Original Vmax questions

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bacchus

Reaction score
I have a 1985 vmax project going, this is #580 off the assebly line and is therefore a very early example of this great bike. It appears to be a garage kept bike and is in generally very good condition but in need of some repair and general resto work.

My goal for this project is to return it to as close to mint original condition as I can..... Zero mods.... I got the mod monkey on my last vmax project and this one is going to be bone stock original. I know how it is... if I dont stay bone stock, I'll be back to doing a complete moded max again...and right now I cant afford it and this one warrants resto to stock in my opinion.

As I would like it to be back to as it was on the showroom floor in 85 I would like to be sure that it is in fact currently in bone stock condition and if any alterations were made, correct them. hopefully this will one day be the kind of original condition bike the collectors get all hot and bothered over.

the bike is currently what appears to be a metal flake purple color, I believe this was available only in 85 but I was hoping some of the members here who know vmax history would be able to confirm or deny this.

the side covers are a matt silver color with an impressed vmax logo that is the same color as the rest of the cover, I belive this is correct as well but please feel free to confirm or deny.

the front exhaust collars, and the rear exhaust faux covers have a gold tone to the trim on the ribs, this is the only location where this color exists on this bike, I know later models had this gold tone to these parts but I am questioning if the exhuast on this bike is original to this vmax....

the covers that go on ths side of the jugs, they are about and inch or so wide by about two inches tall, have the two vertical fins on them, are all black on this bike. other vmax's that I have seen have the fins in gold or aluminum, I am wondering if these were all black in 85 or if someone painted them???

if you know the answers to any of these questions please respond, if you are guessing please dont.

BTW I need one of the plastic screws that secures the needle into the slide, if any one has as loose one around please pm me, I believe yamaha will only sell the entire slide assembly and I really dont want to pay $100+ for a little plastic screw !

thanks vmaxers

The side covers are correct for sure. I am trying to remember what my buddy Brad's 85 had for coloration on the collars for the header pipes. For some reason the goldish tint sounds correct to me. As for the color on the skins I can't help you there. I thought the cylinder covers were goldish and not black on an 85. Sean would know for sure I think. Wish I could be of more help.

i would start looking up google images for 1985 or any of the yamaha propaganda around that time for comparison too.

Exaust collersdo have a bit of a gold tone,Side covers are original,fins on the head and valve covers are silver ,clutch & stator inserts are silver. The paint is origainl a purplish blue metal flake. The foot pegs are diffrent for 85 to you should have kind of square pegs. Here are a couple pics of mine.

Attachments

• 85 Vmax 014.jpg
    85 Vmax 014.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 57
  • 89 Vmax & 85 blue paint 010.jpg
    89 Vmax & 85 blue paint 010.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 62
  • 89 Vmax & 85 blue paint 012.jpg
    89 Vmax & 85 blue paint 012.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 59
  • 85 Vmax 009.jpg
    85 Vmax 009.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 64
  • 85 Vmax 005.jpg
    85 Vmax 005.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 62
I believe those collars start out silver and gradually turn gold from the heat. If I had an original 85, I would want to make totally stock also. Good idea.:clapping:

I believe those collars start out silver and gradually turn gold from the heat. If I had an original 85, I would want to make totally stock also. Good idea.:clapping:
I am sure you are right . I have not had mine since new but if you look close they look like its just the coating changing from the heat.

captian kyle.... that is exactly my max you have there... .good lookin' bike too!

thanks for the post up and the pics

I think the 85 blue color is called Amethyst Blue. Someone correct me if I'm wrong on that. The entire exhaust came chrome colored to begin with. I suspect yours is suffering only mild heat discoloration.

To my knowledge, only the 85 model year had the squared off design to both front and rear pegs, and of course, it's also the only year with the indented vmax embossed side covers.

Wasn't the s/n sold to the public aways began with a ......101? Meaning the s/n of 580 would be the 480th sold by mother Yamaha?

I think the 85 blue color is called Amethyst Blue. Someone correct me if I'm wrong on that. The entire exhaust came chrome colored to begin with. I suspect yours is suffering only mild heat discoloration.

To my knowledge, only the 85 model year had the squared off design to both front and rear pegs, and of course, it's also the only year with the indented vmax embossed side covers.

Wasn't the s/n sold to the public aways began with a ......101? Meaning the s/n of 580 would be the 480th sold by mother Yamaha?
The last 4 of the vin is the production number for example mine is 0464 so its the 464th one built

captian kyle.... that is exactly my max you have there... .good lookin' bike too!

thanks for the post up and the pics
Thanks ! SOme one had painted it maroon when I got it & I am like you wanted it back original beisdes the paint no one had ever modified it in any way it has 16,500 miles on it. I am gonna sell it soon dont really want to but I have to much stuff around here.

There were two colors in 85. The only year I know of that had two colors.

The last 4 of the vin is the production number for example mine is 0464 so its the 464th one built

Yes, but I'd of sworn my Yamaha dealer told me that production #'s sold to the public began at 101, and any bikes before that were dedicated to research and development bla bla bla.

Yes, but I'd of sworn my Yamaha dealer told me that production #'s sold to the public began at 101, and any bikes before that were dedicated to research and development bla bla bla.
Dont know for sure about that. I have a customer in Canada that swears the last 4 of his vin is 0068 I have not seen it in person so I dont know.

Allegedly, there is a 1985 V-Max here in my podunk town. A mate of mine knows the owner and it was running last he saw it but it's not on the road right now. He reckons it's pretty original as best he can tell and believes I might get it for $500. I'll keep you all posted.

Chris.

well, we got an 85 registration page and the highest VIN number puts it close to 6,000 bikes but that is USA production numbers. Euro, Candadian, and Japanese may have their own production numbers but obviously the U.S. will be the largest consumer of them.

Yeah I am with you on keeping it stock. Here is some pic of my 86 I am keeping her stock. I hope so any how the mod monkeys bite is awful

Attachments

• my vmax 1.jpg
    my vmax 1.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 23
  • my vmax 2.jpg
    my vmax 2.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 20
  • my vmax 3.jpg
    my vmax 3.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 20
hey thanks for info...my last vin says 2650 i was guess curious where in line my bike was built.

Back