omg guys you aint gona belive this

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mr.maxx

Reaction score
ok so last thursday i sell my bike . today the dude that bought my bike calls me an says the bike has a blown head gasket . he emailed me sum pix.....and shure unuff milkshake. he wants to bring the bike back . what should i do???? i shure as hell didnt know it had a BHG. unless during my very last ride it went out.....i cant be certain i guess. this dude seems pretty up n up but hey how do i know. what would you do???:ummm:

Change the oil a number of times. Look and see if the waterpump shows evidence of leaking (there is a weep hole in the bottom). It's unusual for the coolant to enter the oil from a head gasket failure on these bikes. Not impossible just unusual.

Sean

so coolant can enter the crankcase from the waterpump?

Fuck.....I dunno?

How many miles did he put on it?
He might have taken it and ridden the ever living piss out of it for all you know......

I'd say a deals a deal but my conscience might bother me.

It wasn't blown when you sold it as far a you know.

I'd offer to take the bike back, return the money, MINUS the cost of a dealer repair perhaps....
Then fix it and resell it?

Or just tell him a deals a deal.

If you undo the deal completely, or let him keep it and you pay to repair it, I suspect you're the one who's getting screwed cause who don't know what he did to it....if he did....

This happens all the time on used cars lots, that's why they make you sign a piece of paper with great big block letters that says
"Sold as is, with no expressed or implied warranty"

Gotta find some common ground, just don't be afraid to say what you think. Nice guys can get screwed in a hurry if he's trying to pull something.

Plus, If he says he didn't ride it then how's he know the gaskets blown other than the way the oil looks? That being the case didn't he check the oil or look in the sight glass before driving away with it?

Change the oil a number of times. Look and see if the waterpump shows evidence of leaking (there is a weep hole in the bottom). It's unusual for the coolant to enter the oil from a head gasket failure on these bikes. Not impossible just unusual.

Sean

I didn't really think about that, but considering how oil drains back from the heads and the head gasket "pressure failure" is probably at the gasket where it holds combustion that makes perfect sense.

Oil in coolant and not much of that seems more likely right?

Sean,
Couldn't you also pull the rad cap and idle it up to temp and see some sort of action that helps diagnose if combustion pressure is pushing into water jacket?

he says he didnt ride it at all. idk......it ran like a top last i saw it.

i hate being a dick....just not my style

he says he didnt ride it at all. idk......it ran like a top last i saw it.

i hate being a dick....just not my style

Hindsight always being 20-20, I guess it's always a good idea to record the exact mileage on the odometer, when making out the receipt. And take a close-up photo of the speedo, prior to selling.

A milkshake can build up over time from the moisture in the gasses that squeeze past the piston rings (and out the breather hose) regular oil changes will keep you on top of this

You should have a look inside the oil seperator at the bottom of the airbox and make sure it's not clogged
Dscn0326.jpg

I would relay the info Sean gave you and offer to change the oil for him

Do you have a compression gauge? I would run a compression check and see if one cylinder is down on compression.

In most states a private sale is considered "AS IS" unless other wise stated. The PARTS to do the repair (which ever it is) are going to be under $100 so I would offer him $100 back . If he dosen't find that to his liking, then give him the number for Judge Judy

Hindsight always being 20-20, I guess it's always a good idea to record the exact mileage on the odometer, when making out the receipt. And take a close-up photo of the speedo, prior to selling.

Shouldn't the mileage be on the title when you sold it to him?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

If he dosen't find that to his liking, then give him the number for Judge Judy

If it comes down to that, and I hope it doesn't, there is also the concept of "Due Diligence" on his part...Did he take measures to assure the bike was in the condition he assumed it to be before leaving with it?
If he didn't then it's your word against his, he didn't prove it was good before he left with it..bought it hoping it was what he wanted...He just He bought it "As Is".......

I just did some web surfing and it looks like Georgia Private vehicle sales are not covered by any "implied" warranty like a dealer would be held to. Its "As Is" unless specific written warranty was made by seller at time of sale...........And of course you can believe everything you read on the internet :)

I like the offering to pay for parts idea, although before I did that the parts oughta be named specifically or it could open a whole other can of problems if some mechanic dives in and comes up with a bullshit list of parts involved....

I would relay the info Sean gave you and offer to change the oil for him

Do you have a compression gauge? I would run a compression check and see if one cylinder is down on compression.

In most states a private sale is considered "AS IS" unless other wise stated. The PARTS to do the repair (which ever it is) are going to be under $100 so I would offer him $100 back . If he dosen't find that to his liking, then give him the number for Judge Judy

Think I would start here MM, make sure it really is a HG before going any further, right now you only have his word right? ....but tell him you don't have the tools (or something) and have him bring it to a shop.

If it's the water pump, it isn't a big deal to rebuild one of them.

I would go look the bike over and verify that he is being honest with you and then make a decision from there, "as is" means as is but we always want to do what's right, we have to put ourselves in the buyers shoes as well, probably not a big deal, Two weeks ago I traded my Max for a bike only to get it home and find the engine case was cracked and had been JB welded, I called the guy and we undid the deal, he said he was sorry, he didn't know about the problem, that aside, big difference in a cracked inner case and water in the oil,,,I think.

the guy lives 80 miles away. if he was close by id fix it myself. i shure do feel awfull .....but yea i guess ill convey seans info and offer to pay for the water pump fix. and yes i did write the mileage on the title. i think the water pump seals went south personally. good thing it was caught early.

thanks for all the replies fella"s i appreciate you"re input!!!!

If it comes down to that, and I hope it doesn't, there is also the concept of "Due Diligence" on his part...Did he take measures to assure the bike was in the condition he assumed it to be before leaving with it?
If he didn't then it's your word against his, he didn't prove it was good before he left with it..bought it hoping it was what he wanted...He just He bought it "As Is".......

I just did some web surfing and it looks like Georgia Private vehicle sales are not covered by any "implied" warranty like a dealer would be held to. Its "As Is" unless specific written warranty was made by seller at time of sale...........And of course you can believe everything you read on the internet :)

I like the offering to pay for parts idea, although before I did that the parts oughta be named specifically or it could open a whole other can of problems if some mechanic dives in and comes up with a bullshit list of parts involved....

+1. Protect yourself. Don't get stuck for a repair that could cost a lot of money. It was a private sale. The bike was running well. You don't know how the bike was treated after the sale. If it's a coolant pump redo? I'd pay for that and an oil change. Aren?t you glad a friend isn't involved?
I bought an 85 last summer for short money. The owner was less than honest about the condition of the engine. Telling me how he wanted me to come by with it after I got it all fixed up.
rofl_200.gif
It had one good rod journal and the case was hack welded. But, a deals a deal. Still, I had little recourse even though the situation was different than yours. I owned it. (I'll ride over next summer on my 89 to bust his balls)

Steve-o

You can blow a motor w/o putting any miles on it. Over-reving it in the driveway to impress the friends or neighbors has been done before. I would tell him if he wants you to do ANYTHING about the ISSUE , bring it back and you will look into it at your leisure , as a deal is a deal , and as is is as is. No $ passes hands until you find out what the true ISSUE is.

You can blow a motor w/o putting any miles on it. Over-reving it in the driveway to impress the friends or neighbors has been done before. I would tell him if he wants you to do ANYTHING about the ISSUE , bring it back and you will look into it at your leisure , as a deal is a deal , and as is is as is. No $ passes hands until you find out what the true ISSUE is.

exactly....just what im gonna do.

Has any one ever actually blown a head gasket on a stock motor Vmax with no power adders like nitrous or blowers etc?
Just curious......

Yeah, I blew mine, but it wasn't catastrophic
The engine would bubble exhaust into the cooling system, forcing some of it out through the overflow - the coolant would run low and lead to overheating

New gaskets and a ARP head studs from Sean solved the problem quickly

well we talked it over and he is gonna drop the bike off and let me fix it.
fine with me.

sometimes i wish i wasnt such a nice guy:rofl_200:. naaa not really :biglaugh:

Back