid onto it.
337850_2711531664895_1154975066_32597450_1563467714_o.jpg
{/EDIT}

Looks harlan to me. Once they break they are done. Beautiful bike, what front end is that?

It's an inverted R1 front end with custom billet tree's I believe. Heard the term in conversation with people more knowlegeable than I. Ninja, would you happen to have a pic of where on the carb the needle is located, I'd hate to monkey with the wrong screw and nix the bike's driveability. Thanks to everyone for the input!

Took a little time to trace the wiring for the shift light. Without a test light and wiring diagram I can't be sure, but it certainly looks wired in correctly. Hopefully this pic of the bottom of the shift light helps ID it better. It has two adjustable knobs and three switches. I have all my allen wrenches at work in my toolbox so the scoop removal and needle exam will have to wait until Monday, but it looks like someone has definitely been in there. Colored allen screws, some carb parts look parts washered :) Just a hopeful guess!

Attachments

• 2012-04-29 13.36.19.jpg
    2012-04-29 13.36.19.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 31
  • 2012-04-29 13.36.44.jpg
    2012-04-29 13.36.44.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 31
  • 2012-04-29 13.55.03.jpg
    2012-04-29 13.55.03.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 29
  • 2012-04-29 14.23.28.jpg
    2012-04-29 14.23.28.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 26
After checking out raptor and harlan websites, this looks like a raptor light that got wet. Going to contact Raptor and see where I need to go from here. Bill, how did you hear about the $15 raptor fix?

Yeah, looks identical to my Raptor. It always wigs out when it gets wet(either stops working, or starts lighting up at random), but when it dries it always seems to work fine again. Then again mine lives behind the stock flyscreen so it avoids the worst of the spray in wet roads.

If it's dead, maybe consider one of these? It's a shift light with rpm display in the middle. Easy way to get a tach up on the handlebars without having to go with expensive replacement gauge clusters.

I'm planning to put one on my bike in place of the Raptor light I have.

After checking out raptor and harlan websites, this looks like a raptor light that got wet. Going to contact Raptor and see where I need to go from here. Bill, how did you hear about the $15 raptor fix?

I called Raptor when my light got wet and quit working, they said send it back to us and they could fix it for $15.00.

Give them a call

She does have the stage 1 :clapping: Sent off the shift light to Raptor today. Bike was smoking the tire through 1st today (pavement was a little damp). You gotta love these bikes!

Back