PCW Camshafts???

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you don't mind Shawn what are you putting down for power with what other mods? You don't have to say, I was just curious.

No worries. ;)

I can understand why most of these cam manufacturers are running such a tight intake LSA, which promotes low-to-mid range torque; but I don't understand why they would use that single pattern grind for both the intake *and* the exhaust?

If the exhaust cam lobes were a bit larger in duration, had a 110* LSA and increased lift, that cam would not give up anything on the bottom end and would make big power up top too!

Once I figure out what these heads flow stone-stock and then again what they flow after we're done, the cam can be tailored to the heads, relative compression, etc. If a set of ported street heads have a good I/E flow percentage relationship, than a split-pattern cam would be less needed, IMO.

Here's the grind I was thinking of:
Intake Cams: 260* @.040"/.380" 106 LSA, 1* adv.
Exhaust Cams: 265*@.040"/.385" 110 LSA, 2* adv.

*Plus, a grind like this would produce a very sexy idle "gallup" too!

Backfire, once you get the cams figured out will you be making more for others? Or is this just for your project? :drool:

Mark

I never thought of any mass produced parts, but I'd guess anyone can use the grinds I come up with by simply calling Megacycle (or whomever) to order yours- if they work... LOL!

I am running the Web cam
.383 lift
276 degree duration
252 degree duration @0.050"
And..........?????? Details?????!!!!?????

Just saying "I have this" without providing details pertinent to the discussion that we'd all like to know, gives us nothing, nor means anything...

I see from your garage that you have "Stage 3" cams... What are those? What are they based from?? Power figures??? Anything.....?

?? I told you the cams I have??

my bike pulled 121 with stage 7 and aftermarket exhaust.Then 127 with cams porting and stage 7.Then 131 adding the flatslides.

This is with yamaha oversize pistons,10.5-1 compression.That was a stupid mistake that I made for a cheaper price.I will never build another bottom end with out going with 12.5-1 compression after market pistons.

I should be in the 140 plus range somewhere.

Thank you.

So it seems that those cams are worth approx. 5-7 RWHP or so- which is a pretty significant gain of 5% for just those, port job not-with-standing.

Would you be able to use 93 octane pump fuel with 12.5 CR? I wonder what the DCR ended up being in your engine with the 10.5 SCR slugs and those cams?

Interesting. ;)

And..........?????? Details?????!!!!?????

Just saying "I have this" without providing details pertinent to the discussion that we'd all like to know, gives us nothing, nor means anything...

I see from your garage that you have "Stage 3" cams... What are those? What are they based from?? Power figures??? Anything.....?

A little harsh for this forum maybe????

Rusty

Spend a couple grand and see how it turns out.

The vmax engine mainly needs 2 things,higher compression and more cubic inches.

Mine runs very well how it is now.Just not as much HP as I was looking for.It will happen,I just still need to decide what I am going to do next.

Having a spare 1300 now opens up some possibilities without losing riding time.

I don't have any problem spending the money on what I want, but I never go into something blindly that I've never done before and I'll do all my engineering *first* before I spend one dime or turn a single wrench. That is why I specifically asked you what the DCR was with your combination, as that bit of data is very basic, but extremely important to get the right cams the first time so you're not wondering "did I do enough"..

I'm a mechanical engineer by education and we build automotive EFI drag racing & street engines for our customers in my day-to-day business here and the one thing I've always found to be true about any brand of motor, regardless of layout is- that they are just air pumps and typically react to the same modifications no matter what their configuration.

I prefer to build engines with custom-configured components that fit a specific need, rather than throwing a bunch of parts together and "hoping" it all works out. At the going rate of regular "production" V Max parts prices are at now, custom parts are still right in the ballpark of those, so the choice is even easier to go custom, instead of "production". Plus, it's just fun sorting all of this out. :)

I don't typically like sleeving anything unless I have to, so I think a 1mm oversize, forged piston that puts the SCR to 11.5:1, should leave you with a 9.14 DCR with those cams I mentioned before. That would be the cat's tail I think.

The larger bore would unshroud the valves, improve quench and you'd still have the integrity of the factory cylinder sleeve.

Just thinking out loud..

I don't have any problem spending the money on what I want, but I never go into something blindly that I've never done before and I'll do all my engineering *first* before I spend one dime or turn a single wrench. That is why I specifically asked you what the DCR was with your combination, as that bit of data is very basic, but extremely important to get the right cams the first time so you're not wondering "did I do enough"..

I'm a mechanical engineer by education and we build automotive EFI drag racing & street engines for our customers in my day-to-day business here and the one thing I've always found to be true about any brand of motor, regardless of layout is- that they are just air pumps and typically react to the same modifications no matter what their configuration.

I prefer to build engines with custom-configured components that fit a specific need, rather than throwing a bunch of parts together and "hoping" it all works out. At the going rate of regular "production" V Max parts prices are at now, custom parts are still right in the ballpark of those, so the choice is even easier to go custom, instead of "production". Plus, it's just fun sorting all of this out. :)

I don't typically like sleeving anything unless I have to, so I think a 1mm oversize, forged piston that puts the SCR to 11.5:1, should leave you with a 9.14 DCR with those cams I mentioned before. That would be the cat's tail I think.

The larger bore would unshroud the valves, improve quench and you'd still have the integrity of the factory cylinder sleeve.

Just thinking out loud..

How about designing/building an affordable EFI system for the VMax?

Nope, not interested..... Been stung like that before...

About a year ago, I was asked to to develop an aftermarket, high compression piston for another toy I have here, where there was *nothing* available yet. Everyone and their brother said, "I want one...I want one...I want one, count me in, hey...I want one"! The demand seemed to justify the cost of production.

So, I went ahead and got it done, didn't ask a penny from anyone and produced a small production on my own dime. It was a 100% success, I had dyno graphs to prove it's benefit and the final cost was under $85/ea.

Well, all of a sudden when it was time to pony-up, those cowardly cock-roaches ran for cover when it was time for those "cheap azzes" to open up their wallet to buy one from me at my cost and not one single piston was ever sold...*NOT ONE*! To this day, *everyone* stuck me with the check, whereas a couple of weeks before, they we're jumping up and down that they "wanted one". Talk is cheap and online buyers are even cheaper.....

People are "cheap azzes" and either they want premium parts for Wal-Mart prices or they're all talk and no action. Most of the time it's a lot of both.....

To answer your question again- I don't want any part of it and if I do something along those lines, it will be for my personal machine.

That's what Ebay's for... If you'd have put them on Ebay as a custom one off piston that you have dyno proven performance numbers on, I have to believe they'd of sold...

Maybe not though...

Near St. Louis.

They close to where you live isn't it Jeff? :whistlin:

Back