Newbie needing guidance looking for used Vmax.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crashxx

Reaction score
Hey guys, I've always though these bikes are badass. I've decided I need one to set beside my ZRX1200R. What I need to know is, which year to look for/avoid, what to watch out for, any other advice for finding a good used Vmax. Thanks for all the help!

Besides the usual cosmetic stuff here are a few of the things to take a look at:

1) The Vmax has a history of 2nd gear issues so a test ride should be in order. If it pops out of 2nd or has problems going into 2nd do not buy.

2) If the bike has sat for an extended period of time you will have carb problems! Vmax carbs can be a pain in the ass when they want to be.

3) Check the fuel tank for rust, is a good indicator as to the condition of the carbs too.

4) Personally I wouldn't buy a Vmax older than a 2000 (or a 1997 if you want mine:biglaugh: ) just because Yamaha made some changes along the way and you pretty well will have all them in a 2000.

Give the bike a good look over, test ride, and then come here with more questions.

Check around the Neck to the Frame. Make sure it hasnt been wrecked at one point or another. Also what those guys have said already.

You should consider the 2005 we have. Since you're in Oklahoma that wouldn't be a bad drive for you!

Sean

Back