Oil Pick Up HD Grommet Replace How-To

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

95spfldmax

Reaction score
I can never search-on-demand and find what i'm looking for....

Would some kind forum-er please post a link here for the how-to on this procedure...I didn't find squat.............

I assume this is the bugger in question??

GrommetPic_zpsa6955718.jpg

Mike, I'm doing this now also. The pipe with the problem o-ring is the one towards the top of your picture....look all the way around where that pipe goes up into the motor, if there is no bulging o-ring then it is ok. What can be seen from the pic looks ok, but check all the way around the pipe.

Give me a call if you got questions.

Should It be changed even if it's in place, as a precaution. :ummm:

I guess replacing isn't a bad idea if you plan on crowding the redline, otherwise I'd shim the bumper to add a little more pre-load on the elbow (Kawasaki valve shims work good I believe) and button it back up.

The oil pan being off allows inspection of the o-ring area but there is a few more steps before actual replacement can be accomplished.

May as well replace it now. The biggest pain in the ass is scraping the old gasket off. That and removing/replacing the pipes. Do it now and you will never need to worry about that pesky o-ring again.

I guess replacing isn't a bad idea if you plan on crowding the redline, otherwise I'd shim the bumper to add a little more pre-load on the elbow (Kawasaki valve shims work good I believe) and button it back up.

The oil pan being off allows inspection of the o-ring area but there is a few more steps before actual replacement can be accomplished.

any more info on that valve shim danny? first i heard of it?

My o-ring does look fine but there won't be a better time to change it than right now. So it looks like I need to bend locks out of way, unbolt two screws & and pull out entire "t" pipe to replace o-ring? That can be done without removing other pipe that looks in the way?

I also have a bit of debris at the pump scren some of which looks interesting. I'll post that pic later and see what you guys think about the long-term health of my motor.:ummm:....and just to confirm....it looks like I can just "pop off" that screen cover to clean all the chunks out and pop back on?

BottomEndofNewMaxMotor_zpsa8f7265d.jpg

I decided to look into my o-ring today. I have a few tech questions. I took out the two bolts for the oil sensor unit. is that supposed to come right out. I can turn the unit, but there is no sign of it coming out. Can I tap on it? I have a tendency of applying a little to much force on things like this. I have the pan dropped, so I can get at it from both sides. Like 95spfldmax asked. Does the sump cover just pop off, or is there another way. By the way. I have the classic o-ring blowout. What lube should I put on the o-ring, to help get it back in place?

I decided to look into my o-ring today. I have a few tech questions. I took out the two bolts for the oil sensor unit. is that supposed to come right out. I can turn the unit, but there is no sign of it coming out. Can I tap on it? I have a tendency of applying a little to much force on things like this. I have the pan dropped, so I can get at it from both sides. Like 95spfldmax asked. Does the sump cover just pop off, or is there another way. By the way. I have the classic o-ring blowout. What lube should I put on the o-ring, to help get it back in place?

Never had to take the screen cover off myself, so I dont know about that. But i will say it looks like you have a lot of debris in that motor. As for lubricant, use a little motor oil and a firm push to pop the tube/o-ring back in place. Its a tight fit :)

Never had to take the screen cover off myself, so I dont know about that. But i will say it looks like you have a lot of debris in that motor. As for lubricant, use a little motor oil and a firm push to pop the tube/o-ring back in place. Its a tight fit :)
Thats a pic of 95spflpmax's motor. What about the oil sensor unit. Just the two bolts and it pops out:ummm: Mines not popping out.

Back