painting my exhaust pipe...

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ghostntheshell

Reaction score
First thing I'm doing is painting the pipe on my bike. It's a Hindle 4 into 1.
The pipe looks older - and really takes away from the look of the bike.

Here's the plan I have...

1.) Start with a good air-assisted sanding wheel. Sand the thing down as best as possible. I am not going to remove it from the bike at the point.

2.) Wipe it down with my favourite degreaser (leave NO residue)

3.) Tape / Mask the bike up

4.) Spay bomb with header paint. Black. One coat.

5.) Let it dry.

6.) Run the bike for bout 15 minutes to cure.

7.) Spay bomb. Second coat.

8.) Repeat steps 5 abd 6 and 7 until I have applied multiple coats.

Any see anything I'm missing?

I might do a primer coat too - but not sure if I have to cure the primer coat too.

Then - to finish it all off - some header wrap for the 1st 6 inches of the pipe where it's the hottest.
________
medical marijuana card

Last edited:
Wouldn't it be easier to take it off and have it properly coated? Ceramic or otherwise shouldn't be alot of money.:ummm:

Dale #2592

Take a look at my album pics. I painted the whole exhaust with high temp paint and then wrapped it. Powdercoating will hold up much better than paint. If you do paint, don't cure it between coats, if you do, the coats won't adhere to eachother and will flake off in little time.

Ghost, I think you would be better off removing the exhaust for the bike to paint it - best way is to have it ceramic coated or jet hot coated - I got my HMF exhaust ceramic coated for $100 - saved alot of headaches and looks great.

Mike

Sorry to hijack but can you ceramic coat stainless steel?

Ghost, it's 1" black wrap from sturdevant's. DEI is the brand. I wrapped the whole exhaust except for the cans. 50' per side. Then coated the wrapped pipes with DEI's high temp silicone header wrap paint (Makes them more durable and protects from road grime). Save yourself some headache and remove the exhaust, you'll be glad you did.

Mark-Yes, stainless can ,and often is, ceramic coated. All the high end automotive headers are this way. The stainless tubing doesn't rust but will discolor over time. The ceramic coating keeps the headers from looking discolored.

Back