Paint question

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

megadeth1

Reaction score
Hello all! Went on the color rite link, looks like quality stuff. Thinking of painting my (tank) myself, with their aerosol paint and clearcote. In a dust free room with ac. Anyone try this?Results good or awefull,:ummm: would like to know! Thank you!

Hello all! Went on the color rite link, looks like quality stuff. Thinking of painting my (tank) myself, with their aerosol paint and clearcote. In a dust free room with ac. Anyone try this?Results good or awefull,:ummm: would like to know! Thank you!

I've never personally done it, but I've seen some pretty good results.

I've always went to the automotive paint supplier and have my paint and clear coat pre-mixed then put in an aerosol can.

whats the difference? u have the clearcoat and paint mixed together?

If it comes in a aersol can it;s not a true urathane clear and won't have a lot of durability

I agree. To get the real durable clear coat finish, you need to mix automotive clear coat with a hardener and spray it with a gun. If you have compressed air, a spray gun can be bought inexpensively, and it will be much better (and durable) than any rattle can.

whats the difference? u have the clearcoat and paint mixed together?

No I just pick the paint out of the book (can't do metalflake) they mix it up, add the reducer and hardener, then can it. Then they mix up the clear and put it in a different can.

Only downside is you have about a day to use it or it goes bad and your limited on paint.

I done my bellypan, and front fender,after I gouged it, this way almost two years ago and it's holding up great. I have also spot patched my truck as well.

Here is a couple of pictures of the motorcycle right after I done it, and a current shot. It was ment to be a temp fix, but it sti3l looks good so I haven't messed with it.

Attachments

• KJSMAX_1.jpg
    KJSMAX_1.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 25
  • KJSMAX_5.jpg
    KJSMAX_5.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 27
  • SDC10291.jpg
    SDC10291.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 27
No I just pick the paint out of the book (can't do metalflake) they mix it up, add the reducer and hardener, then can it. Then they mix up the clear and put it in a different can.

What's the name of the shop that does that for you? I'm quite interested, I never knew you could have a proper paint shop mix the right and then put in in a can for you!?

What's the name of the shop that does that for you? I'm quite interested, I never knew you could have a proper paint shop mix the right and then put in in a can for you!?

Both the paint shops at Brown and son's NAPA, and B&C Autoquest have done this for me.

I got a decent first spray gun from Harbor Freight since none of the local shops can do the spray can paint. I'm having overall good results even though I am learning some lessons my usual hard way. Also got the breathing mask and inline filter, of course, and all for somewhere around $75. So far it's working great with no problems, on the first clear coat now but marred the front fender and had to start over with it.

Remember when Ford and GMC had pink trucks in the mid-90's? Within a few days my Vmax will be this color.

pinkfordiris.jpg

Pink Vmax?? Here's one we did years ago.

Sean

Attachments

• Jackie Peterson.jpg
    Jackie Peterson.jpg
    170.6 KB · Views: 25

Only downside is you have about a day to use it or it goes bad and your limited on paint.

I done my bellypan, and front fender,after I gouged it, this way almost two years ago and it's holding up great. I have also spot patched my truck as well.

Here is a couple of pictures of the motorcycle right after I done it, and a current shot. It was ment to be a temp fix, but it sti3l looks good so I haven't messed with it.

Hello Sir
Love your bike nice color and the kleen setup,
ive got the 09 and I'd like to install your type of mirroirs can you tell me were you got yours. how do you find them?
Patrick

Hello Sir
Love your bike nice color and the kleen setup,
ive got the 09 and I'd like to install your type of mirroirs can you tell me were you got yours. how do you find them?
Patrick

Thanks for the compliments. As for my mirrors they are just the plain ol $20 eBay specials. I just searched for bar end mirrors and they popped right up.

same here. i actually got 2x sets b/c they were so cheap and i figure its only a matter of time before i hit something with them.

Wendy out of Idaho (I think) also runs a pink 'Max.....

It's finally sunny today, I'm off to the make-shift paint booth in the garage!

I have had good results with colorite paint... here is a link to some photos. The paint has so far held up well, the color match was excellent. Time will tell on the clear coat. After these photos were taken I have continued to wet sand with 1200 grit and the smoothness has improved a lot. Perfectly acceptable for me.

Owen

Latest posts

Back