Pitting on wheels

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldguy

Reaction score
My '04 has some pitting on the wheels. I've tried several different polishes, with no results. These are factory wheels. Any ideas?
Thanks.
Jack.

mine looked like hell. powdercoated 'em black.

More then likely it's pitted in the clear coating which is very thick on the OEM wheels. So you can try and polish all day long but until you strip the coating you probably won't get the pits out. We can chrome them for you but it's not super cheap. Coating is usually a lot less.

Sean

Powdercoat is prob the cheapest, seriously i cant see putting money into stock wheels, save the green for a set of 17 or 18" radials. JIM

it was worth it for me. powdercoat was $200. new radials was at least $1k.

Please bear with my modest knowledge here. Are you talking about powdercoating to black and apx. how much $ to do it?
Jack.

you can powdercoat the wheels any colour you want. how far are you from morley? he can probably get you as good of deal as any, esp if you need him to remove the bearings n such.

typical prices are from $75 - $125 per wheel. i paid about $100 per wheel.

I have wheels powdercoated in a light textured finish and the wear like iron and are easy to clean! I just had a set of my 1985 wheels painted in gloss black saphire metalflake. I have yet to mount tires and cannot attest to durability but the color choice is unlimited and it is reasonably priced. I'll try to get pictures posted when I can. Patmax

I'm getting my wheels ready to be sent to a local powdercoaters for a gunmetal metallic type coating and they are only asking $60 a wheel including the clear coat. I had them do the grab rail just so I could see the color and the quality. Looks good! Its alot cheaper than chrome and they have every color that Crayola has. I'm doing the wheels (due to pitting and other clear coat issues), bottom part of scoops and 1985 sidecovers (polished on top) and the triple tree assembly/fork brace. I will post pics of everything when done.

grab rail 006.jpg

I'm getting my wheels ready to be sent to a local powdercoaters for a gunmetal metallic type coating and they are only asking $60 a wheel including the clear coat. I had them do the grab rail just so I could see the color and the quality. Looks good! Its alot cheaper than chrome and they have every color that Crayola has. I'm doing the wheels (due to pitting and other clear coat issues), bottom part of scoops and 1985 sidecovers (polished on top) and the triple tree assembly/fork brace. I will post pics of everything when done.

View attachment 13661

Would be interested in how the wheels look and come out like :punk:

The late model gen 1's must have used cheap clear coat on the wheels since the 2005 I picked up last summer with only 1030 miles on it already had pitting on the rear wheel. They always slack somewhere. I remember on my 1995 it was on the valve covers.

Somebody took that crappy clear coat off my wheels before I bought my Max. These wheels polish nice, BUT they don't stay nice. Constant polishing instead of riding? Don't think so. I'm going the powder coat route, Like that gunmetal finish on the grabrail.
Steve-o

Here is the color. The first pic of the grab rail is a little off as the flash makes the color look lighter than it actually is. This is a very dark grey and looks black at night. Sorry I left my grubby greasy fingerprints on it before I took my pic, but I just installed the bearings and seals. I choose the color I did as I thought black was too common, but I wanted to keep it sinister looking.

I am doing the triple trees, handlebar riser, grab rail, front and rear wheels and scoop and side cover lowers in this color.

Wheel 001.jpg

Attachments

• Wheel.jpg
    Wheel.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 25
hey how'd the bearings work out? i haven't used my set yet. still deciding what to do with the wheels. resisting the urge to call kosman.

hey how'd the bearings work out? i haven't used my set yet. still deciding what to do with the wheels. resisting the urge to call kosman.

They seem fine, but haven't had a chance to ride the bike yet though.

Back