Parts on my bike

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've attached a couple pictures of Maxine. I may have gotten more for my money than I realized. My buddy told me it had a rear cross-drilled rotor, upgraded rear springs, and Cobra exhaust. After looking a bit closer, I do believe it has a different seat as well. I did some research and I don't think it is a Sportmax, but it doesn't look like the stock one . . . any ideas?
Also, is it me or did someone flip my front fender around backwards??

Attachments

• Maxine (2).jpg
    Maxine (2).jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 45
  • Maxine.jpg
    Maxine.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 34
Can't get a good look at your seat to determine what it is.
But your front fender is definately on backwards.
Question is : how does your vrod run compared to the max?

Bill, good eye! The front fender is on backwards. Check to see if you have an after market fork brace. That would be the only reason to take the fender off unless it has been repainted. The seat looks stock to me, maybe scooped out a bit to lower the seating but the material on it looks stock.

Bill, good eye! The front fender is on backwards. Check to see if you have an after market fork brace. That would be the only reason to take the fender off unless it has been repainted. The seat looks stock to me, maybe scooped out a bit to lower the seating but the material on it looks stock.

I mentioned the fender issue in the opening post. I do not know what the stock fork brace looks like (if I don't have one) - I've attached a pic so please let me know if you can tell if mine is after market.

Attachments

• fork brace.jpg
    fork brace.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 20
Looks great...I bet it sounds good. I'd agree with Buster, I think the seat may have had some foam shaved off to lower it a bit. It does appear to dip pretty good. Did you get the stock exhaust with it ? As you may know you loose a few ponies with the Cobras.

Maybe the last owner either liked the look or just gapped it when they put the fender on. Maybe he thought it might help keep some dirt from out of the rad better that way. Who knows.

Always glad to hear about another happy Maxer. :coolgleamA:

My Vrod is a 'D' model which came out in '06 and is called Nightrod; the main difference (and what attracted me) is center controls and highway pegs rather than forward controls. Seat height is 26" and so you sit much lower than on a Max. From a drag racing standpoint, I feel the Vrod has a slight disadvantage in power but wins back some because of its 'long and low' stance. Although low end power is abundant, I still find a bit more clutch work involved with launching the Rod but overdosing the throttle off the line is more comfortable with the Rod as the results are more likely rear wheel spin rather than front-end lift off (Max likes this game).
From the factory, the riding position for Rod is more forward and slightly less comfortable than Max (at least my Max which I think has a better than stock seat or modified seat . . . attached are more pics of the seat which I'm still looking for feedback on). The Rod is not as roomy as Max and that goes for the passenger also. The front end tracks well on the Rod but potential for good handling in the curves is destroyed by the aforementioned 'long and low' stance and you'll find yourself scraping pegs and exhaust parts without much effort (the bike's single biggest fault, in my opinion). Another annoyance is refilling the under-seat tank, which is MUCH easier to spill all over the place than with Max (and also .3 gallons less capacity than Max). Fit and finish is better on the HD but it is a bit unfair a comparison due to year/ mile difference between the two.
The bottom line -
Rod makes a great 'trophy bike' and has potential as a drag bike.
Max is a bit quicker, more comfortable, and is better in the turns; an almost mystical entity of 1980's technology still kicking the tail of the best in the 21st century. If the 2008 model lives up to expectation, I doubt that I'll be keeping anything other than Yamahas ( Star=Yamaha) in my garage. Now if I can only figure out why someone put my fender on backwards . . .

Attachments

• seat.jpg
    seat.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 16
  • seat (1).jpg
    seat (1).jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 17
I mentioned the fender issue in the opening post. I do not know what the stock fork brace looks like (if I don't have one) - I've attached a pic so please let me know if you can tell if mine is after market.

Doh! My bad! :doh::smileystooges: And as Rob mention, it is a stock brace.

I agree with Buster, your seat for sure had been worked on but looks like amybe the stcok skin was restretched afterwards. There has been some padding cut out from the way it looks to me.

Nice write up on the Vrod versus Vmax comparison also....

If you re-read the post; I never mentioned the brace, but while I'm on the topic it does looks like mine and that is stock. I know who confirmed...not me. ooooooops

I love the seat on your bike, it must of been modified, or it's aftermarket. It looks modified as I said.....if I'm wrong then shoot off my balls. :2gunsfiring_v1:

Ok - what's the bell for, like your gonna hear it over that exhaust !

Yo Robbarrie I was just pokin fun at Buster with the brace thing.

But I saw the bell on his bike also, so I went to the "Are you a Biker" thread and asked the "bikers" if they knew what it was. The answer is kind of weird.

That is a reworked seat by a professional. Those are new skins by the way it's sewn. If you try stretching the original, the seams would not remain straight and go all over the place. Don't ask me how I know this. :whistlin:

If you re-read the post; I never mentioned the brace, but while I'm on the topic it does looks like mine and that is stock. I know who confirmed...not me. ooooooops

I love the seat on your bike, it must of been modified, or it's aftermarket. It looks modified as I said.....if I'm wrong then shoot off my balls. :2gunsfiring_v1:

Ok - what's the bell for, like your gonna hear it over that exhaust !

Thanks to all for the compliments / feedback re: my seat. As for the bell, it remained from my 'old skool' buddy that I bought the bike from....I had to research it as well to figure out its meaning. I was going to take it off but then figured why bother - it obviously makes for a good conversation piece:smile:
Today was great - planned on going for a short ride this morning in NorCal. Long story short - my gf and I stopped at a viewpoint for Monticello dam and noticed two more Vmax couples stopped there also - the other two couples were riding together but we were all surprised to see each other. Anyway, we all ended up logging over 100 miles together on one of the finest days in one of the finest areas in the world and then all had lunch together. It was truly one fine day . . .

Back